The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs

Discuss Wargames Factory's Might of Rome products.

The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs

Postby wmyers » 11 Jul 2014, 20:04

Bvandewalker made reference to the Painting Guides on WGF News archive (http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Default.aspx?SiteSearchID=50&ID=/SearchResults.htm). One of them, by Michael Farnworth, dealing with the Romans (http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Default.aspx?PageID=1496993&A=SearchResult&SearchID=6296969&ObjectID=1496993&ObjectType=1) states in his References:

Also of interest
The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs by Daniel Peterson.
1992. Europa Militaria Special No 2, Crowood Press.
This is one of my favorite books. It contains nearly 100 pages of colour photographs of re-enactors and museum reconstructions covering the period from 500 BC to 400 AD.

This is a book I had never heard of before so I looked on Amazon and found it on both Amazon.ca and Amazon.com for $0.01. Amazon.co.uk also has it for 1 Pence, but under a different listing (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1872004067/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1405130402&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Roman+Legions+Recreated+in+Colour+Photographs&condition=used) Naturally I ordered it.

This reference book looks pretty good from what little I have seen in the preview on Amazon.co.uk and as an historian and teacher, this would be a good reference work for students (I have noted that many young adults today do not have the same historical background knowledge of even 10 years ago and many of them cannot immediately bring a picture to mind of various historical periods so texts without pictures are very hard for the students to learn from - yes, I can give my professional opinion that people are getting more "unintelligent").

You can also get it on Amazon.co.uk for 12 Pounds Sterling for a new copy, but I thought the whopping 1 penny price was a slightly better deal, for an used copy that was listed as "very good" condition. You can view some of the pages with the preview on the Amazon.co.uk site: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legions-Recreated-Photographs-Militaria-Special/dp/1861262647/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405129155&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Roman+Legions+Recreated+in+Colour+Photographs).

There are still some left at each Amazon.ca/com site so I thought I would post this in case anyone else would like this as a reference for helping to paint their WGF Romans.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Re: The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs

Postby Lonnie » 14 Jul 2014, 15:57

I've had this book for years. Word of warning, the binding on many copies is terrible (sub-standard glue leads to the pages falling out). Great find for a penny though.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby wmyers » 14 Jul 2014, 22:31

Lonnie wrote:I've had this book for years. Word of warning, the binding on many copies is terrible (sub-standard glue leads to the pages falling out). Great find for a penny though.

Thank you for the heads up!

I actually used to work as a librarian (and at a print shop) before returning to university and getting some more degrees and becoming an historian and teacher, so I have experience and knowledge of how to repair books and prepare books (prepare for longevity and harsh use).

If you still have your copy, all you need is a good white book binding glue (I would think most good quality white glues would be fine, nothing extra special (read, "extra pricey") needed) and a small brush. Apply the glue to the edge of the pages to go into the binding and insert them and make sure they are lined up correctly with the outer edges, place a heavy weight on it (lots of other books just as big or bigger) and leave it for a few days. It should be as good as (better!) than new.

Get book binding tape (which is clear) for the spine. Get the white binding tape for the inner cover (but do not necessarily apply it to the inner cover - open the book and see which - the inside cover or a page or few into the book is receiving the most stress and most likely to tear - and place the white binding tape there. Soft cover books should get an entire cover of clear "mactac" (make sure to cut the outside corners of the coverage at 45 degree angles so as to be able to fold over the top and outside edge of the cover and leave the overhang at least an inch or two. (Here is a quick visual guide I found to help demonstrate what I mean - you want to do this as soon as you buy the book so it does not get the little nicks and chips in it: http://www.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Paperback-Book-With-Clear-Plastic-Film).

These simple archival techniques will allow any book to last a LOT longer than it would otherwise. Books are very expensive today - they really are not just disposable items as many seem to sadly think they are.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 15 Jul 2014, 12:40

Thanks! With the amount of stress and wear I put on my research materials, most of which I own/purchase myself rather than get on loan from a library, I'm certain I can put this to use and I've a few books on hand that I can start with, including the Roman Legions book.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Return to Might of Rome