Who uses an airbrush?

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Who uses an airbrush?

Postby Mac » 17 Sep 2014, 16:27

I need help getting mine to work. :cry:
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Re: Who uses an airbrush?

Postby Lonnie » 18 Sep 2014, 20:23

What do you have and what kinds of paint are you using? Do you have a compressor?
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 19 Sep 2014, 20:48

Badger Patriot. Seems nice and clean air flows fine, thinned paint added to it and all I get is bubbles in the cup. :evil:
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby Lonnie » 20 Sep 2014, 18:16

What kind of paint are you using? What are you thinning it with? I still don't know if you have a compressor either; it makes a difference. Spare no details. I've used my Aztec Airbrush for years and had no problems with it other than those I created myself (like by not cleaning a tip or the like).
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 21 Sep 2014, 17:32

I have a compressor, with water trap. Set for 10psi through the regulator, but it doesnt matter if I attempt it a5 PSI or 40PSI, the paint just bubbles in the cup.
I thin Tamiyas acrylics with Tamiya thinner, it bubble. I thin GW paints with distilled water, it bubbles. I thin Vallejo with Vallejo thinner and it bubbles, all paint is the consitancy of milk or thinner, nothing comes out of the tip, except air. :evil:
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 22 Sep 2014, 06:34

Try using rubbing alcohol in a 50/50 mix with GW paints. While I hate to promote anything from GW, I've had nothing but good luck with that mixture. Water and other thinners do not work, in my experience. For the 2002 Toy Fair in New York (and later at Games Day Baltimore) I painted 30 Imperial Guard tanks and about 400 Gaunts/Hormagaunts for a display table (along with the table itself - an underground Imperial complex being overrun by Tyranids).

The issue might be that you're using a gravity feed cup too. I use a draw bottle (bottle filled with the paint mixture at the bottom of the airbrush where the paint is drawn up the tube rather than fed from a hopper). The hopper is great for small jobs with the right mixtures but nothing beats the reservoir on a draw bottle for big jobs and the draw bottle method is more forgiving.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Mac » 22 Sep 2014, 16:23

I'll try it. . . :?
Thanks!
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby Templar22 » 24 Sep 2014, 20:48

For the record I found this all very helpful.
Templar22
Cadet

Return to Off Topic!