Powered Armor Suit

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: Powered Armor Suit

Postby Lord_Bryon » 26 May 2015, 07:45

Powered Armor like Leland proposes would probably get me into sci-fi gaming in 28mm. I generally limit my Sci-fi gaming to Battletech and sometimes a Star Wars RPG.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 28 May 2015, 17:15

bvandewalker wrote:I think that it is out of fear that anymore Alien Sun products would compete with the more premium Dream forge products, most of which look a lot like what you and badger keep posting pics of for your space opera ideas (except for the Helmets of course). ;)

No, actually, they don't, as the DF figures are neither as physically bulky as the Heinlein-esque "ape" suit I've been persisting in proposing, with the added features of the DF figures following a decidedly Jin-Roh/Space Wehrmacht theme with some added gothic knight touches thrown in... :|

bvandewalker wrote:Actually Leland there already is a fairly inexpensive set of power suites out there (with no skulls and no Teutonic pride) that has been around for years and have even swapped ownership few time over the years, they are static poses and not as good as something WGF could do (particularly in the customization area) so the detail oriented might not care for them as much, but they do fill the roll they were made for well enough and they probably would work well with the shocktroopers. But I don't want Paul to be offend anymore than I already have so that is all I am telling you here on this forum. :twisted: :P

Those are Space Rangers. I own a platoon's worth in fact:

Sadly, they are limited due to their style and structuring of the parts... :cry:

bvandewalker wrote:On a slightly different note, I have actually read a fairly good/okay novel series once about a power armor trooper who got stuck in cryo sleep for years with the debriefing tape rerunning the whole time, so when the guy finally woke up he had mental maturity and combat experience of a forty year old (with all PTSD that entails), oh and he developed psychic bond with the swet eating alien that had been planted in his suit. Unfortunately it had an incredibly generic name like "the last imperial knight" or something like that.

Sounds like more than one tale I've read over the past 40-odd years now, but if you happen to remember the name, let us know, as I for one won't turn up my nose at a good yarn... 8-)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 01 Jun 2015, 04:19

Glad to see you already know about them. :lol: they aren't real customization friendly same goes for their companion sets, but for my purposes they work. :)

Next time I go to my local library I'll look up the book and Author name. ;)

Not all of it looks Heinlein to me, these two pic for example:

Luoshangzhi wrote:

they look like the DF shocktroopers with a different head swap, which I think is the same problem for all the armored Sci-Fi shooty proposal. As to Heinlein style power armor, well..... lawsuit happy lawyers may be the problem there.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby mrinku » 01 Jun 2015, 14:38

Heinlein didn't invent the concept of the armoured space suit, or space marines. I doubt any legal action would be pending, unless you were silly enough to market them as "Robert A Heinlein's Mobile Infantry" or "Starship Troopers". There are no images associated with his copyrights.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 06 Jun 2015, 00:37

mrinku wrote:Heinlein didn't invent the concept of the armoured space suit, or space marines. I doubt any legal action would be pending, unless you were silly enough to market them as "Robert A Heinlein's Mobile Infantry" or "Starship Troopers". There are no images associated with his copyrights.

This. Right here. Mrinku, you may rest assured that I already did my homework literally years ago when WF first launched the Liberty & Union League under the original management (hence "Generic Powered Armor Suit")... 8-) Heinlein is my creative inspiration and stylistic foci of this proposal, as no one actually makes anything like this in a modular format in hard plastic despite the fact that it is IMHO so damn obvious that gamers would eat up such a figure set like salted peanuts! :?
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Luoshangzhi » 06 Jun 2015, 00:40

bvandewalker wrote:
Not all of it looks Heinlein to me, these two pic for example:

they look like the DF shocktroopers with a different head swap, which I think is the same problem for all the armored Sci-Fi shooty proposal. As to Heinlein style power armor, well..... lawsuit happy lawyers may be the problem there.

I included them -Imperial Marines from the Traveller universe- because they showed off the *resilience* of powered armor as Heinlein envisioned it, and why its a very bad thing for light infantry to find themselves confronting a powered armor suited Marine with nothing but small arms in their hands! :twisted:
Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 06 Jun 2015, 16:51

Traveller Battledress is *totally* the MI suit described by Heinlein. Regardless of what you may think about the visual design of the suits, it's a direct swipe in game terms. Weapons loadouts are about the only differences, but there's no reason an Imperial Marine couldn't carry tac nukes and flamers - they just typically carry fusion guns.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 06 Jun 2015, 19:29

mrinku wrote:Traveller Battledress is *totally* the MI suit described by Heinlein. Regardless of what you may think about the visual design of the suits, it's a direct swipe in game terms. Weapons loadouts are about the only differences, but there's no reason an Imperial Marine couldn't carry tac nukes and flamers - they just typically carry fusion guns.

EVERYBODY was cribbing Heinlein when it came to powered armor suits before Warhamster 40,000 came along:

https://bayhammer.files.wordpress.com/2 ... c_0659.jpg

If you want a history lesson on the origins of sci-fi miniature wargaming in America, here's the podcast of Bayhammer Radio interviewing me on that very subject and other related mischief for your amusement:

http://bayhammerradio.com/2015/04/30/bu ... eres-more/

Having played Traveller waaay back in the day when it was first published I can attest to the heinousness of Battle Dress and PGMPs and FGMPs in the hands of high school brats... :lol:
Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Luoshangzhi » 06 Jun 2015, 19:47

Lord_Bryon wrote:Powered Armor like Leland proposes would probably get me into sci-fi gaming in 28mm. I generally limit my Sci-fi gaming to Battletech and sometimes a Star Wars RPG.

Byron,

you may recall that aeons ago on the original WF Forum I broke down why I would eventually be collecting and painting up circa *100* powered armor figures of the type I've been so persistently lobbying WF to produce for so long to demonstrate that these are not figures that people are going to necessarily stop buying after just one (1) box.

If each box allows one to build say 12 figures fully kitted out, then a platoon of say three squads of three troopers each plus a platoon leader, a platoon sergeant, and a scout (12 total figures) is going to motivate me to buy multiple boxes to field a platoon suitable for any environment. My own plan breaks down as follows:

1) Temperate camo spec finish (ie., greens, some dark browns or tans).

2) Urban camo spec (ie., disruptive greys, blacks, off white, brick reds, etc.)

3) Desert (ie., sand color overall with perhaps some disruptive thin, wavy lines in a darker sand yellow)

4) Arctic/Taiga (ie., overall white with perhaps very thin dark pine green "foliage" pattern)

5) Stock Fleet finish/Zero-G ops (ie., dark grey overall with disruptive near-black cubist pattern)

6) Rainforest (ie., brighter greens, perhaps some "exotic" alien flora colors depending upon the environment)

7) Martian (ie., red oxide overall with perhaps some black and dark grey "ejecta" blotches)

8) Polished steel (ie., retro tribute to Heinlein)

12 x 8 = 96 powered armor figures.

Further, if you think I'm going to settle for hitting you with just one (1) platoon, you're crazy, so double the numbers, and you can see where I for one would head in my purchases of these figures assuming WF ever comes to their damned senses and recognizes that this is a subject no one has done in this manner in hard plastic in 28mm, yet if the original L&UL proposal breaking *200%* was any indicator in the matter, these will sell very well once the word got out they were available. 8-)

Seriously. This is just crazy! I offered this entire idea in gratis to WF, made that 110% crystal clear to the last two management teams, broke first 100% then 200% in pre-order commitment, and still no "Generic Powered Armor Suit!" Gah!!! :? :evil:
Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 07 Jun 2015, 01:25

No canary yellow ones as a tribute to Avalon Hill? :)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products