Reposted: Zombie Apocalypse Questions

Discuss Wargames Factory's Dark Future products.

Re: Reposted: Zombie Apocalypse Questions

Postby bvandewalker » 01 May 2014, 23:32

Darq wrote:Its a matter of training - not breed. A poorly trained dog would be little to no use, except possibly as a warning. A well trained dog, won't bite unless told to - though nothing I am aware of in ZOMPOC fiction states Zombies are poisonous - nor does it make sense that they would be. Me I would go with a medium sized mutt or three. If you are talking a mini set, I would expect some mutts, a german shepherd a pit bull and then maybe some variety iconics (poodle, bull dog, chihuahua).

A solid choice except for the Iconics, those are lunch. :twisted:

It isn't poison but cross species infection that a dog might get if it bites a zombie making it turn into a zombie dog. that's what we are talking about, which does show up in fiction. Also if we use the "doesn't make sense" argument than the zombie by infection myth wouldn't make a lick sense either particularly the part were the virus kills you and brings you back as a brain eater as there is nothing in real life does that (even the parasites that take over their hosts can't do that).

I actually don't see how there could be a zombie army vs. survivor army unless there was an intelligent force behind the zombies, more for the player versus player angle than the GM and friends if done that way, which I think is better over all. :lol:
Last edited by bvandewalker on 07 Apr 2015, 17:56, edited 3 times in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Darq » 02 May 2014, 09:49

bvandewalker wrote:
Darq wrote:Its a matter of training - not breed. A poorly trained dog would be little to no use, except possibly as a warning. A well trained dog, won't bite unless told to - though nothing I am aware of in ZOMPOC fiction states Zombies are poisonous - nor does it make sense that they would be. Me I would go with a medium sized mutt or three. If you are talking a mini set, I would expect some mutts, a german shepherd a pit bull and then maybe some variety iconics (poodle, bull dog, chihuahua).

A solid choice except for the Iconics, those are lunch. :twisted:

It isn't poison but cross species infection that a dog might get if it bites a zombie making it turn into a zombie dog that we are talking about, which does show up in fiction. Also if we use the "doesn't make sense" argument than the zombie by infection myth wouldn't make a lick sense either particularly the part were the virus kills you and brings you back as a brain eater as their is nothing real life does that (even the parasites that take over their hosts can't do that).

I actually don't see how their could be a zombie army vs. survivor army unless there was an intelligent force behind the zombies, more for the player versus player angle than the GM and friends if done that way, which I think is better over all. :lol:

Its very rare for a disease to be able to cross vectors - though other species may be (and often are) carriers of the disease. /Agree with regards to the nature of the disease, but I have always subscribed to more of a 28 days model where the host is crazy, not "dead". ZERT forums have a couple of threads with regards to the nature of such a disease :D.

With respect, my family once owned a miniature poodle that was smarter than any working dog I ever met ;)
Darq
Cadet

Postby Strawhat » 02 May 2014, 10:50

bvandewalker wrote:I actually don't see how their could be a zombie army vs. survivor army unless there was an intelligent force behind the zombies, more for the player versus player angle than the GM and friends if done that way, which I think is better over all. :lol:

That just depends on how "dumb" you want your undead, and what kind of special considerations the zeds have.

But, yeah, you can always have the shamblers just move towards the nearest target and try to eat it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Lonnie » 02 May 2014, 10:52

Read WWZ. Specifically the Battle of Yonkers chapter.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 02 May 2014, 13:56

Darq wrote:Its very rare for a disease to be able to cross vectors - though other species may be (and often are) carriers of the disease. /Agree with regards to the nature of the disease, but I have always subscribed to more of a 28 days model where the host is crazy, not "dead". ZERT forums have a couple of threads with regards to the nature of such a disease :D.

That is actually the only realistic way you could play them.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby bvandewalker » 13 May 2014, 18:59

Lonnie wrote:Read WWZ. Specifically the Battle of Yonkers chapter.

