Horse and Musket? WSS?

Discuss Wargames Factory's Horse and Musket products.

Re: Horse and Musket? WSS?

Postby Mac » 30 Mar 2014, 10:06

To clarify:
HIGHLANDER.
British Soldier in a Kilt
Sorry for the confusion.
:lol:
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby Lord Marcus » 05 Apr 2014, 19:22

Mac wrote:To clarify:
HIGHLANDER.
British Soldier in a Kilt
Sorry for the confusion.
:lol:

Both are technically scotsmen. The latter is dressed in Black watch regimental, which was a highlands unit.
Lord Marcus
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 07 Apr 2014, 00:51

I don't think the technicalities mean much to Mac :)

I take his point, and agree. But it's British Soldiers in Kilts that I'd like, relics of Bannockburn being a bit thin on the ground in the 1880s :)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 10 Apr 2014, 14:34

Just because you are assigned to a Highland Regiment does not mean you are a Scotsman, or a Highlander for that matter.
The Black Watch, though Highlander in origination, was not highly thought of by many clans in the Highlands. They were too, shall we say, Campbell, for many to love.
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mrinku » 10 Apr 2014, 16:24

While I have some Scots ancestry, I don't know of any being highlanders. Great-great-grandfather Ritchie was transported from Glasgow, plus some Thows from Aberdeen or thereabouts. came out under their own steam.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 12 Apr 2014, 07:08

We were planted right between the Campbells and the MacDonalds, with the Stewarts just to the north.
One of our ancestors served as a lieutenant to Murray during the '45.
It is family tradition that when the clans were raised for any sort of "altercation" the Mac Intyre chief would ask "Which side is Campbell?"
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby crazyharborc » 13 Apr 2014, 18:59

Well, around my table, the troops used as and labeled as whatever ARE correct. The same can (and is) said for the equipment. It is a house rule amongst my group of old farts.....what we have are correct as needed. ;)

I do NOT like button/rivet counting either. IMHO, wargaming is about the minies ON the table with dice rolling across the table top. I do not think all the artifacts of whatever objects are any more than what has survived from the good old days.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby Mac » 15 Apr 2014, 18:04

I don't count buttons or lace. If you want to put a warband of SAGA Vikings up and say they are Scots Boarderers, so be it.
But I, me, personal preference, want my band of Highlanders to be Highlanders.
I have a couple of "cheeky Roberts", and one with the Full Monty. :lol:
Mac
Lieutenant

Postby Butty » 26 Apr 2014, 05:02

Picking up on the Donnybrook posts. An excellent set of Skirmish rules that will allow players to start with just a box of figures for a side. And this is where the Marlburians and the eagerly awaited AWI will be of great use. I am currently working on both periods where with a slight stretch of the imagination I can cover the whole period from end to end and even start my own "imagination" as these are becoming popular again. Warlord Games have also promised an AWI supplement to the Black Powder rules for later this year and again a set of rules that will allow us to cover the whole period but with the big battles on this occasion.

I am building up my armies in both periods having "completed" my Napoleonic forces. (Do wargamers ever complete a collection?) . First for Donnybrook and then for Black Powder so please increase the selection for both Horse and Musket periods. Your Marlburian guns were excellent and if that is a promise of the standards to come, I can't wait.
Sempre nella merda, solo la profondità varia.
Butty
Chief

Postby Butty » 12 Oct 2014, 07:41

Both Donnybrook and Muskets and Tomahawks are good rules for skirmishes in this period.

The Armed Militia and the Woodland Indians boxes would both be excellent for this. Add the occasional British or French group of Soldiers or a few females for that matter and we have the makings of a superb game. The scenarios in the Donnybrook book being useful for either system. It is an area along with my AWI battles that I am exploring with my club. Now how about a box with canoes with both Indian and trapper crews. It could open up a whole new area.
Sempre nella merda, solo la profondità varia.
Butty
Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Horse and Musket