Vietnam war

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Vietnam war

Postby robbie038 » 27 Aug 2014, 14:46

This would consist of 6 sets verhicles not counted.

A us army\marines set : 25 soldiers including options to convert them in Spec. Force. and a command section.
A us army\marines support set: 3-4 support weapons & crew incl.M-2 Machinegun, 81mm mortars , 105mm recoilles rifles.
A us army\marines heavy weapon set: 2 either 75 or 105mm guns

A VC\NVA Set: 25-30 NVA\VC Soldiers with options to convert them into Sappers and with a command section.
A VC\NVA Support Weapon set: As for the Amerincans but with russian stuff
A VC \NVA Heavy weapons: 2 guns 120mm fieldguns or 120mm mortar

as for verhicles they could include UH-1 HUEYS , PBR'S OR M113' versions
robbie038
Crewman

Re: Vietnam war

Postby 1classybadger » 27 Aug 2014, 18:53

time for me to put on my devils advocate hat for a bit, but before that let me say that I'd like to see this line, maybe add some company HQ to the artillery set.

Devils advocate hat/on I think this one falls really close to home for a lot of people, either they, their father or grandfather fought in this conflict and it does still poke into some deep wounds in the american psyche. Devils advocate hat/off
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 27 Aug 2014, 19:14

I think robbie038 might be on to something. I'd love to do this era myself but, I'm only one of the 3 members of the design team so... Maybe as a kick starter along with an M113 and a jeep. Perhaps even a helicopter. In order to keep it down to 1-sprue/kit on the infantry I'd lower the soldiers to maybe 18/box that way we could get on the majority of the options we'd like, and I'd base the soldiers off of Full Metal Jacket and/or Platoon (with a small nod to Tropic Thunder).
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby wilkie » 27 Aug 2014, 21:08

Smart money says the M113 sells like hotcakes. The same sort of Warhammer 40K dollars that bought up those greatcoats would snap up the M113, along with folks like myself who could use them for everything from Vietnam to zombie apocalypse depending on how we kit the thing out. The last time I played in a game with one was in a "Siege of Whacko Taxes" where a group of toxic mutants and anthropomorphic animals and animated pine trees held the Alamo against an evil imperial army of Flintloque minis. Good times, man. good times. The M113 is great for everything.

I've used the WGF WWII Americans for a Vietnam War squad, stealing gear from other manufacturers. They look ok... though I couldn't find an M-60 and my "M-79" that I constructed just doesn't look very good. It would be nice to try again without having to cobble my figures together from a pile of spare sprues, so I'm in.
wilkie
Cadet

Postby bvandewalker » 27 Aug 2014, 22:54

I don't think it is as stinging as it used to be, but if WGF doesn't do Vietnam, can it do the "Soviet Union vs. Peoples Republic of China" War that occurred a bit later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Sovie ... r_conflict

than there was the Sino-Indian war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

I would love to see these wars get some minis and I am willing to bet that you can play them using the Vietnam era skirmish rules. :D
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby the eponymous m » 28 Aug 2014, 00:51

If kept fairly generic (perhaps limiting the number of flak vests over t-shirts), they could also double for various NATO forces throughout the 70s and 80s as lots of European armies used the M1 pot with uniforms not dissimilar to the M69 gear. Plus the Israelis during the Six Day War wore gear that was not dissimilar and numerous "modern" militias are making use of Vietnam era surplus gear. Hell, mix in some bits from the WW2 sprues and you have US forces in Korea!

Echoing Wilkies' comments about the wider community, I imagine there will be more than a few 40k gamers the may consider them alternatives to the existing Catachan Jungle Fighters, albeit more affordable and without looking like Mr Universe contestants.

From a purely sculpting point of view; the M1 helmets from the WW2 American sprue could be recycled as could the M16s from the Survivors box.
the eponymous m

Postby robbie038 » 28 Aug 2014, 14:10

I like the ideas so far.

for the US / USMC infantry: m14,m16 ,claymores, radio, boony hat's, m60, helmet's, a hand giving signals.
for the VC/ NVA infantry: madsen mp, sks, ak47,moisin, dragatayev, dragunov, grease guns,
robbie038
Crewman

Postby Lord_Bryon » 28 Aug 2014, 14:41

put me down for a fleet of M113's
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 28 Aug 2014, 18:32

Robbie038:
US Troops - M16A1 w/20-round mags (alternate M14), M60 GPMG - belt fed, M-72 LAW, M-79 40mm Grenade Launcher as the main weapons for the basic rifle squad.
VC/NVA Troops - a mix of AK-47 and Chicom Type-56 (alternate SKS), RPD GPMG, MAT49 SMG, PPSh-41 SMG, RPG-7 as the main weapons for the basic rifle squad.

I'd also include a radio for the US Troops, a pistol for an officer, possibly a shotgun in the mix, and have about 1/2 with flak vests. They'd be kitted out, more or less, like the Marines from Full Metal Jacket. I'd have to do more research on the NVA/VC especially to get them down.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby robbie038 » 29 Aug 2014, 01:42

I saw a documentary about the L.R.R.P'S recently , and since these where small unit I was thinking to convert a few in to a patrol thats why I would like the boony hat's. so that we can have our LRRPS and Marine recons
as for the rest I agree fully
robbie038
Crewman

Next

Return to Future Products