Curling. Yes it says CURLING

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Curling. Yes it says CURLING

Postby Mac » 31 May 2014, 07:05

I am taking curling lessons.
Oh yes indeed. I am a Scot that cannot golf to save my soul, I have a hard time driving the cart, well at least the way some people thing it should be driven :twisted:
I cannot play the pipes, though love the music, especially if I know it annoys people :twisted: :twisted:
But Curling? Well now, that appeals to me. And, well I did join the new Curling Club before we had any rocks or brooms, we did have ice though so we are not totally inept!
Seems I have a knack for it, which means I do not fall on my arse every time I step on the ice.
Anyway, I signed up for the instructional league. Lessons and Beer. What could go wrong! ;)
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Re: Curling. Yes it says CURLING

Postby bvandewalker » 31 May 2014, 13:13

I had to look Curling up. So its like shuffle on ice, uses big rocks instead of pucks, brooms instead of sticks, and it is Scottish. Curling actually reminds me of broom ball even though the later is basically a modified version of hockey and is not Scottish to my knowledge.
Last edited by bvandewalker on 31 May 2014, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby crazyharborc » 31 May 2014, 19:12

"Curling".....Naw, no thank you, my hair is too short :P :D
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby Mac » 01 Jun 2014, 20:09

Oh ye of little faith.
It is not shuffle board on ice. It is making a 44 pound polished piece of granite curl the way you want. The ice has to be prepared. My Hockey playing sons whined at the houses on the ice until they skated after curling. Never was the ice so smooth, so flat, so. . .even. The difficult part is the broom. You can easily burn a rock and that is just not allowed.
And the best part is: Winner BUYS!!!!
(yeah I am not not that good at it yet!)
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby wmyers » 02 Jul 2014, 23:03

I'm surprised there are people who do not know about curling!

In elementary schools students learn to curl. High schools have curling teams.

Not to mention, it's an Olympic sport, too.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Mac » 03 Jul 2014, 18:29

Curling is fun! If you get to be Skip. Never having to sweep is nice!
You do get a work out sweeping that is for sure!
Summer league is over. Looking forward to Fall League and Winter league!
(Cannot start Fall League until NHL Prospect camp is over, and then Detroit Red Wings Training Camp.)
Mac
Lieutenant

Return to Off Topic!