Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legends!

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby mrinku » 28 Jun 2015, 17:35

You'd be able to get away with it in a historical kit, but otherwise best left alone.

Prayer beads and a portable temple in a Sohei kit? Sure. Crosses on crusaders? Of course!

Some fictional devotional symbols would be fine for a Fantasy or SF setting. GW are quite good in doing that with their games - both WHFB and 40K use a LOT of religious iconography that is inspired by real world use, but using symbols they made up, or adapted. The cult of The Lady and The Grail by the Brettonians is a good example, as is the Hammer of Sigmar and the Space Marine skull motif.

My issue with included iconography would be more from a modelling standpoint in a generic kit - unless the symbols are separate pieces, they're best left to converters to add. You'd be putting more work in to remove a moulded cross or crescent than to add one using paint or a bit of putty.

However, *Books* (as opposed to Bibles or Korans) and other generic paraphernalia are a very good idea. Chalices, incense burners and candles are not specific, neither are altars. And prayer beads are common to quite a few sects.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 29 Jun 2015, 08:02

mrinku wrote:My issue with included iconography would be more from a modelling standpoint in a generic kit - unless the symbols are separate pieces, they're best left to converters to add. You'd be putting more work in to remove a moulded cross or crescent than to add one using paint or a bit of putty.

However, *Books* (as opposed to Bibles or Korans) and other generic paraphernalia are a very good idea. Chalices, incense burners and candles are not specific, neither are altars. And prayer beads are common to quite a few sects.

Totally agree. I wouldn't want the symbols cast onto the models directly. In my opinion that would ruin their diversity as a kit. I'd prefer that any books included not have symbols on them. As Mrinku stated if I want it to be a bible I can paint a cross on the cover. However, I think there needs to be a necronomicon included because it's awesome. Then again that sort of thing could be green stuffed onto a book.

I want to be clear I don't care whether or not the kit has obviously Christian iconography or not. In my mind I see it helping the kit more than detracting from it. I just don't agree with the assumption that the inclusion of such would create a negative impact on the kit or the company. I'm more than happy to concede the point and accept the opinions of others.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 30 Jun 2015, 21:15

mrinku wrote:You'd be able to get away with it in a historical kit, but otherwise best left alone.

Prayer beads and a portable temple in a Sohei kit? Sure. Crosses on crusaders? Of course!

My main point almost exactly. There are even some images you just can't mess with though even in a historical setting (unless it is the "right" historical setting with the "right" treatment :evil: ), I mean what is your first thought when you see swastika? bet isn't this:

mrinku wrote: Some fictional devotional symbols would be fine for a Fantasy or SF setting. GW are quite good in doing that with their games - both WHFB and 40K use a LOT of religious iconography that is inspired by real world use, but using symbols they made up, or adapted. The cult of The Lady and The Grail by the Brettonians is a good example, as is the Hammer of Sigmar and the Space Marine skull motif.

My issue with included iconography would be more from a modelling standpoint in a generic kit - unless the symbols are separate pieces, they're best left to converters to add. You'd be putting more work in to remove a moulded cross or crescent than to add one using paint or a bit of putty.

Wait, you mean there WH40k iconography besides Skulls? :o (okay I actually know there is, but still can't pass that joke up :lol: )

All joking aside we probably should keep our cultists as Iconoclasts simply from a conversion point of view. Plane books, chalices, incense burners and candles would be welcome, I am not too sure about prayer beads though since I would rather add them on with greenstuff at some point than having filling them off constantly.

we might however want some sort of fantastic decoration on the alter maybe not iconography but geometric pattern on the sides perhaps or maybe organic touches (just a thought).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Luoshangzhi » 30 Jun 2015, 22:58

bvandewalker wrote:I mean what is your first thought when you see swastika? bet isn't this:

That depends upon the topic...

Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 18 Jul 2015, 17:51

And a missed opportunity for WGF.

A certain miniatures company is putting out some new cultist, with unoccupied altar, miniatures as part of a Kickstarter. Additionally there are a couple creatures from a well-known (public domain) set of mythos and room for two (or more) expansions as goals unlock. And there's a nice stone circle for a pretty danged reasonable price.

It's poured plastic and not necessarily easily converted, but it's there.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Dibbler » 20 Jul 2015, 06:22

The bones plastic is easily cut with a hobby knife, and super glues very well to itself. You can't assemble the figs like you can with hard plastic, tho.
Dibbler
Cadet

Postby Psychopomp » 20 Jul 2015, 18:21

The Bones cultist have a unique look. What I'm wanting out of a cultist kit is guys in hooded monks' robes that would look fine as armed monks or medieval cultists depending on the paint color of the robes, but that would also serve as a blank canvas for any number of conversions.

The shrine and victim was the idea from when this thread was going strong years ago, and obviously nothing happened with it. I thought it was silly back when I was following it then. It would take up too much space on sprues for scenery that's fairly limited in scope and purpose!

All I want is a nice sprue of ten or so robed, hooded cultists for fantasy/medieval, with open hands for all sorts of interesting conversions. The possibilities of just robes and hoods on multipart plastic miniatures are even grander than the survivors sprues, and I see them used all over the place for everything from scifi to post-apoc conversions! I would throw money at the company that provided such a product, and I can't believe no one's thought to provide it yet!
Psychopomp

Postby mrinku » 20 Jul 2015, 22:55

GW did do Flagellants in plastic for Warhammer. They could be useful if you can find some.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Psychopomp » 21 Jul 2015, 10:03

mrinku wrote:GW did do Flagellants in plastic for Warhammer. They could be useful if you can find some.

They're decent models, but they're dressed in rags and tatters and have the usual GW hydrocephalus and elephantiasis of the hands. I just sold off some on eBay, because they weren't right for what I want to do.

I want plastics dressed in monk/cultists robes as this picture from a few pages back:

except with boots and more dynamic posing. To many companies make cultist models for their specific idea of cultists, but very few make generic robed cultists that are easily converted. The few generic cultists out there tend to be metal and clutching specific genre weapons to their chests.

I think a dual kit for monks/cultists with open hands would be useful not just for medieval monks and fantasy cultists, but you'd have gamers of every genre buying them up to make everything from 40K Chaos Cultists to pulp/Mythos cultists to post-apocalypse scribes/mutant cultists.
Psychopomp

Postby mrinku » 21 Jul 2015, 17:32

Yeah, I do fully agree and was really clutching at straws with the Flagellant point :)

GW does have the right plastic head for this sort of model in the Dark Angel Space Marine line (and normal sized face). Bitz retailers can help with sourcing them. Perry Anasar Warriors are a good resource for less heavily robed bodies and bald heads. Robes themselves are a fairly easy sculpting project - WGF Persians spring to mind as decent (and dirt cheap) base models to add those to.

Unfortunately I can't really see WGF doing this project any time soon. We know of three, possibly four releases in the works - Artillery and Hessians for AWI and the Apoc Bikers (and possibly Apoc pickup/Technical), plus they seem to have scaled back their original kit work.

The historical manufacturers like Perry, Victrix and Warlord have no real reason to make this kit in plastic; to be honest the best chance we have is for GW to add some kind of monk or cultist in the Age of Sigmar or 40K stuff.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products