Public Domain works for minis.

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Public Domain works for minis.

Postby bvandewalker » 01 Feb 2015, 19:23

Public Domain works are (for the most part) novels and short stories written a hundred or more years ago, the most famous being the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Doyle also did a not as will known action adventure Novel set during the Hundred years war called "The White Company" which is perfect for war gaming. There are other writers who's works are Public Domain such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Sir Walter Scott. So there are quit a few Public Domain works out there worth looking at for set ideas like The White Company, 20,000 leagues under the sea, The Black Arrow.
There are also Non-English authors who have Public Domain works from which to steal from, but don't know as much about them. :lol:

So any thoughts.
bvandewalker
Captain

Re: Public Domain works for minis.

Postby Strawhat » 02 Feb 2015, 20:04

Lovecraft.

Almost all of his works are public domain. There are some collaborations that are, I believe, still covered under his partners' estates, but even some of those are clear.

I think the real difficulty will be finding enough well-known IPs that are suitable for gaming.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Agamemnon » 04 Feb 2015, 22:30

My understanding is that Robert E. Howard's Conan is public domain. So too anything from Jules Verne or Rudyard Kipling.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby Strawhat » 04 Feb 2015, 22:50

It looks like Howard's works are a bit of a mess--at least as far as US rights go. Paradox Entertainment claims that they have Conan, so there would be some research needed and possibly even litigation to settle things.

I could see a line of barbarian-inspired miniatures doing reasonably well, even though my heart calls for the Lovecraftian creations (although I've heard tell that the two things intertwine in places).
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Lord_Bryon » 05 Feb 2015, 07:12

I love barbarians. But I'd like some Deep one models as well.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 17 Feb 2015, 15:32

personally I was thinking more historical fiction character sets for the middle ages (Black Arrow, the White Company) and maybe a little Vern with Nemo's crew, but how about OZ?
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Strawhat » 17 Feb 2015, 22:49

A boxed set of flying monkeys? :-D

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the others, and not at all versed in the further works of OZ
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby bvandewalker » 17 Feb 2015, 23:59

Strawhat wrote:A boxed set of flying monkeys? :-D

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the others, and not at all versed in the further works of OZ

:lol: There is a war game that has a flying monkey horde, so that would be the logical chose I suppose, but there are quit a few other armies and critters in the OZ verse, including: the evil gnome king's army, the forces of china town and other townships, Ginger's army of female liberation (they were armed with knitting needles but you could fanfic it up a little and give them rifles or medieval weapons), OZ's army of officers, and those are just the ones I can put names to there are just tons of armies and potential armies in the books.

One could easily do a mass combat game in the OZ verse with the only problem (which may not be a problem if you play your cards right) being that OZ is a soft fantasy setting where people can't die regardless of what happens to them (in other words it would be the perfect setting for a mass combat game for kids vs. parents game night). OZ wouldn't be my first chose for set idea (You all heard what those where ;) ) but it is a setting I would consider doing if I had a malleable rule set and investment money.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 18 Feb 2015, 10:12

for gingers army, rifles that fire knitting needles
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Rick » 22 Mar 2015, 10:05

1classybadger wrote:for gingers army, rifles that fire knitting needles

or electric bolts that shoot out of the needles when rubbed together, or they could be like Black Widow from the avengers.
Rick
Chief

Next

Return to Future Products