Stupid painting question

Discuss Wargames Factory's World War 2 products.

Stupid painting question

Postby rotnak1271 » 04 Jun 2014, 10:23

So I'm stepping away from the grimdark and now that I've gotten to the point of almost but not quite finishing my first squads I have come upon a conundrum. How do folks mark individual squads to distinguish them during gameplay?
rotnak1271

Re: Stupid painting question

Postby Lonnie » 04 Jun 2014, 11:07

Squads of what?
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 04 Jun 2014, 13:47

There are several things you can try. For fantasy games I've gone with dominant colors and accent colors being the same (black armor with red accents, for example), and I did something similar with the original plastic IG. You can also vary your basing by squad, paint the base edges in different colors, or even paint the a unit ID number/name onto the back of the base.

If you have the free-handing skills, a unit specific badge (something as simple as a square, set of chevrons, or suit emblem from a deck of cards) would all help.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Lonnie » 04 Jun 2014, 16:51

If this is for WWII you can try marking the backs of the bases. I've used Roman numerals for squad designation and color variations on those numerals for platoon designation. So platoon one would have squads I, II, and III in white while platoon two would have I, II, and III squads in blue.

Honestly though, since most squads are separated by a few inches on the battlefield I don't really bother with it anymore and just make sure they all have the right number of miniatures to start.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 05 Jun 2014, 13:15

there is also the tray and banner method, but if this is a skirmisher than you should probably do what Lonnie suggested. it really depends on the game I think.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby mrinku » 05 Jun 2014, 22:36

Another trick that works especially well for platoon-company skirmish level is to personalise the leader models so that you know "that's Joe's squad" or "These guys are led by One-Eye Heinrich".

I used that in my Ork hordes; Choppa being a Boss with a sword-like weapon and Basha being one with a mace-like one.

In most cases the non-leader models will be pretty much identical anyway and units are distinguished by grouping. Weapons should be WYSIWYG.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Return to World War 2