The Great War 1914-18

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: The Great War 1914-18

Postby mrinku » 12 Mar 2014, 17:51

Many of the uniform changes are insignificant at 28mm. I'm aware of the model change and differences for the helmet, but doubt many would be able to spot them at that scale (yourself excepted - I am in awe of your passion!). Material and colour changes to the uniforms are also not major issues for a modeller, as long the the design and cut are roughly the same. A little conversion goes a long way!

Naturally you can do 13e DBLE wholly with Commonwealth minis - I was just thinking in terms of handy parts for a bit of spice.

Heck, I'm planning to use a lot of 8th Army bodies to make up my DAK boys whenever I get around to THAT project, since it's the only easy way to get troops in shorts and short sleeves, whether looted or German issue ones.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 12 Mar 2014, 18:41

mrinku wrote:Many of the uniform changes are insignificant at 28mm. I'm aware of the model change and differences for the helmet, but doubt many would be able to spot them at that scale (yourself excepted - I am in awe of your passion!). Material and colour changes to the uniforms are also not major issues for a modeller, as long the the design and cut are roughly the same. A little conversion goes a long way!

Naturally you can do 13e DBLE wholly with Commonwealth minis - I was just thinking in terms of handy parts for a bit of spice.

Heck, I'm planning to use a lot of 8th Army bodies to make up my DAK boys whenever I get around to THAT project, since it's the only easy way to get troops in shorts and short sleeves, whether looted or German issue ones.

Actually, having done the research for Crusader Miniatures 1940 French, and a few other manufacturers over the years, I can confirm that in 28mm scale, you *will* notice the differences in major pieces of kit, from the four part M1915 Adrian helmet versus the two-part M1926, to the backpack and ammunition pouches, and the cut of the uniform trousers (to say nothing of the weapons). I own a variety of French soldiers from both World Wars in 1/72 and 28mm scale, and yes, you can spot the differences in kit, even at the smaller scale. Seriously, if such details didn't matter, there wouldn't be a market for figures depicting the two periods, and companies like Crusader, Pegasus, Renegade, Artizan, Brigade, et al wouldn't even try and make figures that differentiate between the two periods.

As for the DAK in shorts, Artizan Designs makes a number of poses in metal in 28mm of the DAK in shorts:

http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?cat=102&sub=105&page=1
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby robbie038 » 18 Mar 2014, 05:57

Although I'm a dutchman , and Holland didn't take part in the Great war.
I would like to see sets that are related to this time and period.

1914 Germans with pickelhaube heads and with jeager type caps
1914 French with kepis
1914 Brittish with the option to convert them in to canadians or with slaughheads to convert them into anzac troops.

and of course also some late war
robbie038
Crewman

Postby Luoshangzhi » 07 Jun 2015, 20:00

Some threadnomancy here, as we're now underway in the centennial of the Great War 1914-18. I remain surprised that there appears to be little interest in WF covering this period in 15mm at the very least; a set of Germans and a set of either British or French for either the first year of the war or the last two would IMHO make for some very handy "building block" set for fielding viable wargame armies. A hypothetical contents layout for a 1917-18 French and 1917-18 German sets could look as follows based upon the 46-figure sprue in the 15mm WW2 US Infantry set (2 sprues per box, 92 total figures):

French Army (post-Nivelle Offensive reforms):

2 junior officers (pistols and waving troops forward)

10 NCOs (rifles and pointing, gesturing, etc)

8 VB rifle grenade launchers

6 Chauchat gunners advancing firing (CSRG 15 automatic rifle)

6 Chauchat ammo bearers advancing (pistols, ammo bags, spare magazine in hand at the ready)

2 Hotchkiss M1914 heavy machine guns (gun and tripod = 2 figures on sprue)

2 gunners for M1914

2 loaders for M1914

2 81mm Brandt mortiers (mortar tube and bipod = two figures on sprue)

2 mortar gunners

2 mortar loaders

2 mortar team leaders (binoculars)

40 riflemen in various poses advancing, standing firing, kneeling firing

2 snipers with scoped rifles kneeling firing or crouching/stalking

All would wear the M1915 Adrian helmet and be in assault order (lightened kit).

German Army Stosstruppen 1917-18:

2 junior officers (pistols and waving troops forward/shouting orders)

10 NCOs (9 rifles and 1 with MP18 submachine gun)

2 rifle grenades

2 flammenwerfer gunners

2 flammenwerfer fuel tank carriers

6 Lewis light machinegunners

6 Lewis gun loaders

2 MG 08 heavy machine guns

2 MG 08 gunners

2 MG 08 loaders

2 light minenwerfers

2 minenwerfer gunners

2 minenwerfer gunners

2 minenwerfer gun team leader

40 riflemen

2 snipers with scoped rifles

All would wear the M1915 stahlhelm and assault order, Riflemen poses would ideally emphasize sandbags converted to use as grenade bags, and slung rifles with hand grenades at the ready in keeping with the stosstruppen tactical doctrine.

A British infantry set could follow the same layout. Each of these sets could depending upon the rules in use serve to field a representative infantry battalion, regiment, or even division depending upon the figure scale.
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 07 Jun 2015, 23:27

Well I did suggest 15mm infantry/cavalry sets for WWI earlier in this thread.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Luoshangzhi » 08 Jun 2015, 23:49

bvandewalker wrote:Well I did suggest 15mm infantry/cavalry sets for WWI earlier in this thread.

Yes, you have your uses... :lol:

All teasing aside, I am hoping that WF picks up the gauntlet before the centennial passes.... 8-)
Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 09 Jun 2015, 04:50

Luoshangzhi wrote:
bvandewalker wrote:Well I did suggest 15mm infantry/cavalry sets for WWI earlier in this thread.

All teasing aside, I am hoping that WF picks up the gauntlet before the centennial passes.... 8-)

Hey.... :lol:

but seriously, at the rate things are going.... It might be smarter for them focus elsewhere sadly. :cry:

However, I have been thinking maybe the alien sun troops could represent WWI germens...in space. ;)
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 09 Jun 2015, 22:05

Luoshangzhi wrote:

Airfix had big plans for WWI figures and sets. Announced them. Produced set pictures. Then cancelled them.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 10 Jun 2015, 02:45

Victrix also announced stuff but nothing has been seen for a long time on that.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby wmyers » 13 Jun 2015, 14:38

mrinku wrote:Victrix also announced stuff but nothing has been seen for a long time on that.

Kind of makes a person think the believed marketability of such an endeavour is non-existent.

In an era of rampant liberalism "war" and "conflict" are far from politically correct.
wmyers
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products