Changes at Wargames Factory

News and Announcements related to Wargames Factory.

Re: Changes at Wargames Factory

Postby Jack007 » 23 Feb 2016, 19:52

First its GREAT to see the bikers have 'made it!" However, Project - Z as a stand alone game? Well (sigh) thats OK for STARTERS, but not what I was hopeing for. :cry:

I too have to say, I certainly hope they do some zombie, survivor, cops/swat sets individually and NOT just a few 'follow up' metal sets to boost the new game. IIRC, will ck again later, but WL's Terminator Genysis (?) there 'support/reinforcement' sets are in plastic, save certain special Heavy Wpn 'machines' and perhaps some 'Character' figures.

We shall see..
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 24 Feb 2016, 19:45

The pre-order page refers to most of the sets as "expansions" about halfway down the page. It doesn't list a price, but does say that the Female Survivor Expansion contains 10 miniatures, same with the Male Survivor Expansion, and the Zombie Horde Expansion will have 23 figures (3 crawlers and 10 regular zeds). About a third of the way down there are several images that look like they could be box art. I don't see any reason to believe that the bikers, survivors, and zombies won't see regular release as sets, although those sets look like they'll include game components (cards) for Project Z.

I'm pretty sure that the price point won't be what we're used to, though. Hopefully it won't be too drastic a shift.

Hmmm...Missed this the first time through, but the description says that the regular main game comes only with the male survivors. It's the bundle comes with men and women.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Jack007 » 25 Feb 2016, 18:57

Tripod wrote:The only down side for us who have the sets already is that we need to buy the expansion sets to get the gaming cards if we want to use their rules. On the plus side Warlord have been far quicker in releasing product than WGF was . It will be interesting to see what's next

This is true, on the optimistic side, if (and usually always) you know someone that gets the game right off, give it a try. Then if ya like', buying the expansions and cards will work out for you in the long run, even if you buy only the 'expansion set's' just for the minis.

Just Ck'd WL, "Project Z" looks pretty interesting to say the least. Still as for the Biker Gang, I was hoping for more 'bikes'in the set. IIRC there were '3' on the sprue pic that had been posted. I know, that was a lucky find, the sample sprue that someone got a couple of pics of at one of the Cons, of course that was at least a year back and was still a WIP at the time.
Im sure 'once' the individual expansion sets become available, they will list more detail as to whats included, with each. I think its really great that WL is 'tossing in' some Spec OPs troops. I can see that one getting grabbed hand over fist when its released as an individual set. Still, Im wishing they had a Law Enforcement set.
I see they are selling the WF Saxon minis as well as others by the sprue. $5 for 1 body (4 torso's) and 1 head/wpn sprue in the set. I only mention this because I think it would be great if they could/ would do the same for a police/ trooper sprue. After all, I realize theres just not much of a demand for 'cops n robbers' (unless your doing Al Capone / pulp games).

Just a curious thought..
who got the idea about the crawlers anyway? Im thinking it goes back to "THE Terminator" and the climatic scene when what was left of the exoskeleton was crawling its way towards Sarah Conner, only to hear those immortal words. "Your Terminated _ _ _ _ _ _!" (crunch)

When a steel press comes down on your head to quote another film: "I dont care what part of the galaxy your from, thats gotta hurt." :!:
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 26 Feb 2016, 16:05

You mis-remember, I'm afraid, Jack. The leaked sprue did only have two bikes. Lonnie talked about having either two or three during the discussion thread about what we'd like. I think they always intended for 6 bikes in the WGF box - which would have been either three identical frames or two with three bikes and a "People" frame.

The expansion kit has three bikes (one frame and the leader frame) with six infantry. The product description is badly worded - it's clear from the frame pictures they showed last month that the leader half-frame is a bike, rider and passenger, so it's in addition to the two bikes (with riders and passengers) and six infantry that are on the basic frame.

Being Warlord it's expected the individual sprues will be available for order... and it's probable there will be other bundles and specials over time.

I'm not much of a zombie expert, but I'm pretty certain the crawler idea goes way back. Mind you, Terminator was only 1984, so probably influenced later Zombie films.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 05 Mar 2016, 18:22

Warlord have posted a sample game on YouTube and made an introductory version of the rules available from their webstore (for free) if you've got an account through their store.

I'm contemplating getting it just to see if anything else is in the immediate works.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby wmyers » 16 Mar 2016, 21:35

wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 17 Mar 2016, 20:16

Digital is the future! If I could, I'd be throwing my hat in the ring.

It makes sense, though. The more work you can do on your own, the faster it will be to move projects along the production line.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby wmyers » 18 Mar 2016, 00:28

I came across some miniatures I had not heard of before for a game called 'Ex Illis'.

It is clear the sprues were made by WargamesFactory. The game is out of business now, apparently, and I have not been able to find the miniatures for sale. It's a shame, really, as they are very nicely done and medieval and fantasy in theme. A lot of the stuff people on here have been asking for.

It would have been nice if WGF would have been able to sell the sprues on their site. Perhaps the company would not have gone under ...

wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby wmyers » 18 Mar 2016, 00:37

In fact, here is an article about the very same thing:

http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/how-design-and-manufacturing-can-better-communicate

It also refers to WGF as 'Ghost Studio'.

Clearly, Warlord is wanting to move this way. They will start with Dr. Who (who better to accept something different than a sci fi fan!) and then based upon response I would wager they will spread out into other areas and we will see WWII and other historicals digitally made - except at around double-the-price of WGF ...

Half-price sprue sales for me - no boxed sets (even if I won the lottery).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 18 Mar 2016, 14:51

Other way around. Ghost Studio (the Chinese manufacturing business) bought out Wargames Factory (the US based shopfront) when they proved an unreliable partner, and have now effectively wound it up. Sounds like this lot were dealing direct with Ghost Studio all along.

Keep in mind that Ghost Studio, Renedra and any other plastics manufacturing plant don't invest their own capital in these sorts of projects. They get paid to cut the molds and make production runs, possibly some design work, though typically this is provided by the customer. There is an issue of some jobs being more or less profitable in the long run, and juggling production resources, but even a half-arsed kickstarter failure probably makes them money.

Ghost Studio basically worked out that they'd be better off being the Chinese Renedra instead of trying to run a foreign retail arm as well.

I remain surprised that no one in the US seems to be able to manage it. Maybe the local non-GW miniatures market is just dead, unlike the UK?
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Wargames Factory News