Painting pre-glueing

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Painting pre-glueing

Postby mawelch74 » 30 Oct 2014, 10:38

Just curious if some of you folks prime and paint model parts prior to glueing them up? I'm wondering because after gluing together my first Roman fellow, his pilum is going to be in the way of some things when I finally start painting. Shields I will certainly paint off the model, but the arms are mostly what I'm wondeirng about. Except in odd situations, I can't imagine having to paint heads off the rest of the model.
mawelch74
Cadet

Re: Painting pre-glueing

Postby wmyers » 30 Oct 2014, 19:53

mawelch74 wrote:Just curious if some of you folks prime and paint model parts prior to glueing them up? I'm wondering because after gluing together my first Roman fellow, his pilum is going to be in the way of some things when I finally start painting. Shields I will certainly paint off the model, but the arms are mostly what I'm wondeirng about. Except in odd situations, I can't imagine having to paint heads off the rest of the model.

Some people do seem to paint heads off the figures.

Painting the shields off the figures can be a very good idea!

What I have seen people do is put blue sticky tack on the area where the glue would go and then just peel/pick it off and then they have a non-painted area to glue.

Others just sand that area. Some just glue onto the paint (I have never conducted any experiments, but the commonly held theory seems to be that glue on paint is not as strong as glue on plastic - it seems logical, especially if the paint has a propensity to chip/flake/peel off).

It also depends on how people are painting - some with more details want to be able to get to hard to reach areas better - others think if something is covering it then it is more or less hidden anyway.

I know, no hard and fast answers, and I apologize but I think you should play around and see what you like and what works best.

There are tonnes of miniatures painting videos on youtube - check them out and you will see lots of different techniques and try some and see what you like (and don't like!).
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lonnie » 01 Nov 2014, 11:10

One of the many tricks I've learned over the years was stolen (and modified) from one Mike McVey used to use (I don't know if he still does it but I suspect so). MM was THE painter for GW back in the mid-late '80's through the mid-90's with his works appearing in White Dwarf and all of the Army books and any other publication GW put out. Mike only painted what the camera would see so, if the picture was taken from the front, he'd only paint the front side of the model. Occasionally I'll do something similar with my table-top figures; if a shield is covering an arm (on the second and subsequent ranks of figures in a unit) I won't bother to paint anything the shield is covering, even if I do put the shield on later and honestly, you can't tell unless you pick the models up and look at them at close range.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby bvandewalker » 05 Nov 2014, 20:55

Wow, sneaky. :twisted:
bvandewalker
Captain

Postby mawelch74 » 06 Nov 2014, 07:02

wmyers wrote:
mawelch74 wrote:Just curious if some of you folks prime and paint model parts prior to glueing them up? I'm wondering because after gluing together my first Roman fellow, his pilum is going to be in the way of some things when I finally start painting. Shields I will certainly paint off the model, but the arms are mostly what I'm wondeirng about. Except in odd situations, I can't imagine having to paint heads off the rest of the model.

Some people do seem to paint heads off the figures.

Painting the shields off the figures can be a very good idea!

What I have seen people do is put blue sticky tack on the area where the glue would go and then just peel/pick it off and then they have a non-painted area to glue.

Others just sand that area. Some just glue onto the paint (I have never conducted any experiments, but the commonly held theory seems to be that glue on paint is not as strong as glue on plastic - it seems logical, especially if the paint has a propensity to chip/flake/peel off).

It also depends on how people are painting - some with more details want to be able to get to hard to reach areas better - others think if something is covering it then it is more or less hidden anyway.

I know, no hard and fast answers, and I apologize but I think you should play around and see what you like and what works best.

There are tonnes of miniatures painting videos on youtube - check them out and you will see lots of different techniques and try some and see what you like (and don't like!).

Oh, I wasn't expecting a hard-and-fast answer, was just curious. I think the larger problem with this particular guy is that I put the pilum-wielding arm on in a wrong position. It's more in a stabbing position, not cocked back in a throwing position, which causes the pilum to be in the way. This is what spawned my question. Then I saw the guide to paining Late Republican Romans posted elsewhere on the forum and noticed that the models in the pictures all had the pilum arm way back(which makes more sense) which pushes the pilum up and out of the way of the face, etc. I almost pulled it off and remounted it, but I kind of liked the idea that the guy got mobbed before he could toss the thing and is now stuck with using it to stave off some dirty, long-haired Gauls.

I may try painting unassembled for my next model. The idea of the tack material to cover the plastic is a good one. As I'm still trying to work out how to paint highly detailed models, this isn't my main concern, just want to alleviate some of the headaches I've found myself developing when I get into tight spots as my brush control isn't exactly top notch just yet. Not to mention I'm still puzzling out exactly how to paint with more detail.

Believe me, I've watched piles upon piles of videos. It had my head spinning at one point. So many people paint in different ways, digesting all one takes in can be a bit difficult. I have a general understanding, but when I try to put it into practice, I get a tad gun shy.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.
mawelch74
Cadet

Postby mrinku » 07 Nov 2014, 00:24

I've tried it on occasion, but generally find it more convenient to fully assemble first. I tend to do a lot of pose conversion anyway, though. I have done separate shields sometimes, but you still have to glue them on at some point.

With vehicle models it's a different matter. Very often it's best to fully paint the interior of a cockpit or other indented area before assembling it fully, because there's no way you'll be able to do so easily once it's all together. Even if you're just going to leave it black, it's normally easier to do that bit before assembly.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Return to Painting