Far future irregulars.

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Far future irregulars.

Postby bvandewalker » 06 Nov 2014, 20:30

1classybadger wrote:was thinking the other way around byron. also the diffrence is on the order of 51%-49% and whats to say that it won't reverse due to genetic advances?

The fact that women have political rights now and that they may decide to limit the number of males in future since gender can be picked. :twisted:
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 06 Nov 2014, 23:28

not really, we still have a lot of cultures that emphasize the male offspring more, and lets be honest here they make up about 50% or more of the human populace. but lets put that aside, and get back to the topic of plastic minis. I still think a 60% male 40% female is the right mix, plus good armor should obsucre not highlight gender
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 07 Nov 2014, 02:37

1classybadger wrote:not really, we still have a lot of cultures that emphasize the male offspring more, and lets be honest here they make up about 50% or more of the human populace. but lets put that aside, and get back to the topic of plastic minis. I still think a 60% male 40% female is the right mix, plus good armor should obsucre not highlight gender

Perhaps, but the majority of those cultures are either in under educated third world backwaters or have damned themselves with one child a family garbage (except the Mormons who have other issues), and outside influences everywhere are pushing female education and equality on all such cultures (including the Mormons :twisted: ). With female education and equality comes an end to "emphasize on the male offspring" since males really only exist for breeding purposes. In essence the world as we know it is being dragged kicking and screaming towards the Amazonian Tyranny, soon we will all be taken to concentration camps to be sorted and than "harvested" accordingly (well, except Daisy and those of you who are actually female), its all over for us and males everywhere. :( :lol:

All joking aside, the "emphasize on the male offspring" really is going away for above reasons (outside influences everywhere are pushing female education and equality on all such cultures, heck, we even see it on this forum badger) and from a purely genetic point of view spacers (as in people born in space) will probably be 70 to 90% female because the Y chromosome is extremely fragile, and I am willing to bet that most far future irregulars would be spacers.

As to armor, it really depends on what you are going for. In a universe of slug guns your vision of practical body concealing armor has a lot of merit, however in a universe where heat rays and lasers are the norm the armor would probably be lighter and more for environmental protection (meaning you can do what you want with it appearance wise) also aesthetics may come into play as well for some groups of mercs (look at the landskencts).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 07 Nov 2014, 09:19

let us leave aside the dark reality of our world for now mr. Walker and get to the topic that really matters, the minis! personaly I prefer the slug thrower future, afterall a mechanically based firearm will fire in almost any condition (just look at the AK-47 or the M-416) and if you are a colonist on a hellish back water, you'd probably want something relaiable and tested. not that directed energy weapons don't have their place in sci-fi, maybe as a squad suppourt weapon. they would be more expensive than slug throwers too. one would also thing that if they had developed directed energy weapons they would have armor to counteract it. probably heavy ablative plating that gets boiled away with a hit

but thats just me.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 09 Nov 2014, 14:57

1classybadger wrote:as unlikely as this kit is to happen, I still find great inspiration on the net

I am safe in assuming we want less like this?

Ironically *Badger, I tend to think that 'that' particular look, will be far more Likely to be in the near future than it is Unlikely. Even if only in the militaries evolutionary process.

A few years ago I was acutally a bit shocked when I saw the then 'new' US issue helmet. Though it lacked(s) the 'upturned' edge of the WWII german style helmet, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw what our, the US military, now wear as the standard issue helmet.
While I still think the modified 'bucket' helmet of the US troops used from WW II to Vietnam, that was the basis for and used in Alien 2 looked great, it has to be said the german version, was more practicle. i.e. more form fitting, there by less chance of 'bouncing around', shifting and getting into the eyes of the wearer.

I think though HIGHLY unlikely, as in "aint gonna happen" as we say in the south, the one thing that would truely have made the Shock Troopers, which still look great, dispite being Heroic rather than True 28's (personal opinion there folks), would have been the inclusion of at least a couple of female torso's.
Lets face it, until mankind (God forbid but Im sure) reaches the "Anime" bulky one man walking heavy battlesuits (Not Robo or Battletech-ish), body armor for the field soldier HAS to be molded to the form of the body its going to be worn by. Granted not individually, but even throughout history, while all soldiers were generally 'men' and all men wore pants, not all wore the exact 'one-size fits-all'.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 09 Nov 2014, 16:00

the internal padding of the armor would need to be changed around, but the externals would look the same

if the armor is tight enough to show the gender of the wearer, its not thick enough to do its job
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 10 Nov 2014, 00:29

Badger

Thanks for the comparison pics, those give great perspective. And I totally agree with the comment that if its not some what bulky, its not going to do its job.

'Once' we reach the tech level of actually producing Battlesuits, I think this will be one of the early stages of 'heavy support suits. Within something like this.. male / female would have little meaning. It would come down to the soldier and their training.
Attachments
Battlesuit.jpg
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 10 Nov 2014, 00:48

a picture is worth a thousand words. but the irregulars shouldn't be in battle suits or super advanced power armor. save that for the regular army, these guys should have tech from the generation before power armor gets issued en masse. slug throwers and simple ablative plating.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Strawhat » 14 Nov 2014, 22:16

bvandewalker wrote:Well, at this point the only way I see WGF making anymore sci-fi foot troops in the immediate future (like next year) is if they turn pirate and buy out some other company like Defiance games for the molds and prototypes (although that is probably a hornets nest/landmine legally, not mention the cost of just buying them) or merge with some other company with finances (and probably change beyond recognition/lose control).

Or just buy their assets when they go into bankruptcy liquidation. Even if the 3D files are garbage, if there are enough complete parts it might be possible to do some laser-scanning and touch-ups and get a quick turnaround.

I have to admit, though, that I'm pretty much out of the market for what would be there (powered armor, light infantry, "bug" aliens, heavy infantry, the walker). Although keenly interested at one point in time that was because there wasn't an option for "official" miniatures. That situation has since changed.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Jack007 » 16 Nov 2014, 03:03

1classybadger wrote: the irregulars shouldn't be in battle suits.. these guys should have tech from the generation before power armor..
Thanks Badger,
I dont know what I was thinking posting that "here". Having a"no focus" moment.. thats lasted all week it seems.

I had the "NEAR Future Marines" in my head when I found that and did that post.
Jack007
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products