Dark Futures set wants: Motorcycles and Horses and...

Suggest and discuss future product ideas!

Dark Futures set wants: Motorcycles and Horses and...

Postby Darsc Zacal » 08 Mar 2014, 21:58

I'd love to see a sprue of zombie fighters/survivors, as well as police, on assorted motorcycles and mounted on horses. Especially if we could have an option to make both mounted and unmounted versions of each character as well.

And Shopping carts.

Shopping carts being pushed by a running character to use as a battering ram into a crowd of zombies. Maybe with the option of having a survivor standing up in the cart heavily armed with a BFG while their buddy is pushing.

And characters whipping around on bicycles.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Re: Dark Futures set wants: Motorcycles and Horses and...

Postby Lonnie » 09 Mar 2014, 06:43

The motorcycle gang was one of my many, many submissions to the old Liberty and Union League (for those of you who remember that slice of fried gold). We will be expanding on the Dark Futures Apocalypse range in the future as it is one of our best selling ranges and who knows what we'll do?

So, with that in mind, what should we do to expand the Dark Futures Apocalypse range? Do we need only concentrate on zombies and survivors or should we expand it into other potential types of society collapsing events? Heaven and Hell perhaps? Alien invasion? Other society sundering events?

Thoughts?
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 09 Mar 2014, 12:53

I suppose you could introduce government agencies, like people in Hazmat suits, or the "men in black".

The problem is that if you go too far into the future, or start introducing aliens, then you've started to enter the realm of scifi and there's already a number of companies covering that market.

The other problem with introducing aliens is that a lot of people are going to want figures that represent the races present in whatever games they play, so you then have to look at how close you can match your product to those concepts without infringing on some bodies IP.

I suppose you could do something like what has been done with the Defiance TV and Videogame franchise, a ruined earth populated by assorted alien races and mutants... But again folks are going to be looking for minis that are recognizable as those present on the show or in whatever game system they are using.

You could go with totally unique looking creations of their own, but then are they going to have the appeal needed to create enough demand to recoup the cost needed to do the sprues for them?

That's why kickstarter is so popular within the mini industry. It's a great way to measure the interest in a project before entering production.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Sbloom » 09 Mar 2014, 12:55

Hello! First post! Dark futures is an awesome range, easily my favourite plastics on the market.

My big suggestion would be a set of 30 wasteland dweller types. Mad Max / Fallout style post apoc gaming seems quite popular now. The kit could include parts to tool people up as wasteland civilian types, scavengers, savages/mutants, and hopefully be interchangeable with the existing apocalypse survivor kits. I'd certainly buy a set.

Alternatively I wouldn't say no to an updated male zombie kit but realise that's probably not a priority!
Sbloom
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 09 Mar 2014, 13:02

Don't fixate on what you think we shouldn't do and why you think we shouldn't do it. Rather voice what you think we should do and why we should do it. Only positives on this particular thread please.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Luoshangzhi » 09 Mar 2014, 13:16

Lonnie wrote:So, with that in mind, what should we do to expand the Dark Futures Apocalypse range? Do we need only concentrate on zombies and survivors or should we expand it into other potential types of society collapsing events? Heaven and Hell perhaps? Alien invasion? Other society sundering events?

Thoughts?

"Dogs and cats, living together!" :twisted:

I say build on the zed apocalypse with sets that can be used for other purposes, with the motorcycle gang being a great next step in the process. These will have an added advantage for conversions to sci fi grav bike gangers, wasteland marauders, etc. 8-)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Darsc Zacal » 09 Mar 2014, 13:19

I thought I was advising to proceed with caution rather than being negative... But okay then...

Robots!

I would like a sprue of robots and robotic accessories.

Humanoid robots, service robots, military grade robots, alien looking robots, all in assorted sizes.

Robots that could be used in a near future setting for zombie removal or that could be used as troop support, or even an alien invasion force.

They wouldn't all have to be pristine either. Some could look battle damaged while others could be cobbled together and maintained with whatever materials were at hand.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Postby Luoshangzhi » 09 Mar 2014, 13:21

Darsc Zacal wrote:I thought I was advising to proceed with caution rather than being negative... But okay then...

Robots!

I would like a sprue of robots and robotic accessories.

Humanoid robots, service robots, military grade robots, alien looking robots, all in assorted sizes.

Robots that could be used in a near future setting for zombie removal or that could be used as troop support, or even an alien invasion force.

They wouldn't all have to be pristine either. Some could look battle damaged while others could be cobbled together and maintained with whatever materials were at hand.

Seconded for military robots. Battle damage is easy to render as a simple conversion actually, no special bits required. 8-)
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 09 Mar 2014, 18:58

So I'm sensing a "Rise of the Machines" apocalypse then, would that be correct? Something to chew over.

As for caution, don't worry about us. I've been in the industry since 1995; 1979 if you start at the time I started collecting miniatures for gaming. I do a lot of research before we go head-long into a subject matter and competition be damned if we can do it better. As far as Dark Futures goes it really isn't sci-fi proper in that we're talking living on other worlds. Consider it instead 10 to 20-years in the future...or tomorrow. After all, who knows when the aliens will land, the 7th seal will be broken, the North Koreans unleash their robot hordes (or Skynet decides in a nanosecond that we're all a threat to it) and no one can predict when hell will fill up causing the dead to walk the earth.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Darsc Zacal » 09 Mar 2014, 19:49

And drones. Don't forget drones.

With Amazon and Google both getting into the drone biz, and shows like Almost Human featuring them as well, miniatures of aerial surveillance drones are a must have and could be used with military forces as well as civilian ones like police forces or even as part of the Rise of the Machines apocalypse that you mentioned.
Darsc Zacal
Chief

Next

Return to Future Products