Special Zombies/Zombie Characters

Discuss Wargames Factory's Dark Future products.

Special Zombies/Zombie Characters

Postby Lonnie » 11 Mar 2014, 12:05

So, as I look around the various forums and posts from Face Book to the old Lefora, I've noticed a group of people asking about "Special Zombies" and "Zombie Characters". What is it, do you think, that is meant by "Special Zombies"? What constitutes a "Special"? And if anyone answers with a reference to the Lego Movie I'll ban 'em for a week ;)

I've seen references to ogre-sized, muscle-bound undead and others. I encourage you to put in your 2-cents/pence/pesos/(fill in favorite currency) and tell us. Please be as descriptive as you can; don't just say "Ghoul", that doesn't work.

And...go!
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Re: Special Zombies/Zombie Characters

Postby Super_Dude911 » 11 Mar 2014, 14:14

When I think of a special zombie, I thin of maybe a military zombie or a police zombie, maybe something that isn't just your average citizen. Maybe even some more crawlers (like the ones from the Zombie Vixens box set). Also maybe zombie dogs or something to those extent. I do not agree with the resident evil style super zombie nor the war of the world ant like zombies. but maybe just a bit more 'armored' than before. like a zombie police officer with a riot shield. I don't think a whole set needs to be 'zombie police' but a type of box that can be customizable to create police - swat - military zombies, and the parts could be interchangeable with the Apocalypse survival men/women box sets.
Super_Dude911

Postby Lonnie » 11 Mar 2014, 14:17

OK, good to know if we ever get 'round to redoing the male zombies perhaps we could include some first responders in the mix and maybe some military types.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 11 Mar 2014, 14:58

I was thinking they meant zombie versions of recognizable popular characters from works of fiction. Whether from books, tv, movies, or videogames.

If WGF were to design their own "alien" invasion force, it might be fun to see some zombifide aliens too.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby mrinku » 11 Mar 2014, 16:47

As a point, a head swap with a regular Survivor model, maybe an arm, goes a long way to making a unique Z. Posing plastics to be standing awkwardly is no problem either :)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby wilkie » 11 Mar 2014, 17:00

I consider "special" to be anything that isn't a standard shambling corpse. It could be a dead Bruce Campbell, a guy in a chicken costume, dead riot gear-clad police, undead superheroes, legless zombies dragging themselves along, or most anything else imaginable.

Most of my "special zombies" came from the (defunct?) minisculpt line from Black Ork games. They weren't beautiful sculpts, but they served their purpose cheaply while my WGF corpses comprised the bulk of the horde. I picked up some other minis from one source or another for various roles, but again, they weren't the standard zombie miniature on the table.
wilkie
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 11 Mar 2014, 19:04

"Special Zombies", as I'm defining it, are not nurses, clowns, guys in chicken suits or anything like that. They aren't 'normal' shambling corpses that are dressed differently; they are a species (or multiple species) unto themselves. Humans once but altered and undead.

Example - how would the zed virus react in a body pumped full of steroids? How about in a meth addict's body? Assume that the chemicals would alter them in some significant way and then come up with what the alterations are.

And...Go...Again.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Smokestack » 11 Mar 2014, 20:25

Child zombies, naked zombies, zombie dogs, There was a movie that had a zombie tiger that was pretty cool... Some big or mutant zombies would be cool... A big muscle bound apocalypse zombie...

How about some costumes zombies.... I am thinking Larpers or SCA zombies... so they can be used in fantasy as well.
Smokestack
Cadet

Postby Strawhat » 11 Mar 2014, 20:46

Lonnie wrote:OK, good to know if we ever get 'round to redoing the male zombies perhaps we could include some first responders in the mix and maybe some military types.

May I suggest some modern/near-future cops, firemen, and/or paramedics AND a retooled male zombie set? That way you can mix and match with actual zombie parts! :twisted:

To the main point though, were I to think of "special" zombies, I would be considering things like what you might see as a "boss" on a video game level or some kind of whacked-out thing with tentacles, an "exploded" and very pokey rib cage (relax, he just wants to "hug" you), or some such. Maybe one of our close genetic cousins (chimp or gorilla), or some sort of amalgam (like a zombie snowball--it just keeps adding others to its own collected mass).

And then there's the possibility that the whatever it is that causes the zombification isn't killing every host, and some are turning into something...other. It could be supernatural (angelic/demonic), or alien. But, for whatever reason, some things just change instead of dying. Perhaps whatever created the zombie-causing agent made a mistake and the zombies are an "ooops" moment and the "specials" are the actual desired result (hybrids, "enhancements", the first wave of an invasion designed to weaken mankind before "they" get here, or a new "caste" of creature that can facilitate communication/interaction between us and "them").

Personally, I don't like the idea of zombies as a prelude to invasion but that's not to say that the idea isn't without merit if you want to keep certain strategic positions as intact as possible while laying waste to the resistance: Germ warfare with a bad attitude.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Lonnie » 12 Mar 2014, 05:34

Mull this over - do zombies need a "leader" class? Are zombies just a walking plague or are they a "hive" under the direction of a "queen"? If so, are the zombies "drones" and if so, what would the soldiers look/act like? Assuming that they are like a colony of bees or ants, what directs them and what protects the hive or spearheads their assaults? Are the "queens" another class of undead (a type of vampire perhaps?).

I've recently (within the last 2-years) read The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin and am awaiting the finial book of his trilogy. All deal with a post apocalyptic planet where a medical experiment in immortality brought into being, for lack of a better phrase, greater and lesser "vampire" type beings hunting down and feeding on humanity (while being hunted themselves by the more ambitious communities). The lesser are more or less like zombies (faster maybe and less "rotty") but the 12, they're just bada$$. There are also sub layers in the new race; a hierarchy if you will. Do our zombies need something like that as an expansion?
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Next

Return to Dark Futures