Gladiators

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Gladiators

Postby bvandewalker » 03 Apr 2014, 10:36

Lord_Bryon wrote:I personally would be willing to pay $2 to $4 per model in a gladiator set that has loads of options. The ability to customize and enjoy my time modeling is worth paying the normal price for metals in my opinion.

Maybe for you, but for $20-$25 I would want 18-20 plastic models at least and if I want more options I will kitbash them from other sets.

Luoshangzhi wrote:
Lonnie wrote:We've spoken about Gladiator sets in the past. IF we did them there would probably only be 12 in a box, not 30 and they'd sell for the same price as all of the other boxes $21.95-$24.95 USD. I can see a sprue with 6 bodies and a multitude of add-ons/weapons and head option; maybe a lion or 2 and possibly a casualty.

If we did a box of 12 at $24.95, would you pay $2.07 (before tax or VAT) for them?

I'd call that a fair price. If the set included one female gladiator pose with some arm and head options as well as a lion or two I'd say gladiator set for the win. Further, such a set would be great for fantasy RPG character conversions. If the body armor such as greaves are separate parts, then so much the better. ;)

Okay if you add Two lions or tigers it might go on my list, but might I suggest that instead of cramming all the options into one box we make a couple of sets and have open hands for the gladiators.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Togodumnus » 03 Apr 2014, 21:31

Lonnie wrote:If we did a box of 12 at $24.95, would you pay $2.07 (before tax or VAT) for them?

Probably, especially if it was 12 gladiators and a lion, and especially if one of the bodies was a gladiatrix and/or some of the less common types could be made from the set. Perhaps one body could be armored, to make cruppellarius/scissori/cataphractus, a left sword arm to make a dimachaerus, etc.
Togodumnus
Cadet

Postby bvandewalker » 04 Apr 2014, 14:42

Still say you can do these guys as couple of set, particularly given that most of the of people here want them for fantasy army projects or solders for a Spartacus army (who probably didn't even wear gladiator armor), and there is a game coming out for gladiators, which means there might even be a bigger market for different sets by the time WGF starts making the sets.

They should start with the heavy gladiators, than a separate set of light gladiators, and if the sets sales are good some Arena Beasts like crocodiles, lions, tigers, and bears. than do a set of light female Gladiators, and if sales are still going good do a heavy female Gladiator set.

The reason you should do it this way is that it fairly easy to convert and kit-bash the WGF amazons into heavy female Gladiators, in fact I think the Amazon set would fill this roll better than what it was originally intended for since the real Amazons were horse back archers that dressed the same as male Scythian. :)
Last edited by bvandewalker on 05 May 2015, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby crazyharborc » 04 Apr 2014, 18:20

12 for $21.95 to $24.95 is well okay. THAT said, if the new enclosed minies called out to me the first time I see them all the better. Gladiators are not on the top of my want list.
crazyharborc
Crewman

Postby Lord_Bryon » 18 Apr 2014, 14:21

Leland mentioned on another thread that the body types should represent the variation we see in reality. Similar to how the survivor kits had fat guys and gals and what not.

My understanding is that most Gladiators had a little junk in the trunk so to speak. So making them look like this guy would be fine by me.

Malakili.jpg
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby 1classybadger » 13 May 2014, 13:43

well just thought I'd bring this thread back to life. the fine folks behind the SAGA systemn have released a game systemn around gladiatorial combat
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 13 May 2014, 15:41

I sort of mentioned that earlier badger to support my multi set argument, although we actually have all the parts we need to do basic light male gladiators in the roman empire sets. the only thing missing is some of the funky helmets.

Edit: Come to think of it, this would be a good excuse to set make of easy to convert female and would work perfect with the "tunic wearing, fighting slave girls" aspect.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby robbie038 » 14 May 2014, 07:53

I would buy at least 1 box more if you somehow mannaged to include more wild beast. perhaps a bear or a boar.
robbie038
Crewman

Postby Lord_Bryon » 14 May 2014, 08:15

I think wild beasts would be a must. I also like the idea of some hapless victims being thrown in like the Christian martyrs and slaves that were fed to the beasts and so on.

I'm not sure the kit would need more than 8 or 10 actual gladiators. I'd be fine with 6 if there were extra animals and victims.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 14 May 2014, 09:35

Lord_Bryon wrote:Leland mentioned on another thread that the body types should represent the variation we see in reality. Similar to how the survivor kits had fat guys and gals and what not.

My understanding is that most Gladiators had a little junk in the trunk so to speak. So making them look like this guy would be fine by me.

Malakili.jpg

The reason the Romans liked their gladiators with some meat on their bones was apparently that the Romans saw the added bulk as a form of natural body armor of sorts. Gladiators were fed a regular diet of barley stew to develop this bulk along with their daily physical training regime. Barley was/is high in calories as well as nutritional value, but it also can be tough to chew, hence why a Roman slag for gladiators translates to "barley crunchers." ;)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products