Great Movie to Watch While Building Figures!

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Great Movie to Watch While Building Figures!

Postby wmyers » 11 Oct 2014, 20:46

In turning on Netflix this evening I did a quick search for Troy (which I've never seen but a student told me he thought it was on there now - this was brought up after my lecture on Socrates) - to no avail. I think I like 'Helen of Troy' better but I have to really give it a try to know.

So I searched for Samurai and then Knight, I believe, and a recommendation came up I had never heard of before. It is 'Day of the Siege' (2012).

It's a Polish/Italian production (in English - not dubbed) about the (attempted) Ottoman invasion of Italy in 1683.

I realize WGF does not make 'Pike and Shotte' figures (at least yet) but it is a very good show (even if it looks like a made for television movie) and perfect to build to.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Re: Great Movie to Watch While Building Figures!

Postby Badger » 12 Oct 2014, 00:44

I find that watching a film you've seen inside and out and love to bits is the best way to go. Your main focus then is building and not watching, but you remember the scenes.
Badger
Cadet

Postby mawelch74 » 16 Oct 2014, 11:07

wmyers wrote:
So I searched for Samurai and then Knight, I believe, and a recommendation came up I had never heard of before. It is 'Day of the Siege' (2012).

I had this in my queue for a while and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. Really had a hard time getting through it, though the description had me a bit excited. I may have to try it again at some point.

Troy is... eh... I don't know. I suppose it's a good, honest retelling of the classic epic, they certainly did it up on a grand scale, but some of the acting was a bit hamfisted(mostly the accents) and the amount of oiled up Brad Pitt constantly on-screen was more than I'll ever need to see in two lifetimes.

That being said, it wasn't the horror show that Alexander turned out to be and I've watched it more than several times because it really is beautifully shot, particularly in HD.
mawelch74
Cadet

Postby wmyers » 17 Oct 2014, 23:54

mawelch74 wrote:
wmyers wrote:

I had this in my queue for a while and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. Really had a hard time getting through it, though the description had me a bit excited. I may have to try it again at some point.

Troy is... eh... I don't know. I suppose it's a good, honest retelling of the classic epic, they certainly did it up on a grand scale, but some of the acting was a bit hamfisted(mostly the accents) and the amount of oiled up Brad Pitt constantly on-screen was more than I'll ever need to see in two lifetimes.

That being said, it wasn't the horror show that Alexander turned out to be and I've watched it more than several times because it really is beautifully shot, particularly in HD.

I admit I fell asleep once about 1/3 of the way in, but the dialogue is what captivated me - much more historically accurate than most and not trying to be "politically correct" or modernist. That is why I think it would be good to build to, you can listen but you do not have to watch the screen "religiously".

I like older classics like Quo Vadis, Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Cleopatra (1963), Helen of Troy (1956), The Vikings (1958), Ten Commandments, The Robe, Fall of the Roman Empire (1964), (I love the cinematography in 'Gladiator' but it is just a remake of of this movie), Demetrius and the Gladiators. We shouldn't forget El Cid and Ivanhoe (1952) nor Robin Hood, Knights of the Round Table, Prince Valiant, The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Story of Robin Hood (1952). TV series' like 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (1955 - 1960) and 'The Adventures of Sir Lancelot' (1956 - 57). All shows made before I was born.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Return to Off Topic!