Space 1889

Discuss Wargames Factory's War of Empires products.

Re: Space 1889

Postby mrinku » 01 Jul 2014, 03:17

One large Space:1889 resource that Lonnie's link doesn't show up front, though they do carry copies*, was GDW's house magazine Challenge. Many, many excellent articles from when they released it right up until GDW's collapse. So useful that even though I own them, I've photocopied the Space:1889 stuff for easy reference and handling :)

Man, I miss GDW.

(*for example: http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetai ... GenreID_E_ )
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 01 Jul 2014, 06:40

I miss FASA myself, though GDW does come in a close second.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby mrinku » 01 Jul 2014, 16:44

I was a GDW boy from about 1980 onwards. Traveller (1st edition) was my first RPG and I stuck with 'em all they way through (though I didn't get EVERY product). FASA were okay. Battletech never really took hold with me, though I did like Shadowrun. Still remember when they they just did Traveller stuff.

I've got every GDW Space:1889 product though, except for the High Martian miniatures (which are technically RAFM and still in production).
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 02 Jul 2014, 08:39

Played some Traveller but was/am a Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, and Earth Dawn fanboy, not to mention Battletech & Renegade Legion miniature games. I'm with Lonnie, I miss FASA.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Froggy the Great » 02 Jul 2014, 09:29

So does anyone have Space 1889 figures made from WGF parts they want to show off?
Froggy the Great
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 03 Jul 2014, 05:46

These Martian musket troops in progress use Zulu arms:

And there's this young lady:

Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Froggy the Great » 03 Jul 2014, 06:54

And of course you must list your source parts.
Froggy the Great
Crewman

Postby Mac » 03 Jul 2014, 18:31

Don't Stop Now!!
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mrinku » 04 Jul 2014, 00:38

The rest of the musket lads are Perry Anasar Warriors, with the odd GW Dark Elf blade. Heads are cut down Fuzzy Wuzzy ones; I have since built those up into more respectable Martian hairstyles. Have others in that project, but without WGF parts, and some of them are substantially made from kits in direct competition with WGF, which I will not discuss here. I have posted these on TMP in the VSF forum a little while ago if you want to go looking, though.

The lady in the gown is 100% WGF Apoc Survivor. There's another lady who's made from an Amazon, a pith helmet and an Apoc shotgun (which I've posted before) but she's very much WIP. Oh, and a more "steampunk" lady Air Pirate of colour who is also mostly WGF plus some Perry ACW Cavalry parts. I'll pop them both up when I get home.

Am using WGF British for the German officers for my Lizardmen Askaris (the latter being modified GW models with rifle arms). I'll pop them up again too.

Because I have so many metal character models for 1889/Victorians from back in the day, I don't much need new ones aside from aliens and foreigners. So the plastic projects tend to be skewed that way.

EDIT: Here you go:

And the non WGF but not-in-competition-either ones. The last two aren't Space:1889 specific, but general middle eastern types:
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 28 Jul 2014, 11:50

Man I "SO loved Space 1889", but I was into the ship/ship combat miniature game, no experience in the RPG. It takes a bit, and its rare for RPG to really interest me.
To quote the owner of our FNGS; I guess "I just like to Throw dice and Push lead." (personal amendment here) I prefer to Push Plastic lol.

In fact thats 'partly' why I left 40K 'long ago'. My 'lead' Eldar, just got too darn heavy too lug around. When they 'finally' came out w the all plastic eldar. I had just lost the real interest, especialy for GW's pricing scale'

Back to 1889: I even had to buy the extra mini box sets. .you better believe I still have them lol. I even did some 'very' basic paint work on some to give them more 'life'. All in all.. 'eehh not bad for 'board game' playing pieces I'd say.
To this day, I will do Google / Bing search for "Space 1889 miniature wargames" and will find some cool pics from some games that were played in the past.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to War of Empires