Classic Television

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Classic Television

Postby Mac » 24 Mar 2014, 18:45

might as well start this on this new forum!
I was lucky as a kid in that, while there were only five channels on tv, one of them was the CBC, Canadian Broadcasting Company! Hockey Night in Canada, and all those loverly BBC cast offs!
And of course Hogans Heros, F Troop, Get Smart, Batman, Green Hornet, Flipper. . . :lol:
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Re: Classic Television

Postby bvandewalker » 24 Mar 2014, 22:14

Really, that is a quit bit farther back than me, I think (I am only 25). For me it was Mighty Max, Inspector Gadget, power rangers, Digimon, NASCAR racers (the cartoon), Starship Troopers, Monster Rancher... Heck I never really stopped watching the cartoons, I just see them on netflexs now.
Last edited by bvandewalker on 24 Mar 2014, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Rick » 24 Mar 2014, 22:22

heck the channels I had was 3, 6, 10, 13, 40, then later on there was cable with HBO all one channel of it, then along came MTV which was awesome, then it became the garbage it is now.

Now a days hundreds of channels to watch and nothing to watch, so sad.
Rick
Chief

Postby Murphy's Law » 24 Mar 2014, 22:49

Three channels on the TV, and one was PBS. Supposedly we got CBS to but the reception was so bad it wasn't worth the effort. Some days the best thing on TV was "sewing with Nancy" :cry: Spent a lot of time outside, gaming and reading books as a result.
Murphy's Law
Cadet

Postby bvandewalker » 24 Mar 2014, 22:53

I know how you feel, for a while all I had for good evening TV were the educational channels foreign language channels. One of the funniest things that has happen to me was my introduction to Korean history dramas. we (my family) were channel surfing and we came across a show in Korean with subtitles and really good acting. We got sucked into it in a matter of minutes. The name of the show was "Di Joe Young", it was about this almost legendary Korean King Aruthor like figure.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby mrinku » 25 Mar 2014, 02:31

Luxury!

Growing up in Launceston, Tasmania, there were two channels - the commercial one (channel 9) and the public broadcaster (ABC - Australian Broadcasting Commission).

Mind you, we pretty much got all the good UK and US shows regardless. :)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 25 Mar 2014, 17:45

The Munsters, The Addams Family, Rat Patrol, Combat, Mission Impossible. . . Space 1999?
Yeah, I am that old.
(My oldest son is 29.)
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby crazyharborc » 25 Mar 2014, 17:59

Mac......We had one channel with our first TV (I was born in 1944). Paved streets AND in door plumbing too!

Our local TV networks/stations had thrilling black and white on their programs, screens. Davey Crocket, Gunsmoke, Milton Burrel (spelling?), all kinds of long gone programs (performers long gone to). Yes, that included I Love Lucy.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby Darsc Zacal » 26 Mar 2014, 01:37

We had three channels out on the prairies. Wonderful World of Disney and The Mickey Mouse Club are probably the earliest shows I can remember. Then there was the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour with all the violence included as nature intended.
Captain Scarlett, Thunderbirds, Space Ghost before he was reinvented, Joe Ninety, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Kimba the White Lion, Marine Boy, Johnny Quest. Saturday mornings were a great time.

Batman, Star Trek, and Hockey were all watched in black and white.
I remember the first time I saw them in colour at a friends house.

Young little mind = Blown!

Someone mentioned Space1999 so I have to mention U.F.O.
Those SHADO interceptors were the coolest thing.
(I still have mine from Dinky Toys.)

Geeze there are a ton of tv shows I haven't seen in years.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Lonnie » 26 Mar 2014, 04:42

Why is everyone leaving out Rocket Robinhood? And U-F-O? How could Moon Base Alpha have ever evolved without Shadow's secret moon base?
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Next

Return to Off Topic!