Classic Television

Conversations unrelated to Wargames Factory and wargaming.

Re: Classic Television

Postby Mac » 30 May 2014, 14:01

See?! Frustrating isn't it!
The girl that couldn't talk was Marina
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby wmyers » 08 Jul 2014, 23:32

Lord_Bryon wrote:I think I've seen the aquatic pupet show you describe. It's name escapes me

They are not "puppets" (that's a hand through the "thing"). They were marionettes (hence the opening statement of "Filmed in Super-Marionation" (strings from above to control the "thing").

The show you are thinking of is 'Stingray' (1964-65). It was also apparently the first British children's series to be filmed in colour.

Gerry Anderson (RIP) and his wife Sylvia were the inspiration and creative force behind all those great shows (they are still shown in syndication). Do not forget Space 1999 - even if it did to have marionettes, it was still a Gerry and Sylvia Anderson production. The first was 'Supercar' and then 'Fireball XL5'. Stingray came next with Thunderbirds also coming out the same year (1964). Captain Scarlet was 1967 and really improved the realism. Joe 90 was a year later in 1968. All these are before my time, but I did enjoy them on reruns as both a child and later on as an university student (when the next wave of releases in 1990's came about).

Captain Scarlett made a reappearance in CGI form before Gerry Anderson died. Thunderbirds is apparently set to make a reappearance as well, using voice talents from the original series! Hopefully it will be a great success. I think, in a way, those shows were ahead of their time. Especially the first season of Space 1999. (If anyone has not had the please of viewing Space 1999, and does not want to buy the series on DVD (I don't think the Bluray version is out yet - funny how long it is taking tech to change over now) someone has posted good quality full episodes of Space 1999 on youtube. Well worth checking out, in my opinion.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 09 Jul 2014, 07:20

And don't forget U.F.O. without which Space 1999 would never have been made (the proposed 2nd season of U.F.O., which was cancelled, morphed into Space 1999. Apparently Gerry had put a lot of effort and funding into the 2nd season and didn't want to see his pre-production work go to waste so he pitched a new idea which was picked up).
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Rick » 09 Jul 2014, 08:40

Lonnie wrote:And don't forget U.F.O. without which Space 1999 would never have been made (the proposed 2nd season of U.F.O., which was cancelled, morphed into Space 1999. Apparently Gerry had put a lot of effort and funding into the 2nd season and didn't want to see his pre-production work go to waste so he pitched a new idea which was picked up).

I had the toy ship and figures from Space: 1999
Rick
Chief

Postby wmyers » 09 Jul 2014, 10:53

I'm not sure how much of a market there would be, but boy, would I love to see WGF doing 28mm sets of figures for Space 1999, Captain Scarlet, etc!
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Darsc Zacal » 10 Jul 2014, 02:12

wmyers wrote:I'm not sure how much of a market there would be, but boy, would I love to see WGF doing 28mm sets of figures for Space 1999, Captain Scarlet, etc!

At least two of us anyway. :)
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Previous

Return to Off Topic!