Industry news question...

General news regarding Wargaming. Discuss any up coming events and conventions, great rules sets etc.

Re: Industry news question...

Postby mrinku » 29 Mar 2014, 22:36

Uniforms had changed a bit by then, especially the British. That's nearly thirty years after the ceasefire!
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Mac » 30 Mar 2014, 08:18

That is my point Mark!
Wrong war for my desired figures. ;)
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mrinku » 30 Mar 2014, 15:06

Yeah, but you know that that war belongs to the Napoleonic bracket. I don't blame WGF for not going head-to-head with Victrix, Warlord and Perry...
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 30 Mar 2014, 17:35

Lonnie wrote:Was the Old North Church at midnight with two lanterns in the steeple too much of a giveaway? :)

Not really, the "they are coming" quot was the give away (thank you years of home schooling), if it had been just pic I would have assumed you had started to make building sets. These guys are either going to be the British red coats from the AWI or some sort of multi-use sets for that war. I don't quit get why you are doing these sets, since the WSS sets can pretty much cover the AWI British (and most other European forces from that time) unless these guys come in shooting and charging poses for infantry (which would actually compliment the WSS sets). I think that the most versatile sets for this line (if you do them) would be Native Americans (or Amer-Indians as some prefer to be called) since they can be used for anything from the Dark Ages to the 1800s if done right. A set I think would be fun for this time period would be trappers, particularly if it came with a few set traps.
Last edited by bvandewalker on 30 Mar 2014, 18:09, edited 2 times in total.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby bvandewalker » 30 Mar 2014, 17:43

Rick wrote:don't forget the war of 1812 too.

Actually by that time I think the uniforms were more like the ones from the Napoleonic wars in Europe with shako hats for everyone.
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby Mac » 30 Mar 2014, 20:01

WSS are far too early for AWI. The tricorn was not fashionable in the WSS time, mostly floppy hats and uniforms far more of the type the three musketeers would wear rather than the lobsterbacks.
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mrinku » 30 Mar 2014, 20:18

Agreed. 1715-ish uniforms are not very much like 1770's ones. You may find the odd unit that still wore old fashioned kit (Grenadiers, maybe), but the line infantry definitely need different models.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 30 Mar 2014, 21:17

bvandewalker wrote:
I don't quit get why you are doing these sets, since the WSS sets can pretty much cover the AWI British (and most other European forces from that time) unless these guys come in shooting and charging poses for infantry (which would actually compliment the WSS sets).

As an Historian versed in the AWI period (among others) I nearly fell off of my chair when I read this. The differences in just the basic uniforms alone preclude any use of WSS figures as British, Continental, French or Hessians (Germans) involved in the AWI conflict. At first glance I can see how someone can make this mistake but, if I were playing the battle at Cowpens and someone showed up with WSS figures as any of the participants I wouldn't let them play no matter how well they were painted. I'm not a stickler so much for WISIWIG, if you have a 12-pounder cannon and want to call it a 3-pound grasshopper then go for it, I can give that much leeway but there has to be some sort of effort. I can also forgive someone painting up Continental figures in British colors (indeed, some Continental regiments early on had red coats) but there is only so much I can forgive as a player.

This isn't a slam or an "in your face" byandewalker, I know loads of folks who would make the same mistake on a cursory glance but upon a little closer inspection the differences really come out. If you'd like, I can suggest several books where you can compare the differences.

I'm still not confirming nor denying that we are doing AWI though. We could be doing Cthulhu/Lovecraftian sets.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby Sbloom » 30 Mar 2014, 21:25

As an English person myself I must insist that any villainous moustaches are removed from any British models prior to production. I would also demand that there are no Alan Rickman accents moulded into the sprues, as optional extras or otherwise.

Otherwise I'll be offended.
Sbloom
Cadet

Postby mrinku » 31 Mar 2014, 00:06

Lonnie wrote:I'm still not confirming nor denying that we are doing AWI though. We could be doing Cthulhu/Lovecraftian sets.

Just not with any Deep Ones, if so :)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Wargaming News