Wargames Factory Skeletons

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Re: Wargames Factory Skeletons

Postby Lonnie » 26 Apr 2014, 15:44

And we make hard plastic so...
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby mrinku » 26 Apr 2014, 17:14

I'd also think that if you're using the dip method, you'll have more than enough extra strength from the layers of varnish.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 27 Apr 2014, 01:01

mrinku wrote:I've heard of a dilute coat of PVA helping a lot with soft plastic figures, but that had more to do with stiffening and improving the paint adhesion.

I can see how white/pva glue might stiffen some miniatures, but I just cant see how a water based glue would help the paint to adhere better, but who knows, maybe it does. Its just a new one on me.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 27 Apr 2014, 03:34

I think it's mainly that the paint sticks to the PVA better than the polythene. I doubt it would have any benefit for metal or hard plastic.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Potter » 28 Apr 2014, 17:14

mrinku wrote:I've heard of a dilute coat of PVA helping a lot with soft plastic figures, but that had more to do with stiffening and improving the paint adhesion.

Yep works wonders with soft plastic figs. I used to collect Ancients and Napoleonics and the acrylics would flake and I hated using enamels. I came across this technique on the Hat.com forum/comments page and never looked back.

Seriously, you can bend a spear on a soft bodied plastic fig after using this technique and the paint won't flake.

This being said I would not recommend it for hard plastic figs, there'd be very little if anything to gain, let alone it possibly obscuring details and settling in crevices. For 15mm soft plastics, this isn't really an issue, just make sure the coating is not too thick and the figs have still been thoroughly degreased whether it's soft or hard plastic.
A simple undercoat in a colour of your own choosing works best for hard plastic 28mm's.

BTW, that skellie looks ace Lord B!
Potter
Cadet

Postby mrinku » 28 Apr 2014, 17:31

For that matter, enamels flake off pretty easily, as I recall from my childhood Airfix soft plastic soldiers painted in Humbrol enamels.

Always wondered why soft plastic was used in the first place when the same companies also made hard plastic vehicle kits and clearly could have done the same for the 1/72 figures. Child safety? Manufacturing advantage? Cost?
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Lonnie » 28 Apr 2014, 18:38

I think it was because no one expected them to be played with after they were painted because only the serious modeler who did dioramas actually put paint on them. It's easier to manufacture in soft plastic and you can get some amazing undercuts and details due to the flexibility of the material and can do them as single piece where hard plastic would require more than one piece.
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby mrinku » 28 Apr 2014, 23:14

Thanks, Lonnie. That explains things nicely.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Bramante » 27 Sep 2014, 19:24

IMG_4180 (800x600).jpg
IMG_4181 (800x600).jpg
IMG_4179 (800x600).jpg
WF Greek Skellies
Here's a whole box of the pre-remastered skeletons that I just put together. I kit-bashed them against the immortal mini's classical greeks for the helmets and the decals. I think it turned out perty good.
Bramante

Postby Lonnie » 28 Sep 2014, 06:05

Those are looking really good. I especially like the verdigris on the bronze. How was that accomplished?
Lonnie Mullins
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Painting