Quick question

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Quick question

Postby mawelch74 » 05 Nov 2014, 19:38

So, painting a Roman legionary this evening. What in the world do you do with the underneath portion of what would be the tunic? It's solid and I don't think painting it all red or whatever solid color one would use on the visible portions of the tunic. Should I just leave it the black undercoating color, painting just the edges whatever color I'm using? In real life, that solid area between the legs wouldn't be there, so it's sort of awkward.
mawelch74
Cadet

Re: Quick question

Postby Agamemnon » 06 Nov 2014, 03:49

I'd still go with all red.
Londo: "The Minbari put great emphasis on art, literature and music." Say instead: "They are decadent people, interested only in the pursuit of... of dubious pleasures." It doesn't mean anything, but it scares people every time!
Agamemnon
Crewman

Postby mawelch74 » 06 Nov 2014, 06:47

That was my original thinking, then I started thinking myself out of thinking that. I'm sure it won't much matter. I don't know how often people pick these things up to inspect them from the bottom. Thanks for the reply!
mawelch74
Cadet

Postby Lord_Bryon » 06 Nov 2014, 07:32

I agree with Agamemnon, however leaving it black works too.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby mrinku » 07 Nov 2014, 00:04

I've always just left skirt and cuff interiors black. If you want to be *super* detailed you could dremel out the solid part out to make it hollow, and/or use putty to add an overhang.

Painting it a much darker shade of the cloth colour probably works as well (and is probably a sensible option for open cuffs).
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby mawelch74 » 07 Nov 2014, 07:37

mrinku wrote:I've always just left skirt and cuff interiors black.

Does this include cuffs on sleeves? As I was painting, I was wondering about this area. I painted the tunic red all the way down to the arm and the more I've looked at it, the more it bothers me. I can see how leaving that area black would work. Something to think about for my next effort.

I'll pass on dremel'ing out the underside. I can see nothing but a mess of melted plastic coming from that effort. Ha.

Thanks to all of you guys for the suggestions. Appreciated!
mawelch74
Cadet

Postby Lonnie » 07 Nov 2014, 12:31

I always leave it black.
Lonnie Mullins
Former Director of Product Development, Research and Design
Wargames Factory
Lonnie
Commander

Postby wilkie » 12 Nov 2014, 11:48

If I catch anybody looking under my miniatures for a "Party Time Julius", that person will suddenly encounter a very awkward series of questions voiced loudly enough for everyone to hear.

I leave them the color of the undercoating. Usually black.
wilkie
Cadet

Postby Lord_Bryon » 13 Nov 2014, 15:59

LOL
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby mawelch74 » 20 Nov 2014, 11:50

You guys have been a great help so far, thus, I have another question(and probably a thousand more to follow)!

Because I'm either cheap or lazy, I only have white and grey primer, no black(yet, this weekend it shall be mine). So I've been messing around on some Roman shields and after priming, painted them black. After taking care of the boss and spine, I started to paint the surface of the shield red. The paint didn't seem to want to go on smoothly whatsoever. I'm using Vallejo Model Color, btw, straight from the bottle. Now, I don't know if I was getting into it and therefore got overzealous or if it's just a bad idea to try to paint them the way I am. I am thinking it's more the former. I feel like if I had done a few coats of red, I'd have hit the target and not gotten frustrated. Any thoughts? One of them is really bad. You can see the layers of paint pretty clearly. Ugh.
mawelch74
Cadet

Next

Return to Painting