Dark skin tones

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Dark skin tones

Postby Badger » 28 May 2015, 07:29

Any one ever paint some darker tones on figures? Looking to do something like Sudanese or Zulu or similar.
Badger
Cadet

Re: Dark skin tones

Postby Saul_Dagenham » 28 May 2015, 11:15

I've found that using multiple inks/washes over a base skintone paint and highlight, gives the best results with the lesser hassle.
Saul_Dagenham
Cadet

Postby mrinku » 28 May 2015, 19:10

Like horses, all humans are brown*.

As Saul says, let your shading do the work.

I've not done a lot, but as with lighter skin you don't want to start *too* dark unless you're using a layering technique.

This article might help for some:

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=painting-dark-african-skin

(*Unless you're the Hulk)
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Dr Mathias » 28 May 2015, 20:34

I put a step-by-step tutorial for how I do African skin on the Lead Adventure Forum:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php? ... #msg676922

… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Blog: Dr Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza
Dr Mathias
Crewman

Postby Badger » 29 May 2015, 20:48

Thanks guys. Wow these look amazing. :o
Badger
Cadet

Postby Jack007 » 02 Jun 2015, 17:36

These guys look Great!
I avoid painting the'whites of the eyes' for fear of getting what I call the "Bug Eyed" effect. A problem you dont seem to have. Very Nice.

Im also looking to find tips on painting Asian skin tones for the Japanese American (Nisei) soldiers of the 442nd Regimental Combat team. There is another company that does the actual miniatures, but for the most part I intend to buy the bulk of my troops, axis AND allied from WF.

Had to add...
I just read through your tutorial on your "Darkest Africa" project (for lack of more accurate term) it all looks incredible. Even though Im most fond of the British Zulu wars, I have sorely been tempted and hoped someone (WF) would due more Colonial in plastic. I know one that has the Mahadist and they look great from what I can tell. Sikhs would be a wonderfu add on as well. Especially if my hands were as steady as yours.

(my hat is off Dr.) Very Nice
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Dr Mathias » 03 Jun 2015, 19:33

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Jack007 wrote: I avoid painting the'whites of the eyes' for fear of getting what I call the "Bug Eyed" effect. A problem you dont seem to have. Very Nice.

The bug eye is definitely to be avoided, I find a thin wash of dark brown will subdue them if they pop out too much. Eye whites aren't actually white after all :)

I was going through some boxes of old minis of mine and found some ostriches that have a terrible case- they look like cartoon characters :)
… a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Blog: Dr Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza
Dr Mathias
Crewman

Postby mrinku » 03 Jun 2015, 19:47

Clearly time to break out an old copy of Toon, Doc.

Jack, just paint Asian skin with a light skin tone (i.e Elf Flesh) and a browner wash than you'd use for the big nose western barbarians. Avoid your redder shades of both and it should be fine. Lighter skinned humans who have been sun tanned (i.e. most soldiers who have been in the field for any time) tend towards the same shade of tan anyway. Farmers from Devon, Greece, Japan or Vietnam will have far more similar skin tone to each other than any of them would to a Scots librarian.

The Perry Anasar kit is really good for a range of African and middle eastern models. You can easily make Arabs, Indians and sub-Saharans without conversion because of the variety of clothing and large range of heads. Lots of bald ones, lots of fezzes, a few turbans and the fuzzy-wuzzy ones that are surprisingly versatile if you carve off select hair parts and touch them up with putty.

Good variety of facial features as well, including some light beards.

Great variety of weapons including Remington rifles, too.

I made up a few the other day as armed safari bearers. Stick the fez heads on Zulu British bodies and you have Askaris, or on ACW Zouaves to make Tiraillieurs. The bald heads and robe bodies make great monks, too.

Some of mine have been used as Japanese peasants, Canal Martian cultists, Arab assassins and a British explorer in a night shirt. An excellent kit that should be an example to all 28mm plastic makers about how to do it right.
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Postby Jack007 » 04 Jun 2015, 16:06

Dr Mathias wrote:Thanks guys, appreciated.

The bug eye is definitely to be avoided, I find a thin wash of dark brown will subdue them if they pop out too much.

I was going through some boxes of old.. and found some ostriches that have a terrible case-
No disrespect to the painter, but I seem to recall some of the first miniatures painted, for and posted by WF when the WSS line was relased, 'suffered' from the same problem. To see an entire unit with that "Oh My God" expression was kind of humorous I must admit.

mrinku wrote:Jack, just paint Asian skin with a light skin tone (i.e Elf Flesh) and a browner wash than you'd use for the big nose western barbarians. Avoid your redder shades of both and it should be fine.
Mrinku,

Thanks for the painting advice, rest assured it will not be forgotten when I start my Nisei project.
As to the African miniatures from Perry, I have seen them and yes they really look great. However I had no idea they were so versatile. Do you have a Photobucket site by chance, would like to see some of those if possible.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby mrinku » 04 Jun 2015, 19:07

Jack, I do, but haven't added anything for a while. A lot of them are in undercoat, but that's the only "progress". Most of the relevant conversions are on these two threads:

Japanese models:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=201

Colonial/Space:1889 stuff

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=257

A couple of the ones I mentioned may not be on those threads because they had no WGF parts, but were posted on TMP around the same date. If you search TMP you should be able to find the thread.

*Edit* Had a look and I can't find the colonial one. Might have been on Leadadventures?

I hope to do some work this weekend and if so I'll update. Some of them may even get painted!
Mark Dewis
mrinku
Commander

Next

Return to Painting