Orc "Cavalry"

Discuss Wargames Factory's Myths and Legends products.

Re: Orc "Cavalry"

Postby crazyharborc » 10 Jun 2014, 17:54

There is/was a problem with the big Z's hard plastic, 28mm minies....The plastic is/was too brittle. I don't have any of their skellies. I do have a box 0r two of their Medieval humans.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby bvandewalker » 10 Jun 2014, 19:17

could you give us some comparison shots with the WGF minis.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Lonnie » 10 Jun 2014, 19:31

Crazyharborc wrote:
There is/was a problem with the big Z's hard plastic, 28mm minies....The plastic is/was too brittle. I don't have any of their skellies. I do have a box 0r two of their Medieval humans.
It's typical of Russian made kits. They tend to use a lower grade of polystyrene; not all of them but nearly every Russian model I've ever purchased had the same issue.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby wmyers » 10 Jun 2014, 20:59

Lord_Bryon wrote:Perhaps WGF could produce a similar "Undead Cav" set. I know I'd buy them.

Heck, I'd be all over them too if they did!

I don't know if undead Romans are my thing but just generic undead (with undead horses in various stages of decomposition) with maybe some tattered armour (?).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 11 Jun 2014, 06:48

That's the problem, armor. Our skeletons are not armored. We could have armored them but what in? Egyptian, Greek, Roman/Celt, Medieval styles, etc.? A combination? The leather bits holding the armor together would have all rotted away anyway. Given my druthers, I'd have made them Roman or Greek but it's been done (Roman) and we might find ourselves to be stepping on someone else's IP (probably). I'm all for saying that the magic holding them together gives them a "light" armor save (or heavy, if your Necromancer is particularly powerful) and the shield bonus stacks with the save.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 11 Jun 2014, 07:50

Greek Undead would be my choice, but when it comes to undead I'm not nit picky about their equipment.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 11 Jun 2014, 14:13

Lonnie wrote:That's the problem, armor. Our skeletons are not armored. We could have armored them but what in? Egyptian, Greek, Roman/Celt, Medieval styles, etc.? A combination? The leather bits holding the armor together would have all rotted away anyway. Given my druthers, I'd have made them Roman or Greek but it's been done (Roman) and we might find ourselves to be stepping on someone else's IP (probably). I'm all for saying that the magic holding them together gives them a "light" armor save (or heavy, if your Necromancer is particularly powerful) and the shield bonus stacks with the save.

I think that unarmored was the right chose, that way if someone wanted skeletal this or that warriors they could always kitbash and put green stuff armor on the models. But if I had to do an armored skeletal set I would either do vikings (since they could stand in for most fantasy armor and work with the viking sets) or I would go bold and have them fit in with the rising sun sets since ghost armies would be one of three logical fantasy armies samurai could face (the other two would be oni and yokai respectively).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby mrinku » 11 Jun 2014, 16:31

I've not run across the Japanese having any tradition of animated skeletons in their folklore; their ghosts and demons are pretty fleshed out as a rule, though often bizarre. Long hair and no feet, for example.

Kitbashing is definitely the way to go for armoured skellies.

Considering they have no vital organs and have to be smashed, and are magic anyway, you can give 'em whatever save you like.

If the game system allows it, reduce or remove the chance of a critical on them from slashing or piercing weapons. Raw damage would probably be about the same, since spears and swords still break bones, and theirs have no flesh padding.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 11 Jun 2014, 17:32

I've always thought of it as the iron (silver, steel, etc.) weapons sever the magical connection in skellies somehow. So a piercing weapon like a spear or arrow does the same amount of damage as it would on a living opponent (armor save aside) because it weakens the link that the necromancer used to animate the old pile of bones.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby mrinku » 11 Jun 2014, 23:32

That's always the trouble with magic - you have to make up a ton of ground rules.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Myths and Legends