More Surviors

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: More Surviors

Postby bvandewalker » 03 Apr 2014, 14:38

Lord_Bryon wrote:
On a side note, how long to zombies stay animated? Does it take days, weeks, or months for the brain and muscle tissue of an animated corpse to decay to a point that it is unable to function? Or is there a function of the zombie virus that preserves it’s host longer than is natural?

Assuming that 85 to 90% of the world’s population succumbs to the plague in a relatively rapid fashion I assume the 10 to 15% of survivors would be able to find secluded refuge and wait out the zombie apocalypse.

If faced with survival in a zombie apocalypse scenario. I would collect as many supplies as possible and hijack a tanker ship and stay at sea for months until the dead stop walking. Just saying.

Bodies decompose is pretty fast, so probably a month, maybe two. Unless it's magical, in which case throw science out the window.

the survivor rate could be as much as 30-40% depending weather and reporting. In fact, even if it were possible, I don't think a zed outbreak would get much farther than a few miles from its place of origin (read city or town) unless someone was actively causing the outbreaks like terrorist. It is quit likely that the resident evil protocol of nuking an infected area would happen before the virus spread could else where (and I am adding in the bureaucrats).

It would probably be smartest to pick a smaller boat, less likely to pick up unwanted zed passengers. what you want to do is go island hopping to seek out other survivors, chances are that plague won't make it to the island outposts before you do and it really isn't wise to take a tanker ship without a crew unless you want sit in the harbor while the forces of undeath surround you and the city burns.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby bvandewalker » 03 Apr 2014, 14:47

Lonnie wrote:You need to look at World War Z, the book not the (in my opinion) horrible film. Using WWZ as canon, zombies do not rot, they "wear away". No organism attacks the infected to help break them down after death and the virus keeps them mobile until the tissues break down from everyday wear and tear. They don't smell and also excrete a protective substance from the skin glands to help keep them somewhat protected from the elements. Zombies can stay dormant for long periods of time but are attracted to movement and especially sound. They also freeze in very cold weather. So, a single zombie can last for several years, especially if it lies dormant.

Lonnie, the WGF Zombies are rotters, ;)

you can tell by the sculpts for both sets. You can use them as WWZ zombies, but I think we should assume that they suffer decomp for are proposal purposes.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Lonnie » 03 Apr 2014, 15:08

Re-read the book. The don't rot. There is no real smell to the zeds in WWZ (and other related print product from Max Brooks). Most of our zeds aren't rotters either. Once the Solanum (sp) virus infects the person, it can take several minutes to several hours for the "burn" to complete but, once complete, the body has a typical (un)life span of 4-years before it wears out, depending on environmental conditions.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby mrinku » 03 Apr 2014, 17:07

It's not the reloading of the ammo that's the issue, it's the lead, primer and propellant supply. Most likely you'll be able to find ammo stocks more easily (or at the same locations) as reload stocks.

Yeah, bows and crossbows are always solid, and their ammo can be much more easily field-manufactured from salvage, as well as being able to be recovered a lot of the time. The weak point there are the strings. As they break, proper replacements may be hard to source, so jury-rig solutions may be needed (although this may not be obvious on a 28mm model). Lower power and simpler bow weapons may start to be more common than fancy compound bows and high power crossbows, which really need their quality strings.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 04 Apr 2014, 09:29

I think slings would become widely used as well. I imagine rock to the head kills the zed. I manufactured a sling with para cord and it works pretty well. Problem is I don't have enough skill with it to hit a small target consistently.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 04 Apr 2014, 10:23

As a kid my best friend and his younger brother received a pair of slingshots with arm braces.

Those things were deadly and fairly accurate up to a certain range.

Have no idea what his parents were thinking letting us play with them. We could have easily put someone's eye out.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby mrinku » 04 Apr 2014, 12:52

Agreed. Lost opportunity for the kid on the sprue not to be armed with one :)

Well... there's always conversion land...
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby robbie038 » 21 May 2014, 08:32

I would like to suport this project, since with a few extra's on the sprue you could make Shadowrun figures. for that we would need some "bionic parts" on the sprue.
that would be nice.
but I'm more than willing to settle for set with some upgrade sprue's so I could configure my own figures.
robbie038
Crewman

Postby Lonnie » 27 Jul 2014, 16:19

Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby wmyers » 29 Aug 2014, 23:04

wmyers