Photos in Posts.

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Photos in Posts.

Postby Darsc Zacal » 05 Jun 2014, 19:00

Is it possible for people to link to photos or hide them behind spoilers or limit their file size, perhaps even limit to 1 or 2 per post.

Some posts in various threads have become so photo centric that those threads are now unviewable to me due to problems downloading so many large files over a mobile device.

I would like to continue being part of the conversations here, but unless this issue is addressed, I will simply have to avoid some threads and/or some of the posters who post here.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Re: Photos in Posts.

Postby mrinku » 05 Jun 2014, 21:50

Darsc, is it possible to change your forum or device browser settings to screen out images above a certain size? Just wondering.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 05 Jun 2014, 22:54

Unfortunately not.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby mrinku » 06 Jun 2014, 20:05

Well, I always decrease the size of my own images, normally to 1/4 of the original. And those are already cropped to the subject of interest. I'd encourage everyone to do the same - there's no need to post an image wider than the screen, really. And good netiquette to reduce your own uploads. Typically the original pictures I take are 2MB, but the reduced detail pictures I post are less than 100kB.

But I'll try to make any outsourced ones links rather than use the "[img]" tags.

EDIT:
Darsc, just found the forum setting you need. Go to User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options

There's an option there to "Display Images Within Posts" you can set to "No". That should fix your problem, hopefully.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 07 Jun 2014, 00:58

Thanks! I've reset my settings to not view images. It's too bad it's an all or nothing option as I will be missing out part of the discussion, but hopefully I can follow along enough that I can still be part of the discussion(s).
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby mrinku » 07 Jun 2014, 01:48

It's actually not too bad. I tested it myself, and what you get is an icon of the filename and what size it is. Click on the icon and you get the picture. So you should be able to avoid overly large ones and pick and choose what and when you look at.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 07 Jun 2014, 22:25

mrinku wrote:It's actually not too bad. I tested it myself, and what you get is an icon of the filename and what size it is. Click on the icon and you get the picture. So you should be able to avoid overly large ones and pick and choose what and when you look at.

:D Thanks!
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Jack007 » 07 Jun 2014, 23:53

Darsc Zacal wrote: Some posts in various threads have become so photo centric that those threads are now unviewable to me due to problems downloading so many large files over a mobile device.

I can certainly understand your frustration. The first couple of times I ran into that issue, it actually took almost 5 min for the photo/ page to completely open. I was ready to bail! :evil:
But 'hell bent' to see the photos, so waited. I have also made the same mistake with a few of my earlier posts on the old Forum.
I advise anyone that does post their photos, and Please Do Try, there are some very talented people out there and they are very appreciated.
But if you can try to practice with a Photo shop program of some kind when you have a little extra time. God knows it helped me, and I needed al I could get. LOL
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Return to Off Topic!