15mm Crusaders and saracens??

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: 15mm Crusaders and saracens??

Postby bvandewalker » 25 Sep 2015, 18:43

1classybadger wrote:15mm is a popular scale with more space concious gamers, and I find it the ideal comprimise 28mm's details with the larger battles allowed by 6mm. however I mostly see intrest in 15mm at my store in time periods after the great war.

True, to be honest the only 15mm minis I sort of want to get at some point are the Ion Age minis and WGF WWII sets. But if there was a plastic set such as I described for a reasonable price, I would add it to that list (for those pesky 1/100 scale castles). ;)

At the moment though, as far as smaller scales (below 28mm) in general, what I would really like to see are 1/144th scale modern/future infantry that I can use with the gundam and robotech models me and my brother picked up whole sale awhile back.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 26 Sep 2015, 22:35

I think Heavy gear, and the reaper CAV lines infantry teams are in 1/144 scale
1classybadger
Commander

Postby HalberKill » 27 Sep 2015, 21:30

Actually Reaper CAV is in N scale, which is approx. 1/164, the same size as the MechWarrior clix. Though the older CAV used to be 1/200.
HalberKill
Crewman

Postby wmyers » 28 Sep 2015, 16:48

HalberKill wrote:Actually Reaper CAV is in N scale, which is approx. 1/164, the same size as the MechWarrior clix. Though the older CAV used to be 1/200.

Is there really that much of a difference between 1/144th and 1/164th? (I honestly do not know - I was thinking it might be pretty minimal considering the small size of each.)
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 29 Sep 2015, 00:53

to the gaming eye, its near enough to be the same. unless you are dealing with some serious sticklers
1classybadger
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 29 Sep 2015, 15:39

I suppose I could use reaper CAV, they are a bit too heavy on the armor for the gundam settings feel though, and while I like Heavy Gear artistically, they tend to cost an arm an a leg. :shock:

Any ways what about Rome for 15mm plastics.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 01 Oct 2015, 19:21

bvandewalker wrote:I suppose I could use reaper CAV, they are a bit too heavy on the armor for the gundam settings feel though, and while I like Heavy Gear artistically, they tend to cost an arm an a leg. :shock:

Old Glory has a lot of 15mm sets, especially for Rome. They are not plastic, but metal. They also offer 40% off all their prices with a $50 a year membership. Something well worth investing in and something that brings the price of metals down to just as cheap as plastics from WGF. (30 figures for $21.60)

Old Glory also has sets with interchanged heads moulded on and choices for weapons and hands.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby bvandewalker » 01 Oct 2015, 20:36

wmyers wrote:
bvandewalker wrote:I suppose I could use reaper CAV, they are a bit too heavy on the armor for the gundam settings feel though, and while I like Heavy Gear artistically, they tend to cost an arm an a leg. :shock:

Old Glory has a lot of 15mm sets, especially for Rome. They are not plastic, but metal. They also offer 40% off all their prices with a $50 a year membership. Something well worth investing in and something that brings the price of metals down to just as cheap as plastics from WGF. (30 figures for $21.60)

Old Glory also has sets with interchanged heads moulded on and choices for weapons and hands.

I was actually asking about Rome in plastic to keep the thread alive and get back on track, we all know that there are metal 15mm romans. I know about that membership deal, it is a good if a steady disposable income and plan on making multiple purchases over a year, but even without it old glory is one of the more reasonably priced metal mini manufactures (I believe they are stateside even).

since we are on them anyways, how do old glory "25mm" minis measure up to true scale 28mm like WGF. I am interested because I noticed they had both Japanese peasants and warrior monks as well as Han dynasty troops.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Evoker » 03 Oct 2015, 15:47

Id like to get off of metal counter parts for 15mm. Like Bvandewalker said, we all know there are 15mm metal romans. To expand on that, there is metal for pretty much every period. My point for this whole thread is to get past metal and go into plastic. I don't know where everyone else comes from and goes for gaming, or scale preference, but my argument for 15mm is I believe its the smallest scale that holds the highest level of detail. With 10mm you can field more on the table than 15mm, but the quality of the sculps goes down and the models become harder to see the smaller they get. 15's are small enough to be able to field a large army, but they are detailed enough that they don't have mush face syndrome. I would just like to see the plastic treatment for this scale. Specifically for historical, pre Napoleonic. May they be ancients, dark age, medieval, Renaissance, which ever, I just want to see the guys like me who are into 15mm be able to get their hands on plastics. I originally went with crusaders and saracens because I figured it would be a popular thing. I'm sure ancients would be more popular but early crusades would be a nice change of pace from ancients. Some of the stuff that 19th century miniatures (old glory 15's) has, like the swabian infantry "mind you those swords are pretty much like noodles", aren't the best looking models in my book. They work, but a more modern product would be nice.
Evoker

Postby wmyers » 04 Oct 2015, 00:30

bvandewalker wrote:since we are on them anyways, how do old glory "25mm" minis measure up to true scale 28mm like WGF. I am interested because I noticed they had both Japanese peasants and warrior monks as well as Han dynasty troops.

I do not have any of the Old Glory Japanese, yet, but I do have a comparison shot of the Romans.

Here are some pictures of Old Glory Roman Republican Cavalry with a WGF Roman Cavalryman for size comparison. (the head on the WGF figure is Victrix from their Roman Punic Wars series) The figure on the far left is a Warlord Games Celt cavalry figure. You will see the period horses are all of matching size.

Another showing the size of the horses.

Another size comparison of the WGF Roman cavalryman with Old Glory Roman High Command from the Caesarian range:

wmyers
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products