Food

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Food

Postby Mac » 14 May 2014, 14:09

Nope, not food for thought. Food.
Being in a vicious training cycle, again, has me hungry! That and I tasted the best potato salad I have had in like forever, last Sunday.
One word, Bacon. I never thought of bacon in potato salad before. The homemade mayonnaise might have helped too, but, YUM!
Okay back to your usual perusing of the board. . .unless you have something food wise that is so outstanding you want to share?
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Re: Food

Postby Strawhat » 14 May 2014, 19:16

Beef Jerky.

I can't stop. Seriously. I just downed a bag, and I'm already thinking about opening another (and I've already eaten dinner).

I've heard that bacon jerky is quite the experience as well, but I've not found any locally (although I've only checked a couple stores).
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby mrinku » 15 May 2014, 17:00

Chips (i.e. fries, not bagged ones) that have been in the bae-marie just long enough to go from crspy to slightly soggy. Heaven.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 17 May 2014, 08:04

Okay that needs a translation. Bae-marie?
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mrinku » 17 May 2014, 14:12

Sorry, it's spelt Bain-Marie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie

The take away version (very common in Australia) is basically a bench with rectangular metal trays sitting on the water with a glass hood. Something like this:

And here are some lovely chippies. Yum!

Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 19 May 2014, 17:50

I do so love fries with my chips!
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 20 May 2014, 15:12

I've been on a strange diet for the past 6-weeks and managed to loose nearly 20lbs so far with just a moderate amount of exercise. It's pretty simple really, eat what you want every other day. On the "diet" days you eat 500-700 calories, no more, no less if you can help it. I don't feel hungry (today is a "diet" day) and I don't stuff myself (I don't feel the need) on days that I eat what I want. My blood sugar is normal, which it hasn't been for a long time, and I feel better and think more clearly. Tomorrow I'm gonna fire up the grill for some bacon cheeseburgers and make some mashed potato salad.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 20 May 2014, 18:20

Good Job!
I am in training for a Sprint Triathlon, so my "diet" has changed. I eat what I want! But I do not eat as much as you would think, just do not feel hungry.
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 20 May 2014, 21:35

I've been thinking about that one too, Lonnie. I know someone who's had good success with it, though he was VERY overweight (I'm not quite). You type 2 diabetic like me?
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 21 May 2014, 05:30

Borderline. Never officially diagnosed but told I had to watch it or I'd go over the edge. It's actually quite easy, the diet, you just have to remember to drink lots of water on your "on" days to curb your hunger if 600-calories isn't quite enough. And buy a kitchen scale if you don't have one.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Next

Return to Off Topic!