Medieval and renaissance mercenaries

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Medieval and renaissance mercenaries

Postby bvandewalker » 30 Apr 2015, 15:11

Yep, exactly as the title states. this proposal/ thread topic is all about Medieval and Renaissance mercenaries. one of the great things about mercs is you can do mixed armor for them:

To get the ball rolling I am going to talk about the Swiss arguably the most famous Mercenaries of that timeframe. the three weapons that made the Swiss famous are the pike,

the crossbow,

And their traditional weapon (read national mascot weapon) the halberd

they also used handguns as early as the SWI (so one could make a crossbow/handgunner box).
bvandewalker
Captain

Re: Medieval and renaissance mercenaries

Postby 1classybadger » 30 Apr 2015, 15:35

I am all for this, the kit can also pull double duty if one is so inclined for empire state troops,
1classybadger
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 30 Apr 2015, 16:30

This could be cool. Having a few Polearms among the bits would be great as well I think.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby TheInsane » 30 Apr 2015, 21:43

I would be all over any Swiss Mercenary boxes... By the way. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Swiss, and Germans?
TheInsane
Crewman

Postby 1classybadger » 30 Apr 2015, 21:47

the germans are flashier
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 01 May 2015, 22:35

1classybadger is basically right. The landsknechts (your Germans I assume) where exceedingly flashy in their dress whereas the Swiss tended wear simple peasant outfit, but there were other differences. Except for the pike and handgun (although I am sure one can make style of gun arguments), a stereo typical landsknecht's arsenal was a bit different from the Swiss. The zweihander sword is almost as iconic for landsknect as the pike, I believe they also used single handed sword often in conjunction with a buckler shield (I am reasonably sure on the short sword not so much on the shield), beyond that there was a fairly wide rang weapon for landsknects since they didn’t have an code or set of rules particularly like the Swiss did.

The reason I suggested Swiss first is because we can do them for one of two eras: the Swiss war of Independence (which gives WGF an excuse to do Austrian knights in addition to Swiss) or from the time when the Swiss were competing (read fighting really hard) with the landsknects for market domination (which would give WGF a chance to 1up Warlord).
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 02 May 2015, 00:57

the weaponry of the landesheckts was a catch-as can affair beyond the pike. most archteypical was the zweihander sword, ment for battering aside pike blocks and was weilded by double pay men
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 02 May 2015, 02:12

1classybadger wrote:the weaponry of the landesheckts was a catch-as can affair beyond the pike. most archteypical was the zweihander sword, ment for battering aside pike blocks and was weilded by double pay men

true, the only reason I mentioned the shorter single handed sword is that I know a landesheckt reenactor and he said the short sword (it has German name, Katzcarl or something like that) was basically the about town weapon for landesheckts normally, although he preferred the war hammer for daily urban walkabouts (he also has a wide array of "toys" including a metal beer mug that has been banned on certain renifair battle fields :lol: ) .

The swiss used zweihander early on too, but they banned the use of such swords for some reason. I am guessing the Swiss had a slightly more standardized arsenal, but not by much.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby TheInsane » 02 May 2015, 09:51

Germans are the ones who couldn't make it up the mountain. :lol:
TheInsane
Crewman

Postby TheInsane » 02 May 2015, 09:55

bvandewalker wrote:true, the only reason I mentioned the shorter single handed sword is that I know a landesheckt reenactor and he said the short sword (it has German name, Katzcarl or something like that).

Katzbalger. Translated it means Cat Skinner. Why they would call it a cat skinner, I have no clue... But, there it is.
TheInsane
Crewman

Next

Return to Future Products