Vietnam war

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Vietnam war

Postby bvandewalker » 07 May 2015, 19:59

Mother Russia : "Stupid America, always wasting money on new uniforms when all one really need do is to patch up the old ones. Gets more mileage out of your pants my children." :P ;)

Now that we know where are trillion dollar debt came from, I think our boys have actually changed BDUs twice, at least, within my short lifetime :lol: . (post Soviet era).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 08 May 2015, 00:30

I know they just did another major BDU change from the ACU cams. however, russia has a history of fighting with last generation tech
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 08 May 2015, 02:09

While the Russians may not change their BDUs as much as USA (quit frankly I would put it more down to most of the US branches being fashion victims over any practical reason except for the marines), tech wise they have updated quit a bit since the Soviet Union (and they where updating all through out the Soviet era for that matter).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 08 May 2015, 13:56

its more the shifting arenas of battle and ACU cams suuuuuucked
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 08 May 2015, 20:02

Yeah true:

But why does the navy and Coast guard even need camo uniforms in the first place, let alone change them every time I look around (although I think the coast guard might be less guilty of this than the Navy :lol: ):

they may as well be dressed like these North Koreans:

And don't even get me started on number times the ceremonial uniforms for the army have been changed (except for the marines). :lol:

All silliness aside, I am fairly sure that when the Army buys in BDU (battle dress uniforms), they buy them in bulk for all possible combat environments (at least that is what it looks like whenever I walk into a surplus store ;) ). So a new theater shouldn't be a real issue.

To be honest I think it might be wise to go back to a non camo uniform given that our troops have basically become cops and convoy guards for the most part, and only use the camos for surprise attack missions that require stealth.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby mrinku » 09 May 2015, 01:27

Sounds like too much budget to me. AFAIK Australian Defense Force just has the one camo that was designed in the 80's.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 09 May 2015, 15:13

bvandewalker wrote:But why does the navy and Coast guard even need camo uniforms in the first place, let alone change them every time I look around (although I think the coast guard might be less guilty of this than the Navy :lol: ):

I could not agree MORE.. Camo, for the Navy? Seriously? Did some Washington bean counter think:
"OMG, what if a sailor falls over board, a shark or a big fishy thing might see him. He Needs Camouflage!"
Yea, that way if some poor guy/ gal does go over board, No One Can find him, not even their own shipmates. Nice thinking desk jocky.

As you mentioned (once again) we're becoming the cops of the world, this 'blue-ish' camo, looks like it was made for use by police officers, than for the military.

And regarding the Army 'couch' Camo (thats just too funny) Id say its perfect for the guy that wants to get out of going shopping with the Mrs, or hiding from the kids.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby TheInsane » 09 May 2015, 17:34

Jack007 wrote:
bvandewalker wrote:But why does the navy and Coast guard even need camo uniforms in the first place, let alone change them every time I look around (although I think the coast guard might be less guilty of this than the Navy :lol: ):

I could not agree MORE.. Camo, for the Navy? Seriously? Did some Washington bean counter think:
"OMG, what if a sailor falls over board, a shark or a big fishy thing might see him. He Needs Camouflage!"
Yea, that way if some poor guy/ gal does go over board, No One Can find him, not even their own shipmates. Nice thinking desk jocky.

As you mentioned (once again) we're becoming the cops of the world, this 'blue-ish' camo, looks like it was made for use by police officers, than for the military.

And regarding the Army 'couch' Camo (thats just too funny) Id say its perfect for the guy that wants to get out of going shopping with the Mrs, or hiding from the kids.

Actually, that was my thought when I first saw the NWU I... 'You're on a ship, you're not going to hide the whole damned ship... and that low profile stuff is only going to hide you in the water... where you don't want to be...' Seabees get the NWU III, though. NWU III are a tactical digi pattern... which is actually useful, and pretty effective... because we're Dirt Squids.
TheInsane
Crewman

Postby 1classybadger » 09 May 2015, 23:21

what I heard from a GM of mine who was a mechanic, who said that and I'm paraphrasing it. "it hides oil stains"
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 10 May 2015, 02:34

By "paraphrasing" do you mean there was a long blue streak that you cannot repeat here (sailors have a rep to keep :twisted: ), or do mean there was actually a really good technical explanation :lol: . (for real though, I am guessing he probably told a story about it hiding oil stains).

To be honest the navy should probably wear orange or some other bright colored uniforms, and if oil stain are a problem have random black blotches on it. But at least our sailors aren't dressed like this:

bvandewalker
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products