Pike phalanx

Discuss Wargames Factory's Legacy of the Greeks products.

Pike phalanx

Postby Eleven » 03 Apr 2014, 22:48

I would buy many. Let's not even talk about companion cavalry, lol. Or wait, let's.
Eleven
Cadet

Re: Pike phalanx

Postby Lord_Bryon » 04 Apr 2014, 07:59

I'd be interested. especially in the companion cav.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby crazyharborc » 04 Apr 2014, 18:29

Pikes, phalanx...? Pre-Pike and shot minies, would interest me A LOT.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby Eleven » 04 Apr 2014, 21:18

Greek cavalry is horribly underrepresented. The only plastics I know of are aventine and 1stcorp. Both are horribly overpriced.

I own many wgf minis, and would love to build Ptolemaic and Seleucid armies with wgf minis.

Plus build an Alexandrian army to fight against all the amazing Persians I have.
Eleven
Cadet

Postby tbopper1 » 06 Apr 2014, 15:27

Lonnie aired an idea of a Numidian box with Greek heads. This would help cover light cavalry at least.
tbopper1
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 06 Apr 2014, 16:53

Not to split hairs. Oh hell, I'll split some hairs. All Greek cavalry can be represented by Numidian Cavalry with some Greek head and weapon options. Alexander and his forces were Macedonian. Companion/Successor cavalry is Macedonian and belongs in the category of the Pike Phalanx and Greek cavalry in another category. Since we do Greeks already you are more likely to see the Numidian/Greek Cavalry set than you are Successor cavalry, though neither is on our list of things to do right away.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Eleven » 06 Apr 2014, 19:21

I agree that a numidian cavalry pack would be useful for representing early greek cavalry. Even the foot numidians are so widely versatile. I used them for spanish scutarii With some shields from other wgf kits.

I'm working on a roman occupation of Alexandria campaign right now.

My roman force is built almost entirely out of wgf kits, while the Ptolemaic forces I'm having to build from other lines and I'm feeling the pain. The egyptian force is costing almost three times the price of the roman due to my use of other companies lines.

I'm almost done painting up 154 roman infantry. I'll have some pictures of my roman army in 2 weeks. Long term id like to be able to field a whole cohort man for man.
Eleven
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 07 Apr 2014, 05:00

Years ago I had an entire 25/28mm painted Roman Cohort (early empire, Foundry models) man for man - 480-infantry, 6-balista and crew, 30-horse auxiliaries, (a Tuma of cavalry), 60-archer auxiliaries and 1/2-dozen heroes (General, standard bearer, etc.). It was my pride and joy. After being caught in GW's second "downsizing" in 2003 I was forced to sell it off to pay some bills. I did get about $5,000 for it but I've never had the heart to paint up another force like it again.

Good luck with your project.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Return to Legacy of the Greeks