WW2 Support Weapons and Other Boxes

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Re: WW2 Support Weapons and Other Boxes

Postby robbie038 » 22 May 2014, 08:14

I find it a bit strange that almost no one produces gebirgsjager I would love to see them
a 120mm motar would also be verry nice
As would be some chinese which could also be used in corean scenario
robbie038
Crewman

Postby bvandewalker » 22 May 2014, 17:41

mrinku wrote:BMW with an MG34 would make a lot more sense for a sidecar kit.

Leland, by "1941" are you referring to the hexagonal "mickey mouse" turret model? There can often be some confusion on that point. That is definitely a kit that would make sense, as would the M4A3 Sherman and PzIV Ausf H.

I think a greyhound Armored car would be a bit better since they are still in use in some parts of the world.

robbie038 wrote:I find it a bit strange that almost no one produces gebirgsjager I would love to see them
a 120mm motar would also be verry nice
As would be some chinese which could also be used in corean scenario

If China is represented, I think Ming or warring state period would be a better place to start, but Manchu boxers might work.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby 1classybadger » 22 May 2014, 17:53

I think any chinese forces during WW2 could be represented with the russians. from what I recall of my history teaching it was mostly a lull in their civil war, and russians had been supplying the communist faction
1classybadger
Commander

Postby mrinku » 22 May 2014, 20:16

Both the Germans and Russians provided aid to China after the Japanese invasion in 1937, but the USA provided much more, especially from 1941 onwards. Germany had to break it off when they linked up with the Japanese, but a lot of Nationalist troops had German gear. However the Soviet aid was mostly given to the Nationalists as a means to prop up China against Japan. Aid ceased in 1941 after the USSR signed a non-aggression pact with Japan, though some aid was given later in the war after all that had been turned over.

If by "lull" you mean "Invaded by the Japanese and shifting gear to fight the common enemy", then yeah. Although Chiang Kai-shek did his damndest to position things so that his best troops were kept out of the fighting after the Americans were committed, taking the view that giving up ground was prefereable, and he'd need them after the war to fight the Communists. It was a major frustration to General Stilwell.

Soviet support for the Chinese Communist Party was always fickle. Relations were closest *after* they'd won against the Nationalists as part of overall Cold War politics.

In any case, you need WW2 Japanese troops before you start making WW2 Chinese ones :)

Commonwealth, Japanese then think about other armies. But not many others were fighting late war, or if they were had equipment and uniforms supplied by a major power (Free French in GI issue, for example). Maybe Italians, I guess.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 22 May 2014, 22:34

mrinku wrote:BMW with an MG34 would make a lot more sense for a sidecar kit.

Leland, by "1941" are you referring to the hexagonal "mickey mouse" turret model? There can often be some confusion on that point. That is definitely a kit that would make sense, as would the M4A3 Sherman and PzIV Ausf H.

Sorry to take so long in responding, I'm referring to the initial turret style that soldiered on in some units until the end of the war:

Once the T-34 Model 1941 is made, you have the basis for the later iterations including the SU-85, the SU-122, and the SU-100. ;)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Luoshangzhi » 22 May 2014, 23:04

1classybadger wrote:I think any chinese forces during WW2 could be represented with the russians. from what I recall of my history teaching it was mostly a lull in their civil war, and russians had been supplying the communist faction

Not so. The Chinese KMT wore uniforms and equipment that were for the most part anything but Russian in style or origin. Mrinku has outlined where Russian aid went, and it was overwhelmingly small arms, aircraft, and 100 T-26 Model 1933 light tanks used to equip the 200th Mechanized Division of the KMT Army.

Chinese soldiers wore indigenous uniforms, hats or caps, and often traditional Chinese footwear. The German equipped and trained divisions were mostly destroyed during the fighting for Shanghai in 1937. Steel helmets were rare items whatever their origins during WW2 in China.

Weapons were a hodgepodge of makes and models, with a bootleg copy of the Mauser KAR 98 being fairly common, with all sorts of Italian, Russian, French, Austrian, and other bolt action rifles turning up in different provinces depending upon what the local warlord army had been armed with when they were assimilated into the KMT.

Light machine guns were also quite a mix, from Danish Madsens including bootleg copies made in China to Russian supplied Degtayarevs and Belgian made licensed copies of the BAR left over from the 1930s, and even Finnish Lahti automatic rifles.

Heavy machine guns were a mix of foreign types, and even rarer than light machine guns, being often hoarded as prestige weapons rather than risked in combat.

Heavier support was most frequently in the form of mortars of the Stokes-Brandt variety in different calibre, from 81mm to 8-inch. Artillery was rare, usually of the pack howitzer or mountain gun variety, and again, hoarded by politically-ambitious generals rather than risked in combat against the Japanese.

Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby 1classybadger » 22 May 2014, 23:12

thank you for the corrections, I blame the crappy public school history coruses.
1classybadger
Commander

Postby MrChipper » 22 May 2014, 23:14

mrinku wrote:In any case, you need WW2 Japanese troops before you start making WW2 Chinese ones :)

Commonwealth, Japanese then think about other armies. But not many others were fighting late war, or if they were had equipment and uniforms supplied by a major power (Free French in GI issue, for example). Maybe Italians, I guess.

+many :)

Although support weapons for existing factions mite be a better idea to do first.
MrChipper
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 23 May 2014, 05:14

As a side note we couldn't possibly have a Chinese Rifle Platoon without giving the officer a Mauser Model 1912 (or one of the many Chinese knockoffs) or 1930. And I think we'd probably have to include a few Dadaos to make it complete.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 23 May 2014, 18:14

Lonnie wrote:As a side note we couldn't possibly have a Chinese Rifle Platoon without giving the officer a Mauser Model 1912 (or one of the many Chinese knockoffs) or 1930. And I think we'd probably have to include a few Dadaos to make it complete.

Dadaos, daos, and potato mashers, plus the Mauser pistol option = Big Sword and Dare to Die assault troops. +1000, Mr. Mullins, especially if you release Japanese infantry. 8-)

Leland R. Erickson

Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Future Products