assembly instructions?

Discuss Wargames Factory's Hammer of the Gods products.

assembly instructions?

Postby dhutch113 » 06 May 2014, 07:18

I just got a ton of Bondi and Huscarls sprues from a friend who was never going to get around to them. No boxes or instructions of course...I can't find any assembly instructions on the website. Anyone know if they are? or where I might find them? I can figure most out, but certain weapons just the hand...I don't see just the arms. lol.
Thanks,
Dale
dhutch113

Re: assembly instructions?

Postby Lonnie » 06 May 2014, 07:33

We haven't gotten around to doing assembly guides for the older kits yet dhutch113. It's on our "to do" list but not as high a priority item as new set design. Sorry. We are putting together assembly guides for all of our new kits going forward and it is a very time consuming process. Some of the older kits were designed so that multiple arms could be used on multiple bodies with multiple weapons options; this makes it nearly impossible for us to make an assembly guide for them. All new kits have specific body/arm combinations which gives us better models with a crisper look; it cuts down, somewhat, on the amount of poses one can make but makes for a better figure overall.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby wmyers » 25 May 2014, 15:55

dhutch113 wrote:I just got a ton of Bondi and Huscarls sprues from a friend who was never going to get around to them. No boxes or instructions of course...I can't find any assembly instructions on the website. Anyone know if they are? or where I might find them? I can figure most out, but certain weapons just the hand...I don't see just the arms. lol.
Thanks,
Dale

If I may give a suggestion - just use your favourite search engine to search for pictures of the figures online. Seeing how others have put them together should really help. I have worked on these figures and I found half the fun was trying to come up with new and unique combinations to see how many individual and distinct poses I could create (but I am more of a scale modeller than a miniatures gamer).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Mike L. » 27 May 2014, 16:52

The left arms on the vikings sprue have been criticized as being somewhat short. They work fine, however, for holding shields. Right arms are good for overhand sword/axe strokes, holding spears at various angles, etc. The "set" of arms that are joined together on the sprue are for the long handled axe or possibly for holding a banner pole. I've been using a bit of putty to smooth the seam where arms join the torso.
My problem with the vikings is the necks on the figs. I have difficulty mounting the heads to the torsos in a natural-looking manner. Some of the pix I've seen of other modeler's vikings show the same problem. The figs seem to look awkward and "hunched over".
Please don't take this as a condemnation of the Viking kits. It's just a bit of a problem for me and probably some other never modelers. There's a chap who goes by "Neldoreth" that has done some excellent WF Vikings. Of course he has talent, which I seem to lack. :|
Mike L.

Postby bvandewalker » 28 May 2014, 03:30

dhutch113 wrote:I just got a ton of Bondi and Huscarls sprues from a friend who was never going to get around to them. No boxes or instructions of course...I can't find any assembly instructions on the website. Anyone know if they are? or where I might find them? I can figure most out, but certain weapons just the hand...I don't see just the arms. lol.
Thanks,
Dale

well, what I have always done with my figure sets when in doubt is to scrap off as much of the flash as possible and than to try out the arms and heads on the bodies before gluing them, that way I can figure out what pose I want it to be in. But if you want to get real artsy crafty I recommend grabbing the painting guide off the WGF news archives, it even says how to make rowers.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby HalberKill » 01 Jun 2014, 21:31

I also tend to use a dremel to remove some of the plastic at the back of the hole where the head goes in to give it a more natural look when you put the head in. You may also need some putty in case you drill too much.

Halber
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 10 Jul 2014, 22:30

Mike L. wrote:The left arms on the vikings sprue have been criticized as being somewhat short. They work fine, however, for holding shields. Right arms are good for overhand sword/axe strokes, holding spears at various angles, etc. The "set" of arms that are joined together on the sprue are for the long handled axe or possibly for holding a banner pole. I've been using a bit of putty to smooth the seam where arms join the torso.
My problem with the vikings is the necks on the figs. I have difficulty mounting the heads to the torsos in a natural-looking manner. Some of the pix I've seen of other modeler's vikings show the same problem. The figs seem to look awkward and "hunched over".
Please don't take this as a condemnation of the Viking kits. It's just a bit of a problem for me and probably some other never modelers. There's a chap who goes by "Neldoreth" that has done some excellent WF Vikings. Of course he has talent, which I seem to lack. :|

I have noted that many of the problems with figures' heads seem to be tilted. If you look at pictures of real people in action sequences, their heads are not tilted as they do things (looking down a sight on a rifle is different). The heads are in line with the spine. Or level with the ground.

Here is the link to Neldoreth's work (http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=armies&which=swedeViking&full=1). I hope it is not inappropriate to post this here. I think it shows just how nice the WGF are. (Sadly, I have seen widespread condemnation of WGF figures for "soft details" and "open hands" and widespread acclaim for Gripping Beast by the same people on other forums but I think this work shows just how well done the WGF figures are (even if I would like more body poses ...) and of how wrong (and biased!) the complaints have been.)
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Eleven » 31 Aug 2014, 16:52

I will never understand people who prefer working with metal. I absolutely hate metal figs.

Not only are they tough to glue and break easy, but they can bend, the paint comes right off them with minimal use, they scratch up painted tables, they are heavy and won't stand up on a slope, and just to top it all off they cost up for 4 times as much.

I am definitely not a fan.

As for the gripping beast sets, to me cost makes the difference. In historical combat games, you are often working with well over 100 figs. Price per fig is important. Gripping beast exceeds wgf prices by about 170%.
Eleven
Cadet

Return to Hammer of the Gods