Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legends!

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby bvandewalker » 21 Jul 2015, 18:39

mrinku wrote:Yeah, I do fully agree and was really clutching at straws with the Flagellant point :)

GW does have the right plastic head for this sort of model in the Dark Angel Space Marine line (and normal sized face). Bitz retailers can help with sourcing them. Perry Anasar Warriors are a good resource for less heavily robed bodies and bald heads. Robes themselves are a fairly easy sculpting project - WGF Persians spring to mind as decent (and dirt cheap) base models to add those to.

Unfortunately I can't really see WGF doing this project any time soon. We know of three, possibly four releases in the works - Artillery and Hessians for AWI and the Apoc Bikers (and possibly Apoc pickup/Technical), plus they seem to have scaled back their original kit work.

The historical manufacturers like Perry, Victrix and Warlord have no real reason to make this kit in plastic; to be honest the best chance we have is for GW to add some kind of monk or cultist in the Age of Sigmar or 40K stuff.


Well there is always the possibility that some other player like Mantic might make some cultists (they are already planning on doing some demons from the looks of things ;) ) and than there are the newer and/or smaller players like eccentric miniatures that may do it in plastic.

Heck, someone may come across this little thread and decide to kickstart it to life, after all it is not like this is a top secret copyrighted think tank (I am pretty sure eccentric miniatures has spied on the wgf forum since their archers are dressed exactly like how one of the other commenters wanted them to be dressed :lol: ).

Edit: Oh, and also the cultists may actually be the fourth set since when we started this thread it was a general set and one of the moderators (I think it was paul) said that WGF wasn't going to do vehicles (of course they sort of broke that rule with the bikes :? )
bvandewalker
Captain
 
Posts: 862
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 15:31

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby Strawhat » 21 Jul 2015, 21:50

mrinku wrote:Unfortunately I can't really see WGF doing this project any time soon. We know of three, possibly four releases in the works - Artillery and Hessians for AWI and the Apoc Bikers (and possibly Apoc pickup/Technical), plus they seem to have scaled back their original kit work.

There are, I believe, still three unknown sets--maybe four.

We know about the Apocalypse Bikers and retooled male zombies (both high on my "want" list). Who knows what else made it in? The talks for the apocalypse bikers were going on at roughly the same time, and (IIRC) robed cultists have been high on peoples' lists for longer than the bikers.

I'd still be happy to fill in the cultists with some more generic ones rather than the static poses that the other guys are offering.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
User avatar
Strawhat
Chief
 
Posts: 209
Joined: 04 Mar 2014, 22:44
Location: Nebraska

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby mrinku » 22 Jul 2015, 19:35

Oh, yeah - forgot about the retooled male Z's.

Lonnie seemed to be pretty intent on the Technical discussion, but as you say the discussion about the cultists was of a similar level. Even though he has left, he was important at the time the decisions were made about what projects got the green light to move to sculpting over the last few years. But if it hasn't progressed to mold cutting, any digital sculpt can be parked indefinitely at no extra cost.

@bvandewalker: Bikes aren't real vehicles from a multipart plastic model kit point of view. They're much more like cavalry - a few extra pieces, a big base and riding legs/torso.
Mark Dewis
User avatar
mrinku
Commander
 
Posts: 574
Joined: 05 Mar 2014, 04:17
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby bvandewalker » 23 Jul 2015, 04:21

mrinku wrote:@bvandewalker: Bikes aren't real vehicles from a multipart plastic model kit point of view. They're much more like cavalry - a few extra pieces, a big base and riding legs/torso.


From a war gaming angle that argument works (indeed that is why I added "sort of", because I know about that argument :lol: ), but in real life they are classed as vehicles and I dare you to say otherwise to the DMV in my state. :twisted:

also they are doing the bikes more like a mounted/dismounted knight set than pure cavalry if the test sprue pic is anything to go by. :lol:
Last edited by bvandewalker on 25 Sep 2015, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain
 
Posts: 862
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 15:31

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby Jack007 » 23 Jul 2015, 17:48

bvandewalker wrote: I mean what is your first thought when you see swastika?

Yea, I would be very surprised if you could find a dozen people in their early 30s (barring history majors) that have any knowledge what-so-ever, that the swastika has been around long -long before anyone even imagined the word "Hitler". And even more would be shocked, (more likely refuse to believe) that its actaual meaning could be said to be a positive message.. Infinity. Just another of many symbols that soldiers put on their equipment or even their own body to inspire the idea they would 'live forever', or at least through the next battle.

Wait, you mean there WH40k iconography besides Skulls? :o (okay I actually know there is, but still can't pass that joke up

LOL.. I have to totally agree with that one! When I first found GW and the 40K world, I thought, "Ok the goth icons, skulls etc.. so cool!"
Now, 500 skulls later.. my thoughts are more along the lines of.. OK, you like skulls we got it, we got it. To be honest, Im looking at 'maybe' getting some used dreadnoughts just because I still think they are some to the coolest models ever hit a game table. (If only I could find them in 15mm -1/100 scale).

However I keep thinking, if I do get them just to paint or even come up with my own Robot - Mecha, perhaps more modern War of the Worlds game, I have GOT to get some of those damn skulls and other such inconic images OFF, I just cant take it any more. :?
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
User avatar
Jack007
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 334
Joined: 09 Mar 2014, 02:29
Location: Florida, United States

Re: Robed Cultists--Alien Suns, Dark Futures, Myths & Legend

Postby bvandewalker » 24 Jul 2015, 01:45

Jack007 wrote:Yea, I would be very surprised if you could find a dozen people in their early 30s (barring history majors) that have any knowledge what-so-ever, that the swastika has been around long -long before anyone even imagined the word "Hitler". And even more would be shocked, (more likely refuse to believe) that its actaual meaning could be said to be a positive message.. Infinity. Just another of many symbols that soldiers put on their equipment or even their own body to inspire the idea they would 'live forever', or at least through the next battle.


tell me about :roll: Many cultures had a Swastika and it represented something different in each so it actually has more meanings than just infinity and most of them are positive, like prosperity and friendship.

but thanks to our friends the Nazis, the Swastika is now an unredeemable symbol of evil and even a lot of historians first think "Nazis" when they see elsewhere, its a (insert expletive) meme. which just goes to show that you don't touch the Jews :twisted:

Jack007 wrote:However I keep thinking, if I do get them just to paint or even come up with my own Robot - Mecha, perhaps more modern War of the Worlds game, I have GOT to get some of those damn skulls and other such inconic images OFF, I just cant take it any more. :?


My planned answer to the whole giant robot thing for my growing space pirate army is to buy 1/48 scale anime mecha off ebay or some place else and for most of the other vehicles I was thinking mostly robogear models with whatever else I can get off ebay for cheap ;)

the big GW attractions for me as a kid were the space marine infantry, elder jet bikes* and dark elder sail barges.

anyways wasn't this thread about cultists? :lol:


* (I finally broke down and got a gang of used jetbikes on ebay)
bvandewalker
Captain
 
Posts: 862
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 15:31

Previous

Return to Future Products

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests