Quick question

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Re: Quick question

Postby Lord_Bryon » 20 Nov 2014, 12:45

if your primed in white or grey primer. I would have only painted the metal parts of the shields black. It sounds like you need to thin down your paint. If you using it strait from the bottle its usually to thick. I like my paint to be more or less the consistency of milk. When covering large areas I tend to cheat and use the GW basecoat colors (I think for red I use something called Mechrite Red, but I don't have it near enough to be sure) anyway, the base coat colors generally cover up black in one coat. Then I use thin highlights to get the desired color. But I'm by no means an expert. I think you should try thinning the paint for sure. I've found that I like the results much better when I apply multiple thin coats vs. a single THICK one..
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Agamemnon » 21 Nov 2014, 17:49

If you're priming white, then work from a white base, don't try to re-do it in black unless black is the end color.

After painting red, use darker washes for depth and definition, then highlight back up.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby Mac » 22 Nov 2014, 15:00

"What's worn under your kilt?"
"Nothing, everything works like new."
Mac
Lieutenant

Location: Hold up your left hand. Point to the place just between your pinky and ring finger!

Postby mawelch74 » 25 Nov 2014, 09:26

I'm currently priming in grey. So basically, only those items that I will end up dry brushing should be painted in black to allow for the contrast? Makes sense. I'm learning, so I'm doing a lot of experimenting.

On the shields, they ended up turning out well enough. I diluted the paint a bit, but also slowed down and I got things to smooth out nicely.
mawelch74
Cadet

Previous

Return to Painting