Classic Television

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Re: Classic Television

Postby bvandewalker » 29 Apr 2014, 16:24

Come on guy everyone knows that the Ancient old kingdom Egyptians made electric batters to help light the tunnels in the pyramids:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery) :P
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Lord_Bryon » 30 Apr 2014, 07:43

Well the Egyptians needed a portable power source to light up their light bulbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendera_light
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Mac » 30 Apr 2014, 17:21

Ancient Aliens.
It is on the History Channel it must be true.
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby Jack007 » 24 May 2014, 14:59

I havent been cking this topic in a while so this could take a bit (you’ve been warned) :twisted:

Lord_Bryon wrote:The shows that inspired me as a kid where.. Alf,..
Bryon, I think that alone helps to explain 'soooo' much. LOL And I have to say, I thought that 'self-portrait' looked like another familiar face that needed a shave.

Space Ghost, Space 1999, and one of "the" best shows ever for a laugh "the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show" (later I think it became "the .. hour") and yes, the 'horrible' cartoon violence... was part of the 'gag'! What was wrong with these people anyway?!
I totally agree with the idea, these shows were much better, before, they were redone. Its gone from funny to sad, now how the term "New and Improved", usally means it will be Neither once they've finished "improving it". :x

bvandewalker, I had almost forgotten, even though I have the dvd set right on my desk in my room! "Starship Troopers: The Roughneck Chronicles", how bad is that for memory? What 'ticked me off, was the fact they not only never completley made the entire series, they even left out a couple of the later episodes as well. But still one of my favorite shows. The CGI was reallly well done.
Like the 'original' Battlestar Galactica, SST:TRC also used some rerun 'file' footage, but not nearly as often as BSG. Your so right, that had to be one seriously tight FX budget.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 26 May 2014, 01:27

I don't know if they completed it, but I know one can watch all the episodes of rough necks on crackle, another good animation is "viper" which is about mercenaries riding around in transforming mecha after the world falls apart (again), it is in the anime section. :lol:
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 26 May 2014, 20:13

bvandewalker wrote:I don't know if they completed it, but I know one can watch all the episodes of rough necks on crackle, another good animation is "viper" which is about mercenaries riding around in transforming mecha after the world falls apart (again), it is in the anime section. :lol:

I will have to check out 'Viper'. AI will also have to check out Roughnecks on there too, I have them but downloaded and they are dvd quality and not HD.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Jack007 » 28 May 2014, 00:24

sigh

just when you think you have it right.. ya dont. I was looking over my aforementioned dvd set, and it turns out I had the name wrong (surprise) the Correct Name of the CGI series is..
ROUGHNECKS: THE STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES
The series was intended for 40 episodes, however 33, 38, 39 and even 40 the final episode, rightly nameded "The Final Inferno" were scrapped and never made.

I am just old enough to recall watching some of the last of 'puppet' sci-fi shows, "The Thunderbirds" & vague memories of "Captain Scarlet". I had almost forgotten watching UFO, how I could have forgotten that I'll never know. But fun memories all.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Darsc Zacal » 28 May 2014, 01:20

I remember Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet quite well.
Also Joe 90. Loved his flying car thingy.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Mac » 30 May 2014, 12:14

Lots of puppet shows, SuperCar, Thunderbirds, there was one set on a submarine, or underwater city as well, the bad guys all looked like the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the good guys gained access to their secret lair by blowing bubbles in a glass of water, which for some reason made sense to the creatures. Yeah it is hilarious now but back then it was cool! :lol:
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby Lord_Bryon » 30 May 2014, 13:49

I think I've seen the aquatic pupet show you describe. It's name escapes me
Lord_Bryon
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic!