The Great War 1914-18

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: The Great War 1914-18

Postby Strawhat » 08 Mar 2014, 21:56

Luoshangzhi wrote:Play Call of Cthulhu?

I do not, unfortunately. I must also confess that I've never read any of Lovecraft's work--a situation that I will eventually rectify.

I currently have one game that is, oddly enough, not yet released. The 1911 would make for prime conversions, even though for movie accuracy it really should be the HK VP70 or Smith and Wesson M39. But the 1911 is just undeniably cool, and works with the story for one of the associated video games. The shotgun is just something that any given corporal might want to have handy for "close encounters."

I'm also a big fan of the M1, which I would want for Survivors. It may not be as sexy as more modern weapons, but I believe it would be just as serviceable.

But I do appreciate the utility of any given set.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Luoshangzhi » 09 Mar 2014, 18:04

mrinku wrote:Just make sure any French sprue can be kitted out as Legion. You'll sell 'em hand over fist! :)

If we're talking about the Legion Etranger for the Great War through the 1920s, then the basic French infantry will do just fine. The only difference between the Armee de Afrique infantry and the Metropolitan poilus was the uniform colors; horizon bleu for the later, and mustard khaki for the Legion and the assorted zouaves, turcos, and tirailleurs (see my earlier posting of the uniform color plates above). The helmet badges were different, but in this scale the details are lost to such a degree that it won't matter.

If by Legion Etranger you're thinking of the kepi with the cloth neck cover, perhaps they could be included if there's enough room in the set as alternative heads, although tropical pith helmets would be an even better alternative, as the pith helmet was worn by the Legion in Gallipoli, in the Far East, and in Syria in the 1920s. It wasn't a popular item, but it was what they were given. :shock:
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Luoshangzhi » 09 Mar 2014, 18:11

Strawhat wrote:
Luoshangzhi wrote:Play Call of Cthulhu?

I do not, unfortunately. I must also confess that I've never read any of Lovecraft's work--a situation that I will eventually rectify.

I currently have one game that is, oddly enough, not yet released. The 1911 would make for prime conversions, even though for movie accuracy it really should be the HK VP70 or Smith and Wesson M39. But the 1911 is just undeniably cool, and works with the story for one of the associated video games. The shotgun is just something that any given corporal might want to have handy for "close encounters."

I'm also a big fan of the M1, which I would want for Survivors. It may not be as sexy as more modern weapons, but I believe it would be just as serviceable.

But I do appreciate the utility of any given set.

Lovecraft's works are good, campy, 1920s horror that for its time was considered pretty unsettling, but for we denizens of the 21st century highly entertaining. Lovecraft's prose alone is pretty darn entertaining, as clearly Lovecraft *hated* seafood... :lol:

By M1 I was referring to the M1 trench helmet just to be clear. The M1903 Springfield (which my Dad was issued with in 1941!) is the rifle used by our troops during the Great War. It's still a wonderfully accurate, powerful, and reliable piece of hardware even by today's standards.

The M1911 is another timeless piece of firepower history. I was out at a shooting range a number of years ago with a friend taking turns firing his short .45 service gun. when we heard a loud and steady banging from the next station over. We looked over and there standing in a perfect one handed classic pistol shooter's pose was a white haired gentleman with a distinctive old school military bearing firing a full sized M1911 with perfect control, as if the gun were a mere extension of his arm. The gun itself was clearly old, and we suspected that the two of them had been together as a team for a very long time. 8-)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 09 Mar 2014, 22:09

Luoshangzhi wrote:By M1 I was referring to the M1 trench helmet just to be clear. The M1903 Springfield (which my Dad was issued with in 1941!) is the rifle used by our troops during the Great War. It's still a wonderfully accurate, powerful, and reliable piece of hardware even by today's standards.

Mea culpa.

Another reason why I tend to avoid historic games--I just can't remember all the details (and, it would seem, too lazy to check).

Sit me down with a spreadsheet and I can find the errors (eventually), give me easily googled dates and I'm done for. :oops:
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Luoshangzhi » 10 Mar 2014, 10:16

Strawhat wrote:
Another reason why I tend to avoid historic games--I just can't remember all the details (and, it would seem, too lazy to check).

Sit me down with a spreadsheet and I can find the errors (eventually), give me easily googled dates and I'm done for. :oops:

Then I am going to do you a big disservice and a favor all at the same time. Are you familiar with Osprey Publishing's Men-at-Arms series of books? Each is short, usually under $20 USD a pop, chocked full of photos, illustrations, and includes as set of excellent color plates depicting the focus of the particular volume. There are several titles on the U.S. forces in the Great War, plus of course volumes covering the French Army 1914-18, the Legion Etranger, the British Army, the German Army including an Elite series volume on the Stosstruppen, et al.

They're available through Amazon.com BTW, among other online sellers.

Osprey's monographs are a great way to keep yourself informed on a particular historical military topic without breaking you bank account or your mind. :lol:
Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 10 Mar 2014, 18:38

You might be doing my wallet a disservice, but I appreciate being shown where to find knowledge (much easier than doing the digging on my own)! Especially when it's broken down into easily digestible bits.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Luoshangzhi » 10 Mar 2014, 19:01

Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 11 Mar 2014, 18:09

Luoshangzhi wrote:If we're talking about the Legion Etranger for the Great War through the 1920s, then the basic French infantry will do just fine.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the post-war "Beau Geste" period. Pulp era skirmishing and roleplaying is fairly popular. But even when they would have been wearing the Adrian, a lot of gamers like to model them with the kepi blanc to gve them a visual point of difference. It's like slouch hats for Australians - very rarely worn in battle, but very commonly modelled so they look different to British units.

And pith helmets we already have, though I'd be stoked to have more of 'em :)

Plus you could use the heads on WW2 Commonwealth kits for 13e DBLE ;)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Highlandsamurai » 12 Mar 2014, 12:11

I too would appreciate a WW1 theme. It would be perfect for historical gaming or pulp gaming as has already been mentioned here.
Highlandsamurai
Cadet

Postby Luoshangzhi » 12 Mar 2014, 16:28

mrinku wrote:
Luoshangzhi wrote:If we're talking about the Legion Etranger for the Great War through the 1920s, then the basic French infantry will do just fine.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the post-war "Beau Geste" period. Pulp era skirmishing and roleplaying is fairly popular. But even when they would have been wearing the Adrian, a lot of gamers like to model them with the kepi blanc to gve them a visual point of difference. It's like slouch hats for Australians - very rarely worn in battle, but very commonly modelled so they look different to British units.

And pith helmets we already have, though I'd be stoked to have more of 'em :)

Plus you could use the heads on WW2 Commonwealth kits for 13e DBLE ;)

If there's room for extra heads wearing the kepi blanch, so much the better, as the Adrian was not universally issued to the Legion Etranger overseas in the aftermath of WW1 (frontline Metropolitan and colonial units were prioritized, followed by other combat fronts, with the colonies being last on the list for issue of the new helmet).

Concerning the pith helmets, there was some difference between what the French issued their troops in Syria and the Levant versus the British issue in 1879:

The following is a great reconstruction showing the evolution of the French infantryman's uniform and kit during the course of the Great War:

Concerning the appearance of the members of the 13th DBLE, actually, you'd want to do the conversion the other way 'around:

[img]http://u.jimdo.com/www25/o/sbac982ce68f4f8de/img/i4a551c986232616c/1391470189/thumb/10-août-42-el-tahag-remise-de-la-croix-de-la-liberation-après-bir-hakeim-par-le-general-de-de-gaulle-au-general-koenig-lt-colonel-amilakvari-capitaine-brunet-de-sairigne-et-deux-legionnaires-de-la-13ème-dble-robert-boulan.jpg[/img]

By Bir Hakiem the 13 DBLE was fairly well reliant upon British stocks for uniforms, and British helmets were quite common. The Legionnaries made a point to try and retain Adrian helmets or kepi blanc whenever possible as a point of honor and national identity, but in practice, the majority of the uniforms, weapons, and other equipment were British in origin.

The French forces of WW2 wore a very different uniform from that issued in 1918. The helmet had changed with the issue of the M1926 Adrian, and the uniform cut and equipment were updated between the wars:

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig20/10205336b.jpg

Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products