Special Zombies/Zombie Characters

Discuss Wargames Factory's Dark Future products.

Re: Special Zombies/Zombie Characters

Postby bvandewalker » 12 Mar 2014, 20:26

Do you want bad science answers or the classic magic answers?

The bad science answer would be that zombies have no leaders because it is a bio weapon that kills people and takes over to eat other people which is (from what I gather) what most of the game maker use as their zombie back story. There are exceptions such as: the voodion slug zombies from “the Roswell Chronicles” cartoon show had a leader and a culture, still human non rotten zombies are usually commanded by a normal guy who is using drugs or poisons but a psychic power user could do this too, the Bio terror zombies from the resident evil games get smarter and more organized all the time (although one could argue that they are more like sick people with super rabies than zombies), the germs that cause outbreak are intelligent and think as one. In the case of these exceptions the zombies don’t just do normal zombie things (sometimes they do not do the normal stuff at all) and are often building something for their vile masters.

The classic magic answer is: yes, there is a zombie leader but he is not a zombie himself. Usually this leader is a very much alive Necromancer/evil mage/voodoo priest, but the leader can be a powerful lich, a sucky vampire lord, a nefarious demon or even an eldritch god from beyond the veil who want some grub.

I do not really care one way or the other about zombies or how you guys run with the sets but the WF zombies strike me as being either the no leader type or the classic magic answer set in modern times type (which actually make more since if you think about it)which means you guys need to work mages which would be suitable for any period and setting.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 12 Mar 2014, 21:27

This might get long-winded!

Strawhat wrote:Perhaps whatever created the zombie-causing agent made a mistake and the zombies are an "ooops" moment and the "specials" are the actual desired result (hybrids, "enhancements", the first wave of an invasion designed to weaken mankind before "they" get here, or a new "caste" of creature that can facilitate communication/interaction between us and "them").

Upon reflection, what if the zombies are the desired result and the other things are unexpected? Are those others on our side? Are those others in league with that which created them? Do the others even have sides?

Lonnie wrote:Mull this over - do zombies need a "leader" class? Are zombies just a walking plague or are they a "hive" under the direction of a "queen"? If so, are the zombies "drones" and if so, what would the soldiers look/act like? Assuming that they are like a colony of bees or ants, what directs them and what protects the hive or spearheads their assaults? Are the "queens" another class of undead (a type of vampire perhaps?).

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say they need a leader class...especially since WGF do not (as of yet) have their own IP out there to develop. It might be an interesting take on the genre and give the gaming public something to ponder (instead of: what if the chicken won't wear nylons?).

But, personally, I've only ever thought that the shamblers would have a basic sense of anything around them. As time goes by, what little was left of the person quickly disappears--probably within a few months to a year. But those that still have that spark left can manage simple tasks like navigating stairs or opening doors, and maybe even set rudimentary ambushes or feints. Perhaps the recently risen might even have enough of their minds left to avoid fire or other environmental hazards.

I've also wondered if zombies derive any benefit from consuming the flesh of the living--does it stave off their own degeneration? Will a well fed zombie retain its "spark" of humanity for longer (perhaps until the food runs out), or until some sort of metamorphosis takes place that moves it beyond the constant hunger for human flesh and into the realms of the others? Would a poorly fed zombie regain any spark if conditions "improved"? Would it then, after its fortune had improved, be able to once again advance and become one of those others or would it remain forever stalled in its current state?

If supernatural origins are being employed, I think the standard bokor (hougan or mambo) is appropriate. It gives another use for that Survivor with a book. :twisted:

I believe vampires, at least as any common understanding of them goes, should not lead/control zombies when there are ghouls--mad and degenerate consumers of life obsessed with achieving immortality. Of course such "Renfields," "Strakers" if you prefer Salem's Lot or want something a little less conflicted about serving the undead, would be unlikely to ever receive such a gift but it won't stop them from trying or enjoying what they do.

"Greater" and "lesser" vampires make perfect sense to me. It's a familiar enough concept that many have used in RPGs or fiction.

But, again, without WGF having an IP setting of its own, does it really matter? Right now, operating under the information that all of us have, there are only three real rules to follow:
  • Is it "cool"?
  • Will it sell?
  • Is it clear of WGF's other manufacturing interests/customers?
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Darsc Zacal » 12 Mar 2014, 21:51

I agree with Strawhats final paragraph with his 3 points of summation.

There's way too much overthinking here of zombie motivations and origins which is overshadowing what should be a discussion of what would make cool zombie minis for WGF to manufacture.

Unless WGF is planning on making a ruleset and setting of its own, any zombie background is the territory of whatever rules setting players are using in their own game(s).

If the mini's are cool, people will buy it.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Strawhat » 13 Mar 2014, 10:43

Darsc Zacal wrote:There's way too much overthinking here of zombie motivations and origins which is overshadowing what should be a discussion of what would make cool zombie minis for WGF to manufacture..

Over thinking?! I've not heard such nonsense. :mrgreen:

But I agree that the focus should be on getting cool new toys to the marketplace.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Mathyoo » 15 Mar 2014, 15:19

What I think of when there is a talk of "special zombies" are:
(also included in a computer game from what I heard and in a rulebook I own :P):

Rager - fast zombies, that aren't actually zombies but merely infected humans if anyone cares.
Tongue - zombie that lashes people with his tongue!
Fat zombie - really fat, bloating zombie that explodes to shower acid on his victims
Smart zombie - zombies that use basic weaponry as they got some brain left or whatever
Brute - huge hulk-like zombies
crawlers - you've got those covered
zombie dogs - :P
howling zombie - a witch or whatever, a zombie that screams for attention
patient zero - bigger, smarter, more infected

Not really a zombie, but I have to mention it...mutants are always nice :P.

As for special zombies in costumes and such, those are always very welcomed, but I think those could simply be incorporated in a redone male zombie kit if that would be ever made.
Mathyoo
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 15 Mar 2014, 18:39

That's what we're looking for Mathyoo. As to the redo of the male zombies, if we do them we won't include specials; they have to be like the Vixens, normal Joes who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (but we will vary them and probably have some military/first responder types).

Special Zombies need a sprue of their own.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 15 Mar 2014, 20:45

Just to insert a personal bias here regarding mutants.

I've never been a fan of chaos based sculpts. So random tentacles and oddly placed body parts aren't going to appeal to me.

Brutish and hulkish mutants? Sure.
Savage mutants with pronounced fangs, claws, tusks etc? Okay.
Something that looks barely human but rather a separate unknown species that I've not seen before? Now we're talking.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Lord_Bryon » 17 Mar 2014, 13:17

bvandewalker wrote:I do not really care one way or the other about zombies or how you guys run with the sets but the WF zombies strike me as being either the no leader type or the classic magic answer set in modern times type (which actually make more since if you think about it)which means you guys need to work mages which would be suitable for any period and setting.

This explaination reminds me of two of my favorite shows. The Dresden Files and the currently airing Grimm. I think it would be awesome to have modern mages as an explaination of the zombie horde. This seems to remind me of my old shadowrun days.

I must Echo the previous post as well. I don't find the tenticles chaos creatures appealing either.
Last edited by Lord_Bryon on 17 Mar 2014, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 17 Mar 2014, 13:24

Would the Survivors series not meet the need for a mage?

I can pretty easily see a Harry Dresden or Anita Blake type coming out of those sets.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Lord_Bryon » 17 Mar 2014, 13:25

I honestly don't know. I don't own any survivors yet.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Dark Futures