My Easter order arrived today - 12 day delivery, can't complain about that! - with my foot Samurai and missile ashigaru. The plan is to make them up for skirmishing using Ronin. I will get some spear ashigaru at some point for the nagae-yari and banners, and likely some mounted Samurai, but these guys should cover most of the essentials, aside from the unfortunate lack of naginata in the kits. Even the one on the mounted sprue only gives two per box of those; one on the foot samurai frame would have been nice, perhaps replacing one spear? Still, niggles. They're good kits.
I'm going to kitbash bandits and peasants out of less armoured models and attempt Ninja from the Persian infantry. Might end up ordering a couple of Numidian frames for the former, although depending on postage I may be better ordering a whole box of Numidians. Won't be for a little while, though.
I'll likely have enough enthusiasm to make up a batch this weekend. Could even be some painting done. I'll post pictures if so.
Okay, some work has been done! Here are shiny pictures:
Ninja (still need a bit of work, but mainly adding putty cowls and finishing off the robes):
Peasants with improvised weapons (need a bit of putty work - they will have better hairdos!)
Sohei (some finishing work to do with putty. Either a headband or cowl for each of 'em):
And a closeup of my basing trick for these - 1/4" washers superglued into the bases!
I was going to do my normal washer bases and decided not to for once. No massive reason, but it just felt right. I have several sets worth of round bases from the Apoc Survivors anyway. Some non-WGF parts were used, but I think they fall within the guidelines.
Parts from non-WGF kits. The chain is from GW Dark Eldar Wytches, the bald heads, some of the bare arms and one of the peasant bodies are Perry Anasar Warriors.
The naginata is a Perry ACW cavalry sabre attached to part of a spare banner pole. But you could use styrene card. Naginata blades vary a fair bit in their design - some are pretty much the same as a wakizashi, though usually they are curved and pointed a bit more. Instructional pictures:
I had it handy when I started doing mini pictures and have stuck with it.
I've done the putty work on a half-dozen or so of the less involved ones and started on the more involved ones (The ninja are top of that list). Might have some further progress pictures on the weekend. The bandit with the spear came out well.
Putty is all done and I've started on the next few models to fill out the Sohei. Not bothering to post pictures if all I did was fill small gaps.
The stock legs on this one had ugly join gaps, so I redid the armour.
Tarted up the naginata.
Can't have matchlocks without match I've based the way they're using the match on modern Japanese recreation shooters.
You may notice the kusarigama chain has turned around. Damn thing keeps breaking off, but silver lining is that this way around looks better.
Was really happy with these guys until I looked up some kyudo info and discovered that OF COURSE Japanese archers nock their arrows on the outside of the bow, unlike everyone else. And the release is quite distinct, so I adjusted the models:
Oh, I probably won't be doing it because I want a different style of cowl (I've actually removed the work I did on naginata boy - got a better way to sculpt it now), but I reckon if you use the headwrap head from the Persians as a base, you can get a quite good Sohei. Just add a simple extension to the shoulders with putty.