Read an over view of the chapter here:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yonkers

The main problem with it is that the writer assumes that the USA Military has no real answer to the basic human wave tactic, when in fact the USA has some of the most ruthless anti human wave tactics devised by man and would deploy them plus a more than a few dirty tricks against the undead horde (in the unlikely event that happens :lol: ).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Darq » 13 May 2014, 19:50

Again respectfully, I don't think the author of WWZ or the movie really understand the sheer destructive potential of a platoon of M1A1 against soft targets. Yes I understand, zombies are dead and wouldn't be knocked out by say a couple of rounds of 9mm or 5.56mm. The MRL's they describe in the battle would have absolutely destroyed all the ZED in the blast radius - not "killed" in the conventional sense but dismantled, flattened, shredded and in general removed the capability to move - think frog smashed with hammer - No bones left, most of the soft tissues ruptured - structurally unsound.

Burst overpressure would still apply to zombies - their muscles would require a certain amount of structural integrity to work. If bones are all broken, muscles liquified or shredded, joints destroyed - they ain't moving.
Darq
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 13 May 2014, 19:54

Not so. The US response in the book is for human wave tactics but "human" waves can be broken, waves of undead cannot. They don't care about casualties or explosions or maimed bodies; they just care about infecting more meat. A typical enemy will break and run after 10% casualties (more or less); zombies don't break. And the soldiers' response would probably be typical - run when the enemy just keeps coming after you unload your magazine into center mass and watch your squad mate get torn apart by walking corpses. With a population of 8-million, all either undead or eaten (so let's say 4-million) coming down the road from New York City towards a holding force that could probably deal with the situation if their enemy were living but a few hundred or couple of thousand men with no experience fighting an enemy that doesn't care about shock and awe, who needs no resupply, who needs no sleep, who needs no rest, and can put 100% into their war effort... I think Brooks pretty much nailed it. Your company of Abrams with their 40 rounds each of HE and Case shot wouldn't even make a dent in those kinds of numbers.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 13 May 2014, 22:17

Darq wrote:Again respectfully, I don't think the author of WWZ or the movie really understand the sheer destructive potential of a platoon of M1A1 against soft targets. Yes I understand, zombies are dead and wouldn't be knocked out by say a couple of rounds of 9mm or 5.56mm. The MRL's they describe in the battle would have absolutely destroyed all the ZED in the blast radius - not "killed" in the conventional sense but dismantled, flattened, shredded and in general removed the capability to move - think frog smashed with hammer - No bones left, most of the soft tissues ruptured - structurally unsound.

Burst overpressure would still apply to zombies - their muscles would require a certain amount of structural integrity to work. If bones are all broken, muscles liquified or shredded, joints destroyed - they ain't moving.

Darq knows what he is talking, plus head shots don't matter when the nervous system is ripped to shreds along with all the flesh on top which is what would happen when the zeds face the machine gun armed helicopter, which is all they would face to start out with at least as the troops and tanks would be used as a perimeter guard to take out any escapees of the massacre happing in the city.

Also the air force commanders would probably bomb NY city into a rather colorful collection of creators before helicopters are even used, (which is no doubt secretly what every air force pilot wants to do when they have been based there for more than a month), and if they don't do that than it is very like that they will go with one shot solution and drop a nuclear bomb on it and than radiation viruses making the zombies go in the first place.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Jack007 » 07 Apr 2015, 05:12

Well my first 'Zombie Apocalypse Queston' is simply..

Paul, have the Powers- (deciding team) That-Be come up with a time table for the Zombie Resculpt's yet?

As to the dog question; In this situation you have to consider the typical family pet as opposed to a 'professional' dog a.k.a Police, Military.
The family dog is often well mannered but pampered so their 'training' is much less rigid. Also, I know from experience.. Yep the smaller Terrier breeds are often more 'high-strung' and will bit you in a heart beat IF.. you startle them or in certain situations.
In my much younger days it shocked me to find out that the beautiful Cocker Spaniel is considered to be one of the more likely to bite than many of the larger breeds.
Of course in this -dooms day- situation, a Very Great Deal depends IF the infection, as someone pointed out earlier, would or would not be transmittable to cross species. After all even now we have various illness' that themselves are not contagious.. Unless you come into physical contact.

As for Dealing with an Apoc Zombie Wave. I think we under estimate what weapons 'Any' Govt has at their disposal when dealing with large numbers of hostiles.
I also believe they would probably turn to something like Napalm before using massive HE attacks that may or may not spread contamintaed flesh 'everywhere'. Also its my understanding all hospitals have their own incinerators on the grounds to dispose of amputated limbs, to prevent just such a 'bio-hazard'.
In short; You incinerate the body, you incinerate the bacterial-viral threat.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Dark Futures