Reposted: Zombie Apocalypse Questions

Discuss Wargames Factory's Dark Future products.

Re: Reposted: Zombie Apocalypse Questions

Postby bvandewalker » 07 Apr 2015, 17:52

I think Lonnie would than have said something about WWZ zombies being fire proof or some such nonsense :lol: (he was really obsessed with that book). Also, I could be wrong on this, but I think most first and second world powers have all but retired napalm in its many forms, I know that the only US military branch to still carry flame throwers is the Marines (although they might bring it back in an AZ event).

Edite: How was Zed or Alive, has anyone played it yet.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 07 Apr 2015, 18:18

I've been trying to get to ZoA, but haven't had much luck.

Both kids have now boomeranged, and hopefully that's the end of that business. On to getting some hobby space set up...maybe after the taxes get taken care of.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Jack007 » 07 Apr 2015, 18:38

bvandewalker wrote:I think Lonnie would than have said something about WWZ zombies being fire proof or some such nonsense.
Fireproof Zombies.. well thats all we need. Talk about 'giving up 'Smokin'" :o

bvandewalker wrote: Also, I could be wrong on this, but I think most first and second world powers have all but retired napalm in its many forms, I know that the only US military branch to still carry flame throwers is the Marines (although they might bring it back in an AZ event).
Actually I was thinking more on the large scale, i.e. simply the old reliable bomb. Also, I was not aware that 'any' branch of service of any country for that matter, still had flame throwers. I am very sure (though never researched for details) that the U.S. and other countries have kept some in storage. It may be an out dated weapon, but then again like the bayonet, it too has its uses.

Edite: How was Zed or Alive, has anyone played it yet.
Who does that game? Now Im getting curious..
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 07 Apr 2015, 19:12

Jack007[quote="bvandewalker wrote: Also, I could be wrong on this, but I think most first and second world powers have all but retired napalm in its many forms, I know that the only US military branch to still carry flame throwers is the Marines (although they might bring it back in an AZ event).
Actually I was thinking more on the large scale, i.e. simply the old reliable bomb.
Also, I was not aware that 'any' branch of service of any country for that matter, still had flame throwers. I am very sure (though never researched for details) that the U.S. and other countries have kept some in storage. It may be an out dated weapon, but then again like the bayonet, it too has its uses.
[/quote]

Well I was talking napalm weapons in general, I did say "in its many forms" :lol: , I mentioned flamethrowers because I knew more about their status. I believe the old napalm bombs have been retired and dismantled in favor of newer and less volatile fuel air bombs (again I could be wrong on that).

I do know that in the 2000's (at least) the USA marines were still using Vietnam era Flamethrowers as a special weapons option (they are just perfect for those tough to reach cave dwelling insurgents :twisted: ). I also believe they are/were being used by the Swiss police for riot control, by the Sweds to clear snow covered roads, and by us Californians to start controlled burns.
Last edited by bvandewalker on 15 Apr 2015, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 12 Apr 2015, 17:24

Jack007 wrote:Who does (Zed or Alive)? Now Im getting curious..

They're a new company called "Rust Devil Games".

http://www.zedoralive.com/

We funded several additional settings, but haven't heard much lately. The guys behind RDG all seem to have "day jobs" so progress is sporadic. The main rules are out, the figure flats are out, and the custom card decks are out.

Settings "on the way" include: UK, the Southwest, Russia, Japan, Africa, and South America. Loot decks are still in the works.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby bvandewalker » 13 Apr 2015, 20:48

Just given the battle reports, it appears to be just another modern skirmisher with zombies, I am disappointed :( .

As to different settings, all you really need for a game like that to simulate different nations is a good set of weather and terrain rules and maybe different loot in the crates (guns should normally be rare in countries that have outlawed civilian use of firearms whereas places like the middle east should have AK47s every where). The cultural stuff should just be role play by the players.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 13 Apr 2015, 22:09

I think RDG are trying to give each region a district selection of groups as well as selecting equipment. From what I've read (only about half the book) this fills a nice gap between skirmish games and RPGs. You can easily do pickup games, but it really seems to be more for an established game-night with a cast of regulars.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby bvandewalker » 15 Apr 2015, 16:30

Meh, seen it before, the skirmish/RPG game idea I mean, one could even argue that most RPGs are skirmish games which just happen to have interactive fluff and don't always need minis to play. When I first heard about it, I was kind of hoping for a mass combat game with a modern setting, which I could then use to do other things with besides zombies and justify more modern plastic sets, (so yeah still disappointed :| ).

Given that the groups are of 5 to 10 people, I would think all that would be needed for new district groups is a balanced number generator and character sheets, unless they are making Heroscape abilities for them.
bvandewalker
Captain

Previous

Return to Dark Futures