Saxon Shield Step by Step

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Saxon Shield Step by Step

Postby Dr Mathias » 10 Nov 2014, 21:25

When I was taking photos of the Viking warrior for my painting tutorial, I forgot to take a sequence when I did the shield weathering. I felt bad about it, so...

Saxon Shield Tutorial

1. This tutorial starts with a mostly finished Wargames Factory Saxon Thegn warrior- I typically save the shield for last.

2. I apply the base tones, slightly darker than what I want in the end. If you want a weathered and beaten shield, it is okay (and maybe even a good idea) to leave the base coat a little patchy. In this case I used Games Workshop ‘Deneb Stone’ mixed with white (about 50/50) and Games Workshop ‘Knarlock Green’ with a touch of ‘Orkhide’. When laying out the design, be aware of the rivets- they serve as a useful guide for dividing the round surface equally.

3. I added a little more white to the ‘Deneb Stone’ and a little of the ‘Deneb Stone/white’ mix to the green. I think it looks good to leave a hint of line where the colors meet.

4. For tears in the leather cover, I paint on a medium to dark brown. I think this was a Ceramcoat “Burnt Umber’.

5. I paint a sliver of light brown over the dark brown cuts, trying not to cover them up completely. It is okay if you miss on a couple, or put the lines adjacent rather than overlapping.

6. With a lighter layer of the color used for the shield colors, paint a thin highlight next to a few of the rents.

7. Lastly I create a dirty or stained layer using brown paint thinned with water or a purpose made transparent wash. In this case I used a Secret Weapon wash, ‘Dark Sepia’. At this point I often add a little of the thin stain color to the lower legs and shoes.

Thanks for looking!
… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Blog: Dr Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza
Dr Mathias
Crewman

Re: Saxon Shield Step by Step

Postby Lord_Bryon » 11 Nov 2014, 07:36

Great Tutorial. Thank you for sharing.

The eyes on this mini are fantastic.
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Badger » 11 Nov 2014, 14:39

How did you do that base?
Badger
Cadet

Postby Dr Mathias » 12 Nov 2014, 09:09

Badger wrote:How did you do that base?

The base itself is a WGF plastic square base. After attaching all the limbs, weapon, shield, etc. I glued the figure to the base with styrene cement. Then I use joint compound (drywall crack filler) to fill in the area around the feet so that the integral base tab transitions down to the base edge.

I talk about it in my Viking Tutorial but I didn't show that step. Next time I do it I'll take pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=326
Dr Mathias
Crewman

Postby Badger » 12 Nov 2014, 11:12

Well it looks amazing. It's like you've reached down with the hand of god and ripped up a perfectly square slab of slate.
I'd be very interested in some basing techniques.
Badger
Cadet

Postby Dr Mathias » 12 Nov 2014, 11:18

Thanks, I paint over that surface later though :)

The speckled look comes from the way I prime things, I usually use two colors, dark from below and white from above.
Dr Mathias
Crewman

Return to Painting