WW1

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

WW1

Postby Butty » 13 Jun 2014, 10:38

This is something that is growing in interest over here in Europe with this August seeing the centenary of the start of what is also known as the Great War with significant events planned through to 2018. It is bound to be popular with the wargaming fraternity and gives you guys a couple of years to prepare for your entry with the increased interest that can be generated on your side of the "pond" .

Again it can provide you with an opportunity similar to the AWI marketing plan where you can promote the interest by the way you market the product and a good selection of boxes could be available. Simply 1 each or Americans, French, German and British (thats 4) and even an artillery/heavy weapons set for each with say 1 artillery piece a couple of HMG's and associated crews (another 4). You could even branch out into vehicles, Tanks say two Renault ft's or 1 of the larger ones in a box. at least another 4.

What do you guys think?
Sempre nella merda, solo la profondità varia.
Butty
Chief

Re: WW1

Postby 1classybadger » 13 Jun 2014, 10:50

while personally I would not be intrested in playing out ww1 in wargames, I do see quite a lot of intrest in it. the main problem I can see is the terrain, not many gamestores have the requisite amount of trench pieces to properly play out the iconic battlefield. now I am aware that there was more to the great war than trench fighting, but you have to remeber that the average consumer is not as well educated in the nuances of the tactics and battles of the first world war.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Butty » 13 Jun 2014, 11:07

1classybadger wrote:while personally I would not be intrested in playing out ww1 in wargames, I do see quite a lot of intrest in it. the main problem I can see is the terrain, not many gamestores have the requisite amount of trench pieces to properly play out the iconic battlefield. now I am aware that there was more to the great war than trench fighting, but you have to remeber that the average consumer is not as well educated in the nuances of the tactics and battles of the first world war.

There are several companies over here that produce the terrain and there are plenty of rules out there, in fact Wargames Illustrated have done a round up of the rules and I would be happy to provide links to scenery suppliers.

As for the nuances, I don't believe the "average Consumer" expects to buy a box of figures and have a game that fits the period. We all do a certain amount of research, some just enough to fit our own preconceived ideas and others a whole lot more. There are some excellent books out there Lorenz Books and Osprey to name two publishers, and the period can offer everything from the Massed Trench Battles to skirmish games in locations as far apart as Europe, Balkans, Arabia and Africa.
Butty
Chief

Postby Mac » 13 Jun 2014, 12:36

Belleau Wood comes to mind. . .
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby Lonnie » 13 Jun 2014, 13:25

I think the 4-boxes are a pretty good idea but what about the Russians? Also, there was some pretty distinct variations in uniforms/helmets from war's beginning to end, if I'm not mistaken. Artillery? No. Not unless we were making 15mm (and we're not making 15mm WWI). Mortars and HMG's, yes. Tanks? Probably.

However ('cause there's always a 'however') I was under the impression that other companies were taking on WWI in plastic and frankly, I'd rather concentrate our efforts on our Apocalypse ranges than divert our limited resources.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Butty » 13 Jun 2014, 13:35

I only know of one that is currently looking at the period and that is not certain. I think it was Warlord Games that did show a small selection of British figures a while ago and then removed them from the website not to be seen since. It was either them or Vitrix Miniatures but neither site shows any further activity in that area at present as they are concentrating in other areas.
Butty
Chief

Postby mrinku » 13 Jun 2014, 15:42

Victrix are working on them, but only announced that a couple of months ago. The 3D model masters they showed were definitely works in progress, so I think it's more a case of the project being in the stage where there's not actually much to show.

British, French, German and Russians would be my first four, with Turks, Austrians and Italians as a second wave (and in that order). Yanks are not even on the table until very late war. Some engineers ended up fighting at Cambrai in Nov-Dec 1917, but the first campaign proper with American combat troops engaged was the Somme defensive in March 1918.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 14 Jun 2014, 01:14

Lonnie wrote:I think the 4-boxes are a pretty good idea but what about the Russians? Also, there was some pretty distinct variations in uniforms/helmets from war's beginning to end, if I'm not mistaken. Artillery? No. Not unless we were making 15mm (and we're not making 15mm WWI). Mortars and HMG's, yes. Tanks? Probably.

However ('cause there's always a 'however') I was under the impression that other companies were taking on WWI in plastic and frankly, I'd rather concentrate our efforts on our Apocalypse ranges than divert our limited resources.

I would suggest (1) the battles of 1918 on the Western Front as a starting point of focus, as (2) beginning with the Kaiserschlact/Operation Michael until the Armistice the fighting became increasingly fluid, (3) all the latest technology of war was in widespread enough use including light automatic weapons in all the major combatant forces, (4) 28mm figures are idea for playing out skirmish battles at the tactical level which is (5) where a great deal of the action was to be found in 1918 especially when the Stosstruppen were on the attack and later as was already pointed out the U.S. Marines in Belleau Wood along with the doughboys in the Meuse-Argonne offensives.

German stosstruppen, British infantry, AEF doughboys, and French infantry would be ideal IMHO, with each set containing a light automatic weapon (Lewis for the British and German stosstruppen, Chauchat for the French and Americans), grenades, MP18 for the Germans, flamethrowers for the Germans and French, perhaps a Stokes-Brandt mortar for the British or a Vickers machine gun, plus the appropriate rifles, entrenching tools, etc. Troops should be in assault order, which means lighter kit so less 3D design sculpting time and effort I suspect (and faster painting time for the end users). Heavy machine guns would be a must of the line takes off in earnest. This would mean the Vickers for the British if they don't have one in their initial set, the Spandau for the Germans, and the Hotchkiss M1914 for the French and Americans.

In 1918 the Allies would have the French Renault FT-17 and British Whippet Medium A in service in growing numbers. A British heavy tank would make for a spectacular kit in 28mm hard plastic. The Germans would counter these with the T-gewehr 13mm anti-tank rifle and bundled grenades, and the very first dedicated anti-tank gun:

French and American forces would have access to the 37mm 18SA trench gun. The light mortar would be in service in all four of these armies.
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 14 Jun 2014, 05:24

I concede that a light field gun for use in anti-tank role would be appropriate. If we did tanks, I'd have the first tank be the Renault FT char d'assaut Light Tank (with a figure of George S. Patton riding on the back as an option) 'cause I'm an American and, everyone knows, we won the war. :twisted:
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Butty » 14 Jun 2014, 06:01

Lonnie wrote:I concede that a light field gun for use in anti-tank role would be appropriate. If we did tanks, I'd have the first tank be the Renault FT char d'assaut Light Tank (with a figure of George S. Patton riding on the back as an option) 'cause I'm an American and, everyone knows, we won the war. :twisted:

You have been watching too many movies Lonnie, :lol: :lol:
Butty
Chief

Next

Return to Future Products