28mm Plastic WW2 Tank Kits from Rubicon!

General news regarding Wargaming. Discuss any up coming events and conventions, great rules sets etc.

Re: 28mm Plastic WW2 Tank Kits from Rubicon!

Postby Strawhat » 05 Feb 2015, 20:37

Rubicon certainly has grand ideas!

They're working on stowage, more tanks, half-tracks, and even some modular buildings!

I just need WGF to release their resculpted zombies, and then I can start acquiring other things...
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Luoshangzhi » 07 Feb 2015, 11:51

Jack007 wrote:
Luoshangzhi wrote:Actually, the M42 Duster was based on the M41 Walker Bulldog chassis IIRC...

Right You Are "Luo',.. I just did a quick, "now Im curious" search and according to "MilitaryFactory.com", the Duster actually did 'start' with the Chaffee chasis, but that quickly proved outdated and then began using the M41 Walker Bulldog chasis as a replacement, hence the "M42" designation.
I was 'very' surprised to find that some 3,700 had been produced. I had no idea they were in such demand.

I would love to see the Duster and the Ontos's being produced in the 1/100 scale and it would be great in 28mm - 1/56 scale for WF miniatures, "When" they get around the Vietnam era.

IIRC the Duster came into its own not so much as a AAA vehicle but as a very nasty heavy caliber anti-personnel weapon system in the Vietnam War, being particularly effective in blasting away enemy machine gun positions, bunkers, etc. by laying down a curtain of 40mm HE fire. Ouch. :shock:
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Luoshangzhi » 07 Feb 2015, 11:52

Strawhat wrote:Rubicon certainly has grand ideas!

They're working on stowage, more tanks, half-tracks, and even some modular buildings!

I just need WGF to release their resculpted zombies, and then I can start acquiring other things...

And when they release either a Char B1bis or a SOMUA S35 Rubicon will have my undivided attention.... :lol:
Leland R. Erickson

"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Personal blog site: http://blackwidowpilot.blogspot.com
Luoshangzhi
Lieutenant

Postby Strawhat » 07 Feb 2015, 21:37

Oddly enough, I dont think there's much French buzz going on in their forum.

I'll admit that I like giving the French (military) a bad time about WWII, but the lack of French armor doesn't seem right.
Do you read Sutter Cane?
Strawhat
Chief

Postby Jack007 » 08 Feb 2015, 15:24

Luoshangzhi wrote:IIRC the Duster came into its own not so much as a AAA vehicle but as a very nasty heavy caliber anti-personnel weapon system in the Vietnam War,...
OH did it ever!
..being particularly effective in blasting away enemy machine gun positions, bunkers, etc. by laying down a curtain of 40mm HE fire. Ouch.
..virtually 'raining' very high explosive hand grenades on to a concentrated position. On the idea of 'fire suppression', a very good runner up would have to be the quad .50, of course lacking the area effect of high explosive shells.

I think a good psychological comparison, would be to say;
"If the machine gun was the nightmare of the infantryman, the Duster would, IMHO be the nightmare of the machine gunner."
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Agamemnon » 11 Feb 2015, 18:00

The reason there's not a lot of French Armor kits is that there weren't a lot of battles with French Armor. Mostly it was strategic outmaneuvering.

I like the look of the Char B1, kinda reminds me of the Matilda and the Stuart. But it didn't get much use.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby Jack007 » 18 Feb 2015, 16:52

Just a thought, but if your a company doing 28mm armor, I would think you might want to go with something like the Stuart. Geared more towards infantry support and in relation to gaming, the better chance to sell more to the same customer as they are smaller models.

However like many of you, I too have checked out their site and the models look AMAZING... if not for the single model cost and size.. I would love to have 1 or 2 or... 10 :mrgreen: of both the sherman and the Panzer III. I do hope they do the early African campaign period, having the Pzr III they 'really' need some British Matilad's, Valentines to make that period complete (more or less).

This topic caused me to have a Way Back moment:
Does anyone recall the company that produced the Snap-Tite series in this 'larger' scale. It had the Sherman tank and IIRC the Tiger or it may have been the Panzer IV. I even want to say the Russian T-34 was in the group, but that may simply be 'wishful remembering'. I believe the company was Revell. :?:
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Lord_Bryon » 19 Feb 2015, 07:39

I think Revell is what your looking for.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 19 Feb 2015, 14:14

Jack007 wrote:This topic caused me to have a Way Back moment:
Does anyone recall the company that produced the Snap-Tite series in this 'larger' scale. It had the Sherman tank and IIRC the Tiger or it may have been the Panzer IV. I even want to say the Russian T-34 was in the group, but that may simply be 'wishful remembering'. I believe the company was Revell. :?:

Well, I know that currently the Revel "snap-tite" line has three 1/48 tanks decked out for the apocalypse: a red Sherman, a grey Patton (which I own and am looking at as I write this post), and a green WWII German tank (I think it is a panzer but it could be a Tiger). I actually like them and plan getting all three and some WGF survivors for an apoc army at some point.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby wmyers » 19 Feb 2015, 17:55

bvandewalker wrote:
Jack007 wrote:This topic caused me to have a Way Back moment:

Well, I know that currently the Revel "snap-tite" line has three 1/48 tanks decked out for the apocalypse: a red Sherman, a grey Patton (which I own and am looking at as I write this post), and a green WWII German tank (I think it is a panzer but it could be a Tiger). I actually like them and plan getting all three and some WGF survivors for an apoc army at some point.

They can be repainted into historical colours. Most likely better detail than the resin Warlord vehicles (even if the Revell ones are decades old).

Mind you, the schurzen have to flipped on the German tank.

The Patton might be a good option for post-apocalyptic scenarios!
wmyers
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to General Wargaming News