Horse and Musket? WSS?

Discuss Wargames Factory's Horse and Musket products.

Re: Horse and Musket? WSS?

Postby Agamemnon » 12 Oct 2014, 09:45

I think the prototypical Claymore and Targe wielding Scotch Highlander would be a better business decision, and a fair compromise toward achieving both interests. The availability of kilted legs in plastic would achieve easy conversion with Revolutionary War British Infantry for that time period, American G.I.s if you can find appropriate heads for WWII Scots, or with Napoleonic plastics from other manufacturers.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 15 Oct 2014, 23:05

Agamemnon wrote:I think the prototypical Claymore and Targe wielding Scotch Highlander would be a better business decision, and a fair compromise toward achieving both interests. The availability of kilted legs in plastic would achieve easy conversion with Revolutionary War British Infantry for that time period, American G.I.s if you can find appropriate heads for WWII Scots, or with Napoleonic plastics from other manufacturers.

I don't think the Yanks had any Highland regiments, did they?

You could use a steel helmeted head for Highland regiments (British Empire in WWII) but proper Balmoral (http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/traditions/regimentaldress/fulldress.htm) and Glengarry (http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/uniforms/glengarries.htm) headgear would be ideal.
Last edited by wmyers on 19 Oct 2014, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Agamemnon » 16 Oct 2014, 03:58

I meant for approximating WWII Scots, since WF doesn't make plastic WWII Brits. The jacket is practically identical between Brits and G.I.s.
Plastic-wise, you could get helmets from Perry Desert Rats, I guess. I like the WF Pith Helmets but that's way too old.

I seem to remember there being Scottish American civil war regiments too, although I don't know if they wore the kilt in combat. If they did, you could mix kilted legs with Perry Northern or Zouaves.

Scots would have a lot of sale potential, especially (but not exclusively, because plastic is easy on conversions) if the bodies were two-piece between legs and torso.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby Agamemnon » 16 Oct 2014, 04:11

The this guy's hat is really just a Hussar's hat, and they're dime a dozen in any Napoleonic Plastics set.

I think a Balmoral bonnet would be perfect, nay, required in a Scottish plastics set.

It looks more iconic, professional, and can easily be modernized throughout all dress and service uniforms.

A Glenngary has a much more limited application, but could fit in as extra sprue options. I don't necessarily think you'd need enough for the whole regiment.
As is, you could easily approximate it with WWII Russian garrision caps and a small bit of greenstuff for the ball and the ribbon.
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 19 Oct 2014, 00:58

crazyharborc wrote:Gee, do those British Highlanders wear slips? Just wondering.

It's called 'Regimental' and I can assure you it is quite liberating and relaxing. ;)
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby wmyers » 19 Oct 2014, 01:05

If you are going for WW2, there could be a set of figures in Sporran Parade poses …

wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Agamemnon » 22 Oct 2014, 00:06

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh, I think they stopped charging naked into battle after Rome fell.
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 24 Oct 2014, 20:16

Agamemnon wrote:Yeeeeeaaaahhhh, I think they stopped charging naked into battle after Rome fell.

That picture is from 1940.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Agamemnon » 24 Oct 2014, 20:30

Yes, from a boot camp drill ceremony. It's a photo, after all. But that's not combat.
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 28 Oct 2014, 00:03

"There's nothing wornnn under the kilt. It's all in purrrfect worrrking orderrr!"

You could kitbash that guy up from Zulus and any 28mm kit with the right rifle and head.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Horse and Musket