Skellies!

Share your painted figures and painting projects; painting tips and techniques.

Skellies!

Postby Jay Adan » 09 Jun 2015, 18:05

I love skeletons... and yet so few companies do good ones. These are definitely amongst my favorites.

ImageWargames Factory Skeleton Warriors by Jay Adan, on Flickr
Jay Adan

Re: Skellies!

Postby Jack007 » 09 Jun 2015, 18:22

Jay Adan wrote:I love skeletons... and yet so few companies do good ones. These are definitely amongst my favorites.
Those ROCK! I DO hope when you can you will post more pics.

Im with you skeletons are some of the coolest of all fantasy miniatures, (Thank You Ray Harryhausen). Im just not sure I have the steadiness of hand these days, as some have said that they (WF's) can be 'a bit fidgitty', too build them.
"You see old friend. I brought more soldiers than you did." *Leonidas-300
Jack007
Lieutenant

Postby Jay Adan » 09 Jun 2015, 19:04

Jack007 wrote:Im with you skeletons are some of the coolest of all fantasy miniatures, (Thank You Ray Harryhausen). Im just not sure I have the steadiness of hand these days, as some have said that they (WF's) can be 'a bit fidgitty', too build them.

I have to say that I'm pretty sure that it took as long to build them as it did to paint them. In fact, it probably took longer because this is a pretty simple paint job (believe it or not).

The paint is:

Grey primer

Bones:
Khaki base coat applied with airbrush.
Bone white straight down from above with airbrush (for highlight).
Apply Agrax Earthshade wash - let dry.
Apply transparent coat of bone white from above again with airbrush to highlight (again) and reduce unwanted contrast left over from wash.

Weapons/Shields:
Dark brown base.
Bronze over shields and weapon handles
Apply thin mix of Citadel patina wash (can't recall the name) and let dry. Put a thin coat of agrax earthshade over that (because the patina is a little too bright on its own).
Stipple rust orange on to weapons, wash with Vallejo dark rust wash.

Base to taste.
Jay Adan

Postby wmyers » 09 Jun 2015, 21:59

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the painting technique.
wmyers
Lieutenant

Postby Lord_Bryon » 10 Jun 2015, 08:07

Well done.. I really like the patina on the shields and the rust is great.

Just went through your flicker album. WOW! you're an amazing painter.

I have a question about the Myth miniatures? How do they compare scale wise to other 28mm mini's
Lord_Bryon
Commander

Postby Jay Adan » 10 Jun 2015, 19:26

Lord_Bryon wrote:Well done.. I really like the patina on the shields and the rust is great.

Just went through your flicker album. WOW! you're an amazing painter.

I have a question about the Myth miniatures? How do they compare scale wise to other 28mm mini's

Thanks. I've been painting for years and once you start doing it professionally, your skills tend to increase quickly.

As for the Myth minis... they're a little all over the map. For the most part they seem to be akin to GW Warhammer scaling, but the heroes seem to be a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Not the best consistency I've ever seen.
Jay Adan

Return to Painting