Numidians

Discuss Wargames Factory's Might of Rome products.

Numidians

Postby steel91101 » 14 Mar 2014, 17:37

I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating in the new forum.

The Numidian Ancient Light Infantry kit is the most impressive set of miniatures around.

They can be used for slingers, archers, javelins, short spear, swordsmen, improvised weapon infantry, etc.

They can be used for almost any ancient or classical period, and even into early dark ages, as levy troops, militia, skirmish infantry slings and archers, etc.

Aside from skirmish troops, with a mix of shields from other sets, I can make them into almost anything from Carthaginian auxiliaries to main battleline Maccabean Jewish troops or Jewish Revolt troops.

For Fantasy Games, they are perfect as town watch, or bad guy humans. (or good guy humans)

Awesome set. I bought one box -- tentatively -- some 10 months ago, and have gone back and bought 4 more boxes.

Absolutely the most versatile and flexible set of figures around!
Steel, as in Stainless Steel Rat.

Longtime miniatures gamer, and RPG gamer.
steel91101
Crewman

Re: Numidians

Postby Lord_Bryon » 17 Mar 2014, 13:32

I totally agree. I find the Numidians are perfect for multiple purposes. I'm currently using them for archers in my Greek fantasy army, and will soon be doing some as light hoplites. I've even made an orc or two with them. Great figures, and I use a lot of the various arms from the kit for my other mini's as well.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 17 Mar 2014, 13:54

Unarmored hoplites?
UnarmoredHoplites002.jpg

Or mercenary archers?
Archers001.jpg

Part of my growing Greek army. Need more unarmored hoplites and a unit of heavies to, more or less, complete it.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 17 Mar 2014, 15:38

I really like the shield work on those unarmored hoplites. Very cool. and I may steal the scheme for the archers.

BTW, do you have any shots of your Greek army in it's current glory?
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby crazyharborc » 17 Mar 2014, 18:11

Well, it has been a while but.......In the past, I loaded up with a box of the Romans, some of the Ancient bodies sprues AND the Weapons sprues......AND then, I started playing with box, sprue, whatever bodies and parts, swapping around. I made a fair number of Roman helmeted LIGHT foot with pila. Some of them had Roman shields, some had round Numidian shields. I have oh, twenty five Roman recruits, lights OR perhaps they are rebels.

By the by so far.....WGF minies are better suited to swapping plastic parts around than most of the competition with their plastic goodies. Oh, I do have to do some plastic surgery but that is part of what I like about plastic minies.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby Lonnie » 17 Mar 2014, 20:16

Sorry but no, I don't have the complete pictures yet; after I finish my current project I'll get them up. The shields were fairly easy and all hand painted; I was especially pleased with the way they turned out. Feel free to steal the scheme for the archers (the quiver on the back was done as leopard skin).
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Lord Marcus » 25 Mar 2014, 10:25

I have made:

obvious:

Numidian light shield infantry
" " slingers
" " bowmen
" " hoplites

Conversions:

Unarmored hoplites
levy pikemen (macedonian or otherwise)
Unarmored hastati
North African auxilary infantry
cretan archers
celtiberian infantry (unarmored)
numidian light horse (in combination with the celt cavalry and newer horse sprues)
numidian noble horse (same kits)
Numidian noble shield warriors (roman or viking torso's, numidian heads and weapons, greek shields)
Generic ancient mob
hittite warriors (I saw an artists rendition of a hittite wearing a blue feathered headdress and weilding a club, combined a numidian body with parts from the zulu kit)
celtic slingers
celtic unarmored warriors from the medditerranian fringe (thus, no pants)
spartan youth hoplites (same parts as the unarmored hoplites, but with red tunics)
carthaginian infantry
carthaginian infantry in mail armor (converted with viking torso's)
African/nubian warriors/spearmen/bowmen/etc (combine with the zulu kit)

And i only have 2 boxes to my name. need more to fill out units!
Lord Marcus
Crewman

Postby Jack007 » 31 May 2014, 14:47

I have to toss my hat in the ring, this has to be one of, if not THE most versatile, and thereby most useful sets WGF could have produced. I have even considered getting atleast one set for my fantasy project to represent zombies from other more distant lands / villages. Of course I would mix some of the viking/ saxon heads with Numidian bodies for more variety.

Lonnie wrote:Sorry but no, I don't have the complete pictures yet; after I finish my current project I'll get them up. Feel free to steal the scheme for the archers (the quiver on the back was done as leopard skin).

Im looking forward to those pictures.
I would really like to know a good way to do animal skin pattern, as I have 'considered' doing something along the lines of Xerxes army. One of the units were an African tribe that was said to have worn leopard / cheetah etc. hide type of tunics. The only thing I 'think' would work, would be trying to print the basic pattern on paper, then cut it out and very carefully wrapping it around each warrior. I know thats a lot of detail work (the cutting alone), but the end would look a lot better Im thinking than me trying to had paint or greenstuff the zulus I would use as the basis for these troops.

Thoughts and suggestions well guys.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 31 May 2014, 19:22

I'm planning to get some for unarmoured bandits and peasants for my Ronin projects. The tunic is 90% right for a short robe and pants can be added.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Return to Might of Rome