Gladiators

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Gladiators

Postby Lonnie » 14 May 2014, 09:43

Further to Leland's point, gladiators had a layer of fat on them to not only protect their organs from spilling out but for the theatrics; cut through the skin and you get a lot of blood but that fat layer keeps the cut from doing much damage to the property (which most gladiators were). The Romans wanted blood but not necessarily death and the owner of a gladiator stable certainly didn't want his prize fighters too debilitated to fight at next week's games; it cost them too much in training, feed and upkeep just to have these guys die. Of course accidents did happen. I think of it like WWF wrestling but with swords and other pointy/slashy things.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 14 May 2014, 10:12

Lonnie wrote:Further to Leland's point, gladiators had a layer of fat on them to not only protect their organs from spilling out but for the theatrics; cut through the skin and you get a lot of blood but that fat layer keeps the cut from doing much damage to the property (which most gladiators were). The Romans wanted blood but not necessarily death and the owner of a gladiator stable certainly didn't want his prize fighters too debilitated to fight at next week's games; it cost them too much in training, feed and upkeep just to have these guys die. Of course accidents did happen. I think of it like WWF wrestling but with swords and other pointy/slashy things.

Bingo! 8-)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Lord_Bryon » 14 May 2014, 12:58

You had me at fatties. Not nearly enough fat dudes in miniature IMHO.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 26 Jun 2014, 10:02

I was browsing a gaming blog (http://chicagoterrainfactory.wordpress.com) and I found this picture from adeptacon.

adepticon2012-044.jpg

This unit of gladiators is exactly the kind of project I've been wanting to do. Just need proper plastic WGF gladiators to make it happen.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Mark still » 05 May 2015, 05:16

Funny that joined the forum for that exact thing! spent a small fortune in conversion bits for Romans & Greeks only used these to keep the cost of period weapons down also bought some Irregular miniature gladiators these too have been converted.
(CP models here in UK do some nice Gladiator Heads & some weapons cheap)

Afterward thought it would amazing to see someone make these in plastic mutlipart kits.
Not only for Amphitheater games but also Sparticus's slave revolt.
Mark still

Postby Lord_Bryon » 06 May 2015, 07:53

I'm in. Still chomping at the bit to turn this project into a reality.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 06 May 2015, 17:44

Well, I suppose the Kobolds could use some heavily armored slave soldiers as meat shields.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 06 May 2015, 18:30

A gladiator kit would go well with various post-apocalyptic crews, as well.

Very "Mad Max" after a little green stuff and a couple weapon swaps.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Lord_Bryon » 07 May 2015, 07:34

Strawhat you make a great point. Can maybe make some of the guys from borderlands game series as well. I for one would not take issue with a multipurpose kit that comes with smg's and chainsaws as well as nets and tridents.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 07 May 2015, 16:44

With all the options available as far as weapons and armor go for the gladiators, I wouldn't expect there to be enough room for modern accessories...especially if we were fortunate enough to get a gladiatrix on the frame.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products