Greek Cavalry

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Greek Cavalry

Postby wmyers » 26 Oct 2014, 12:38

I would love to see Greek cavalry sets to expand the Greek range.

Not only that, they would be the only, to my knowledge, plastic Greek cavalry by any manufacturer in 28mm scale.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Re: Greek Cavalry

Postby Lord_Bryon » 27 Oct 2014, 08:08

I would buy some.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby 1classybadger » 27 Oct 2014, 16:49

to my (admitedly slim) knowledge wherent the greeks very chariot/ light cavalry heavy?
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Lord_Bryon » 28 Oct 2014, 07:51

1classybadger wrote:to my (admitedly slim) knowledge wherent the greeks very chariot/ light cavalry heavy?

This is my understanding as well, Greek chariots would be sweet.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 28 Oct 2014, 14:47

Classical Greeks, of the time we're representing, did not use chariots (someone correct me if I'm wrong). In the 14th and 15th centuries BC, sure. By the time of the Hoplite phalanx in the 4th and 5th centuries BC, no. The Classical Greek army was heavy infantry based with very little in the way of cavalry (for the most part) with some slingers, archers and/or peltast skirmishing troops.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 28 Oct 2014, 17:11

In the reading I have done (limited) on the period of earlier ancient Greece, I found little reference to cavalry. I. E. at Marathon, they were using runners to send word back to Athen's of their victory (Niki!).

I would say if there are two things a commander wants, more so needs to get as soon as possible; First its information on the strengths and location of the enemy and second, when and if your reenforcements are going to arrive.
Point being; If cavalry were a major part of these armies of Greece, I would think, first and foremost, it would have been in the way of scouts.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 28 Oct 2014, 17:59

the terrian of greece does not lend itself to cavalry action during battle. and, at least to my mind, when tabletop gaming, the battles taking place are after the scouts have gotten back.

however macedonian cavalry could be a good set
1classybadger
Commander

Postby robbie038 » 29 Oct 2014, 06:07

Cavalry was used by the Macedonians , and by some of the bigger citystates like Athens . most of the battles where fought on plains this enabled the use of cavalry . most of these horseman came from thessaly or thrace . elite heavy cavalry where used as shocktroops like the companion cavalry of Alexander.
the where scout cavalry so called Prodromoi, in essance light unarmored cavalry.
robbie038
Crewman

Postby bvandewalker » 05 Nov 2014, 23:27

According to a series western civ dvds I watched, the real cavalry heavy armies at the time were the barbarian (aka non Greeks) forces, particularly the Scythian tribes who where noted mounted archers. (note: the amazons are historically Scythians, so if you ever redo them take that into account)
Last edited by bvandewalker on 02 Apr 2015, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby broadsword » 02 Apr 2015, 05:17

The initial Spartan invasion of Attica that kicked off the Greek Tragedy of the Peloponnesian War was plagued by the inadequacy of Spartan cavalry, and the superiority of the Athenian cavalry. Later on, the Athenians would forget their own rules and invaded Syracuse with insufficient supporting cavalry, and they got mauled.
broadsword

Return to Future Products